Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Default Toilet Rebuild & Mod

since traffic is a bit slow...ill chat it up a little.

our toilet water seal (blade type) has had a slow leak for sometime, hadnt been a big deal (weve never had an odor issue & i keep our tanks very clean) -

last year i used a couple of treatments of this stuff... and it seemed to work pretty well.

Ive been doing some maintenance items (general tinkering) w/ the "winter" down time & figured it was time to replace the seal.

I bought the UPPER seal kit (easy job but pretty involved)....and i took the time to add the water saver / sprayer while i had everything a part.

I got everything back together and tested for leaks w/ the toilet off, in my garage (filled the bowl & let it sit)....im happy w/ the repair & i got less than 1 drop/drip per hour (would have been nice to have NONE) but the seal isnt all that precise anyway....it holds water for over a week now....where it wasnt holding water for even an hour before.

I also decided to add the riser option (our "water closet" is small & im tall).

Im happy w/ the riser option...although i joked & said my wife may need a box to rest her (dangling) feet on (shes short).

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #2

Good deal, Don. I have thought about changing the seal on mine since my rig is an '03 and I'm guessing it's original. But, mine doesn't seem to be leaking very much, if at all. I know it'll hold water for over a month. That seal conditioner. Do you just pour it in and leave it sit in the bowl? Put it all over your hands and massage the seal? Drink it and then deposit it in the bowl? Maybe I'll try some of that as a maintenance measure. I've got the Thetford Aria with the electric push button flush. I sure hope that doesn't break.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

yeah bob, the seal "conditioner" - pour it in and leave it....if i had to guess, id say it softens the seal...i bought a bottle of it, poured it in the bowl occasionally when i put the coach in storage and new i would have no need to "flush" for a week or so.

as for thetford parts/repairs...parts are readily available and reasonably priced <imo>, my (upper seal) kit was bout 50 bucks and came w/ everything i needed (except some dap caulk)....the kit included all new (replacement) screws & a base (aka wax) seal.

the riser (option) was all of 30 bucks.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote