Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-04-2008, 12:30 PM   #1

Hi all. New to the board and hoping to gain and contribute some valuable info.

I've heard that Jet fuel used in commercial planes is basically the same as diesel #2 with less lubricating additives but it can be run in diesel motors as long as you add some lubrication like a two stroke oil. I've talked to a couple guys that have run it in powerstrokes and duramax's with no problems.

Anyone used in their big rig, esp MB450?

BigSkyLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #2

Jet A is over $1 per gallon more than diesel - at least here in PA. I am curious as to why you'd want to use that in your truck?

TransportDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:37 PM   #3

I've got a source to get it free.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #4

Hey,...sounds like a deal,...can you get us some??
Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #5

.....the old M-35A1's of vietnam days were multi-fuel and did rather well on JP4 with oil added...they would burn anything available with addition of oil at a ratio-that I can't remember at this time.....have to look it up sometime.....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #6

I get pretty limited quantities but really want to make sure it's safe to use before using it in my $200K+ rig. Of course the freightliner service dept is of no help cause they can't recommend anything but pump fuel.

Anyone know if there's anything with these engines that would different than any other diesel. Each manufacturer seems to have certain quirks a sometimes minor differences.

Thanks for the input.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:18 PM   #7

Better to install a propane injection unit for extra power, Also add a quality two stroke oil to diesel fuel. Tips from an ex trucker.
MissBehavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM   #8

BigSky

Perhaps it would be a good idea to consult with a fuel chemist. Somebody who knows exactly what is inside a fuel and what is the difference between the two.

I guess these folks would work at places like Chevron, Exxon, Shell...??? God only knows where they would hang out on the internet. Maybe you could find an unemployed Fuel Chemist and hire him for a few hours as a consultant?

Seems to be a good idea as a damaged motor would be costly to repair.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally posted by BigSkyLLC:
I get pretty limited quantities but really want to make sure it's safe to use before using it in my $200K+ rig. Of course the freightliner service dept is of no help cause they can't recommend anything but pump fuel.

Anyone know if there's anything with these engines that would different than any other diesel. Each manufacturer seems to have certain quirks a sometimes minor differences.

Thanks for the input.
You ask that last question, but you didn't tell us who made your engine. Freightliner doesn't make engines. I'm an ex trucker, and if it's a cummins it has a better jake brake switch if equipped, and if it's a detroit diesel, they run hot on hills, if youre going up a big hill and your temp gets high, it's not overheated until it hits 220. If you have to downshift to keep the engine cool to the point that youre at less than 10mph, pull over and let it cool.
but on a cummins, well the one i drove had a big overheat light that came on at 215 degrees. shrug.

Lexxi is offline   Reply With Quote