Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-06-2006, 07:01 PM   #1

Can anyone give me an idea of what the letters and numbers mean that are used as a truck description here:

http://www.truckpaper.com/modelList.asp?bcatid=27&manu=...4A76BF0CEEC40BB4FE 73

I'm seeing things like

FLA...with numbers following
FLB...
FLC...
FLD...

or with the Volvo's here:

http://www.truckpaper.com/modelList.asp?bcatid=27&manu=...4A76BF0CEEC40BB4FE 73

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 11:55 PM   #2

For the Freightliners the FLD is the square nosed class 8. FLD132 is the "classic", 132 inches from front axle to back of sleeper - front axle not set back, the front tires are right up against the bumper. FLD120 has the front axle set back so 120 inches from front axle center to back of sleeper. FLC is the Century Class and they are FLC120, sloping hood and more rounded grill. Maybe the Columbia fits into this one too. In all these the cab interior and sleeper are essentially the same and they can come with a raised roof or a mid roof that is about like the truck cab height.

My Volvo experience goes back to the first rounded looking ones and the 610 had a 61 inch sleeper and it height was the same as the truck's day cab. The 660 had a 66 inch sleeper with a raised roof. The 770 had a 77 inch raised roof sleeper and it had windows at the driver's door level that the others didn't have. The newer Volvos have numbers like 780 and 880, etc. which is a take off on the earlier set.

On truckpaper you can comper photos for the different listings and see the differences.

Hope this helps.

medent, El Paso

medent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #3

You're close-
FLD120 is 120" from bumper to back of CAB. Doesn't matter which sleeper. There are also FLD112's and FLC112's with 8" less between bumper and back-of-cab (BBC). Also, the Century and Columbia use a completely different cab than the FLD series. The mid-roof sleepers are a bit higher than the daycabs. Also, look for former sleeper units that the factory is converting to daycabs that are a bit longer and still have the "flare" in cab width behind the front seats. They still have the extra headroom and a bit more length than the original daycabs.
On the Volvos the 610 series is also a little higher than the daycab versions.
The Freightliner designations are-
FLA & FLB- Earlier and later cabovers BEFORE the Argosy
FLC- Century and Columbia 112 and 120" BBC
FLD- Older conventionals in 112,120, and 132" BBC
I hope this helps-
Gary
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #4

Yes, bumper to back of cab is an important dimension, especially it used to be when everything started as a day cab and that dimension took away from pay load space; length limits were restrictive. I hope my misinformation has not caused anyone any trouble. In looking a lots of pictures on truckpaper.com it looks to me like one difference between FLD120 & FLD132 is the set back front axle in the FLD120, something like that 12 inch difference; from the front of the bumper to the back of the sleeper is essentially the same when the sleepers are the same but the front axle can be way up for maximum bridge dimension (frontmost to rearmost axles) or set back as is so common now and bridge dimension not used so restrictively in most states. The BBC dimension is harder to visualize when its not a day cab and sleepers can have various lengths (as well as heights). Yes, the FLCs have a wider cab than the FLD and it does not accommodate an exhaust stack right behind the doors like usually seen on FLD132 and sometimes on the FLD120. However, the interior cab layout on these Freightliners with a given sleeper dimension is very similar and is pretty driver friendly but not perfect.

medent
medent is offline   Reply With Quote