Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-05-2015, 09:22 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
That sounds good. Did you work with Joe?
Both Joe and then the other guy (forget his name off top of my head right now) that is Joe's partner. I actually picked up my T/C at the IN shop location, not OH, as they did several upgrades on mine so it was at the shop in IN.

Both Joe and the partner guy have regular used car lots, and the Racing RVs is a third business they work together. I think Joe is more of the marketing/sales guy and the partner is the repairs/upgrade guy; although they both do whatever is needed. Both were nice to work with, most of my interaction was by telephone or email.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Both Joe and then the other guy (forget his name off top of my head right now) that is Joe's partner. I actually picked up my T/C at the IN shop location, not OH, as they did several upgrades on mine so it was at the shop in IN.

Both Joe and the partner guy have regular used car lots, and the Racing RVs is a third business they work together. I think Joe is more of the marketing/sales guy and the partner is the repairs/upgrade guy; although they both do whatever is needed. Both were nice to work with, most of my interaction was by telephone or email.
If you have a minute, please tell me about the upgrades they performed for you. We wanted to do a few upgrades (most importantly, installing a washer/dryer) as well, and they welcomed the opportunity to do them, but were reluctant because we had not seen any examples of their work.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 PM   #43

thanks for the pm
Old 11-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #44

Quote:
RENEGADE CORONADO 2006 in Connersville Indianapolis South Columbus | IN | Racing RVs | ECORON

I still have a professional RV inspection, second test drive, and walkthrough pending at this point. Hope to take delivery on Saturday if all goes well. Dealer has been great to work with.
looks nice!

nice low hours on the gen.
check the dates on those tires, determine when/if they'll need to be replaced.

bonus on the outdoor cooler, but you'll want to upgrade that tube/tv outside (i still haven't upgraded ours).

if you figure out what all those (3) option switched on the dash are for, let me know....ive STILL got one i have no idea of what it does.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #45

Thanks! I spent four evenings reading (and highlighting) the 141 page operator's manual. I still haven't figured those switches out yet. I will re-read the manual tomorrow on the plane.

The tires are represented as one year old, they look new, but I confess I neglected to check the date of manufacture. Where would it be located on a Michelin?

The DW is having me remove the outdoor entertainment center to convert that area to more storage. I hope to save the insert, so I may upgrade the electronics and reinstall it if we decide to sell or trade later.

***just learned that the NRVIA inspector makes a tire inspection and the tire specifics part of the report. He is inspecting the unit now.

The outdoor cooler/freezer was on my double secret wish list (the list that takes a back seat to the wife's list). I'm hoping that will come home from Alaska full of halibut and salmon

Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:03 AM   #46

We love our 64qt EdgeStar cooler....itll hold 120+ cans....or a few less if i have to pack something special for the DW.
We don't make great use of the outdoor TV - but we do use it for local new/weather etc when camping.

Storage wise:

I installed some a shelf in our FRONT bin - we keep chairs, an extend-n-climb ladder, outdoor mat and lots of other crap
our REAR most bin hold a tool box, too many 12x12 3/4 inch plywood jack pads, our grill, wash brush, collapsible trash can, hoses and extension cords

overflow storage goes into our center bin (where the cooler is)...usually a case of water, brake buddy and plenty of room for more.

if we got rid of the TUBE TV and installed a flat screen that folds we'd have even more storage.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM   #47

do you find the jack pads are often necessary?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #48

What is the best roadside assistance to purchase?
Old 11-06-2015, 11:03 PM   #49

Quote:
What is the best roadside assistance to purchase?
I have Coach-Net, and they were willing to tow mine when I lost a U-joint and carrier bearing. But I found a local mobile repair guy and so ended up not needing Coach-Net for tow.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:11 AM   #50

Thanks! I signed up with Coach-Net.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
looks nice!

nice low hours on the gen.
check the dates on those tires, determine when/if they'll need to be replaced.

bonus on the outdoor cooler, but you'll want to upgrade that tube/tv outside (i still haven't upgraded ours).

if you figure out what all those (3) option switched on the dash are for, let me know....ive STILL got one i have no idea of what it does.

Don, could that be the limp home switch, i found mine in the book.

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #52

I use a brake buddy too,i really like it. Bought it used an only took a couple of hours to hook up.
Sam

[
QUOTE=bushpilot;44592]We love our 64qt EdgeStar cooler....itll hold 120+ cans....or a few less if i have to pack something special for the
We don't make great use of the outdoor TV - but we do use it for local new/weather etc when camping.

Storage wise:

I installed some a shelf in our FRONT bin - we keep chairs, an extend-n-climb ladder, outdoor mat and lots of other crap
our REAR most bin hold a tool box, too many 12x12 3/4 inch plywood jack pads, our grill, wash brush, collapsible trash can, hoses and extension cords

overflow storage goes into our center bin (where the cooler is)...usually a case of water, brake buddy and plenty of room for more.

if we got rid of the TUBE TV and installed a flat screen that folds we'd have even more storage.[/QUOTE]
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #53

We brought the new (to us) motorhome home yesterday. Wow! what a way to travel!

