Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-31-2004, 08:54 PM   #1

ok, so in California, the law says max 65ft total length for any combination of vehicles, except tractor + trailers cannot exceed a total length of 75 ft. Does any one know if a truck conversion that tows a tag trailer fits the description of a tractor trailer? or are we strictly limited to 65ft?

BTW, I was at the races this weekend checking out some rigs. I was talking to one guy who had a 32ft conversion (not including cab)from NRC and what had to be near a 35 ft trailer. I asked him if he knew the bumber to bumper length of his rig and he grinned ear to ear and told me 83 ft. I said 'by the look on your face, you know that is over the limit'. He knew and said there are some guys with rigs even longer. He also said that he hadn't been pulled over about it and that none of the other guys he knows have been either, but he thinks they will be getting serious about enforcing the limits pretty soon.

Not that I would think of doing that... well, prolly not.

Mike

Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:22 PM   #2

....here in Ohio the trailer with load can be only 53' max with out a placard and permit....says nothing about the tractor....geof....seen a few th et were more than 80' for circus/construction and some bulk insulation haulers...

Old 08-01-2004, 07:16 AM   #3

There are alot of toterhome, motorhome, trailer combinations over the length limits.. your probably not going to be stopped by ordinary officers because they know little or nothing about these laws. Trouble happens when you happen accross the DOT officer. He carries a tape measure!
stim8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:19 AM   #4

Back a couple of years ago in California there was a ruckus about motorhomes or other single vehicles not being over 40 feet. There was alot of discussion because of the 45 foot Prevosts and such. Never heard how that played out.
stim8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 PM   #5

I will try to find the issue and get the full detail. There was a mention in a recient issue of National Dragster by a racer from Oregon. He was headed for the race in Topeka KS.

He was going to go I-80 through Wyo, go south into Colorado on I-25 and then I-70 through KS. His buddys convinced him to stay on I-80 through Nebraska then go south to KS.

He was in a large conversion motorhome towing a large race trailer. His length was around 80 ft.

He was pulled over by a Nebraska state trooper and given a ticket for being to long. I believe the ticket amount he mentioned was $284.
Old 08-01-2004, 09:02 PM   #6

.....the son of a DOT Office works for me here in Mariemont Ohio-just east of Cincinnati......I get the official scoop without the ticket issue. Las week he advised me to add the DOT red and white stripe tape to the sides of my Volvo and my wrecker...guess what I'm doing Monday....geof