Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Default Toter insurance vs motorhome insurance

I am selling my renegade 16tlq toterhome and I am planning an upgrade to either a 22foot toter or something around a 30 foot motorhome conversion. I will probably go with renegade or possibly haulmark. I have national interstate insurance and was told they were the only ones who did toterhomes? I'm located in NC.
Well I think they are charging me too much, so the other day I got a quote from progressive. They were a lot cheaper with better coverage. I called them and gave them the vin number and I was told that the toter really didn't matter they would consider it a motorhome, the gooseneck hitch did not make any difference.

I have a perfect driving record with cdls for 10 years, and national interstate was 1100 year with minimum coverage, progressive was 988 with a lot higher value and better coverage, same deductibles. Anyone run progressive insurance?

Old 04-03-2017, 12:20 AM   #2

We have Progressive via USAA (USAA does not insure boat/rv/toys, partners with Progressive for those items) on our Renegade Motorhome.

mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:54 AM   #3

Initially when we bought the coach we had an coverage through BlueSky RV Insurance.

Texas Insurance (regulators) permitted an across the board increase (for all vehicle insurance underwriters) and the cost of coverage (would have) nearly doubled.

All our other vehicles are insured with Allstate and Allstate gave us a good rate on the coach so we moved (and saved money too).

WE have spotless records, 15+ yrs - the policy w/ allstate runs us about 900 a year w/ no milage or usage limits a low deductible and replacement coverage.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Some insurance companies pay claims... other insurance companies will do anything, (including turn against you) to avoid paying a claim. Do you research!!!! I operate a business which gives me insight into how companies treat their customers. One of the companies mentioned above places maintaining low rates way above integrity.
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

strong accusations w/out substantiation or recommendations.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #6

Yes they are strong accusations, and I re-wrote the post 2x and tamed it down both times... It was a lot stronger!

That's why I said "do your research" The difference in the way companies treat the customer in a loss situation is astounding. Just use google.

I'm not going to go into further details, but let's just say it's nice to have a pit bull for protection until it turns on you. You better have the resources to ensure that it remains respectful of you.

I'm a happy person and don't go around picking fights... I only mention this out of genuine concern for you folks that may have a claim sometime... again, if you've googled it and feel comfortable it's on you!
asitool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Its easy to find dissatisfied customers for nearly every business in the world, using google.
Theres fake news everywhere.

I'm not sure what the mystery is in your avoidance of naming carriers.
The entire purpose of these forums is to share 1st hand knowledge and 1st hand EXPERIENCE.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:40 PM   #8

Just curious, but is george soros tied in with progressive? I thought I had read that somewhere? Not trying to get too political, but I am genuinely interested.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:26 PM   #9

I also have Progressive through USAA on our one-off coach. They sent someone out to take pictures and document what the coach was when coverage started.
DeepVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #10

We insured our Renegade through Erie Insurance. We drowned our generator and had the stator replaced in Edmonton, AB without a thought about insurance. I called them at the recommendation of the repair shop technician. All Erie wanted was a brief explanation of what happened and a photo of the receipt! There was a check waiting for us when we got home.

I'd recommend Erie for Home, Auto, RV, Marine, and Liability insurance. They have been great to work with.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #11

May check out American National Property and Casualty Company too. I have a street rod that is parked most of the year and for $8.00 a year it is fully covered for a replacement value of $25,000. If I want to drive it I call my agent and she activates a policy for minimum 30 days for a set fee. (I think it was $100.00 a month last time I drove it for a holiday event so I drove it the 30 days and parked it again.)
The other nice thing is we have all of our vehicles insured with them and if we have no claims for three years we started to get refund checks for the first year premium of 25% and as long as you have no claims the cycle continues so every year you get 25% back for the 3rd year back. I found them by a friend and when I signed up my friend received a referral check for a $100.00.

ChiefMechanicMark is offline   Reply With Quote