It was a big transition for us to go from an SUV/Travel trailer combination to a truck conversion, but it was the first time I've ever sat behind the wheel wishing I was farther from home! The wife and children in the back enjoying the scenery, and me up front watching the rig just chew up road like it was starving to death…sorry, I'm geeking out a bit on the whole big rig thing.

Anyhow, it is sitting in the driveway waiting for the next adventure, while I figure out all the doggone switches and fix a few things. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #54

Good for you, hope you have many miles and trips enjoying your new T/C. It does make it easy to put some miles down when the driving is easy vs the trailer moving the tow vehicle around.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:14 AM   #55

Quote:
do you find the jack pads are often necessary?
i use them more often than not for a couple of reasons:

1) to prevent full or long extensions of the levelers themselves, not because full extension is an issue but because retraction & extension can be quicker if i use support under them

2) for extra reach, in some frequented locations (in-laws curb) i would not be able to "get level" with out several extra inches at 2 of the four levelers (think crowned street)

3) out of kindness to the asphalt or concrete pavement....in the summer, with out the boards (aka jack pads) i could easily dent if not punch holes in warm asphalt. It also prevents cracking or "scratching" concrete, especially when lowering the coach off the levelers.

additionally while in storage, i use boards for a COMBINATION of things: to prevent full extension (quicker get aways) and to provide extra height, i like to get the tires off the concrete floor (to prevent flat spotting).
Old 11-10-2015, 05:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
Don, could that be the limp home switch, i found mine in the book.

Sam
i have a (labeled - SHDN OVRD) shutdown override switch, so i know its not that.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:30 AM   #57

Quote:
We brought the new (to us) motorhome home yesterday. Wow! what a way to travel!

It was a big transition for us to go from an SUV/Travel trailer combination to a truck conversion, but it was the first time I've ever sat behind the wheel wishing I was farther from home! The wife and children in the back enjoying the scenery, and me up front watching the rig just chew up road like it was starving to death…sorry, I'm geeking out a bit on the whole big rig thing.

Anyhow, it is sitting in the driveway waiting for the next adventure, while I figure out all the doggone switches and fix a few things. Thanks to all for your help.
good for you! good for all of you! I tell people if we didn't like to drive we wouldn't own a coach, and most coach owners (don't seem openly admit they like driving).

I just took a friend to a race at Circuit of The Americas (CoTA)...he's a travel trailer (airstream) guy....he says I've converted him now....he's seen the light....the ability to actually USE the "camper" while moving...use the bathroom, sleep not he bed or couch, have lunch, etc...all while being underway.

i HIGHLY recommend a couple of short trips to every owner (and you already know this as a former camper)....everyone needs a shake down run or two just to figure out the things they'll need for longer trips....we stayed at a couple of state parks (15 & 30 miles) just to figure things out...and now we stay at these parks just to get away from the house (and some neighbors).
Old 11-10-2015, 01:46 PM   #58

Copy that on the plywood! I'll get a sheet diced up soon. thanks!

Absolutely, on the shake down trips. We have one planned for tomorrow and another for Friday. We have a state park only 35 minutes away, but it is so quiet and secluded it seems much farther.

We have been covered up with rain ever since we got home from delivery. Can't wait for the sun to come out so we can open all the basement doors and figure out our storage arrangements.
Old 11-10-2015, 02:07 PM   #59

speaking of figuring out the storage....our bins had a SINGLE incandescent bulb stick in ONE corner (for lighting of the entire bin)....it provided light only for a couple of inches at most within the immediate proximity of that POS bulb.

I pulled the bulbs and used the wiring/switch (so it can be returned to stock if necessary) and ran LED STRIPS (one on top & one on the under side of the shelf/board) so i could illuminate the ENTIRE bin.

heres a couple of (my worst) pictures of the bins / shelves, jack boards & LED strip lighting -

The center (vertical) support isn't necessary...and it can be removed (its just a simple hand/press fit in place)...it provides some additional support for the top shelf, to keep it form sagging, if i put too much crap on it.

this NEXT shot (below) is the rear most bin...our gas grill goes in the open space....fwiw i plumbed a gas line to the rear of the coach/bin w/ a QD connector and ball/shut off valve (no more gas bottles or tanks).

this bin only needed one LED strip, since the shelf is not as deep as the (above) front storage bin.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #60

you may also notice in the last picture that i have some "poles" (threaded broom handles) attached to the bottom of the shelf....these are (adjustable/extend-able) handles for a wash brush & a squeegee. I use the squeegee to "dry the coach" (after washing) & then drape a towel over the squeegee / pole to get any small (remaining) water off the windows etc.