Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #1

What are my options in this category. Seems unlikely I can find a used one unless it was used by another RV'er. Right or Wrong?

Need to pull 20K or so 5th wheel.

Old 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM   #2

.....USED rv'ERS are the most expensive way to go.....there are plenty of X-military and X- state and X-county trucks that are 4 door unites but you are getting into a lot of work/refitting but they are cheap and mostly spring rides I looked at mills last month and they have a 4 door with 4 wheel drive for $19,000 with a front mounted winch I think it was a '93 International>20,000 miles.... It all depends on what you want and what you can tolorate....so make some specs and we will all can join in on the hunt.....geof

Old 07-06-2004, 06:41 PM   #3

Thanx for the reply. I am interested in any medium conversions done out there or even prices on trucks not converted yet.

Preference for automatic transmission and maybe 400 hp diesel.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:40 PM   #4

RANDY...visit some used wrecker and new wrecker sites...I saw 2 new unites that were 4 door just tonite...when I was looking for new equipment in '01 they were MSRP'd in the 50's so a used truck now would be worth about half that price.....400hp is a little much for a roll-off wrecker may be 330 or 350 depending on the engine manufacture....the rest is mostly standard now auto-plush interior A/C etc etc.....aluminum vs steel bed is just a sales issue now they cost the same now..geof
Old 07-08-2004, 12:22 PM   #5

Randy -

At 400 hp you have taken yourself out of the MDT category. Pulling 20K trailer you won't need 400 hp unless you hang out in the mountains. So I guess you first need to define your pony needs.

Also when you say you want a automatic, are we taking a like automotive auto or auto shift? You should check out the new FL M2-106. You can spec it with Allisons 6 speed world tranny which is very smoooottthhh and a 300 hp motor. This is basically the same setup as most pushers.

When your looking at MDT's over Class 8's your luck will run out much quicker. MDT's are generally used inner city and beat, not saying class 8's aren't hammered on, but I think it is easier to spot a bogus 8 than MDT. Also if you go used, check that rear end! Most inner city trucks are setup up to run 55-60 mph tops.

Here is a sweet ride --> http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/f...earch%3DSearch
Old 07-08-2004, 07:47 PM   #6

I went and looked at this truck, and for the price, I don't see the point. It costs darned near as much as an awfully nice brand new class 8, and is not nearly as capable. The motor is too small (torque being the really important issue here) and this is spec'd with the auto tranny. At least get a 10 speed auto-shift, and 1200+ foot pounds of torque, unless you want to fall on your face everytime you see a hill.

Doug is offline   Reply With Quote