Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #21

Gordy: Are you going to put heat in the floor?

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #22

I really like in floor heating-got it in the house but since it has a slow recovery time I won't be putting it in the shop. It would be fine if I left it at say 58 degrees all the time but I won't be going out there too often in the cold weather. Thought I would install natural gas overhead radiant heaters (like they use in hockey arenas), my plumber/gas fitters says they are fast and reasonable to operate.
If everything goes right, I won't be here in the cold months anyway-lol.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:18 AM   #23

went with it in our shop 40X64

1000 gal propane tank in the ground using one of those wall hung baxi boilers set at 50 deg. the temp is always around 55-58.

we fill the tank every second year. (could get 3)

filled it this year and it took 580 gals.

two years ago it took 500 to fill it to 85 percent.

about $350.00/year

Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by #90-GTSC View Post
What kind of car do you run at BIR? We were up there crewing for a friend running in the Trans-Am series over Labor Day.
We're not in the same league, hahahahaha. I've got an '86 Vette that I had a 383ci forged motor, Trick Flow heads, TPIS mini-ram intake, manual valve body TH400 trans with a Gear Vendors overdrive behind that, Grand Sport brakes, tons of suspension stuff, etc.... I do some NCCC (National Council of Corvette Clubs) stuff, autocross, road HPDE stuff, etc.... No wheel to wheel. My son has a '99 Vette FRC (fixed roof coupe) that he's been building to run in the One Lap of America. Looks like we're going to do it this year. He's pretty familiar with most of the venues. He's had a 442ci LS motor built to the hilt (dyno'd at 590 rear wheel h/p on a chassis dyno). Normally aspirated and no nos. He's got a guy building it, John Boos (Boos Performance Home Page) that is about the best Vette builder there is. Huge Stop Tech 6 pot front brakes w/ 15" rotors, almost as big rear brakes, millions of dollars in chassis and aero mods, etc.... He's got dreams of winning or placing real high in the One Lap. He's a very good driver and the car has potential. If we can keep it together and on the road. He's done lots of track days but no "wheel-to-wheel" either. Which is fine since the One Lap isn't a w2w race either. One of the days is at Road America, you should come see us there. Check the schedule at One Lap of America - the Official Webpage .

Okay, enough thread hijacking.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #25

Don:

If you want to bump the temp up to degrees, how long does it take? Like Gordy says, I've heard that recovery is slow with infloor. Your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dick
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #26

Quote:
Don:

If you want to bump the temp up to degrees, how long does it take? Like Gordy says, I've heard that recovery is slow with infloor. Your thoughts.

Thanks!

Dick
My friend's shop (30x50) is using infloor with a residential style on-demand HWH - typically if we're going to be working in the shop, he'll set the temp the night before from 40 up to 55. One day we forgot, and I remember it taking ~2 hours before I started to feel anything.

The infloor also doesn't seem to heat much above 8' above the ground (but that's just my own 'feeling' from being on a ladder).. YMMV. Ideally in my dream shop, I'd use infloor and radiant...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #27

Quote:
Don:

Thanks!

Dick
Dick,

on monday we had extra company and put them up in the shed. we have two rooms with beds in the shed along with a 3 piece bath.

at noon on monday the temp was set at 50 and the room temp down there was at 53. bumped the thermostat to 65 degrees and it took about 4-5 hours to raise the temp the 12-14 degrees.

the warmer the room temp is to start with, the quicker the response seems to be.

heres our combi boiler, Combi boilers from Baxi

while setting it up and adjusting the gas valve i was seeing 93 percent efficiency on high fire and 98 on low fire.

don