Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 03-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #21

Sam -

thats a nice kingpin based stacker - the only time I've ever seen a "stacker" with lounge/quarters or any real (sit down) amenities have been units that were kingpin or 5th wheel type.

Probably because of the elevated front or overall (huge) length over what a 36 ft stacker can provide.

certainly you could have some living quarters in a 36 foot stacker & keep the upstairs for cars too, I think even if you gave up 10 or 12 feet for living quarters you could still (easily) fit a car or two in a conventional (bumper pull) stacker.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #22

I am looking at this V nose trailer, but I am not sure if I want to drag this around.
https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/...iler-10000-gvw

Things I would love to take along.

All the time:
Jeep
Harley
Freezer
Build a closet for the wife, ( you know)
Screen tent
Fishing poles
More Tools to do things while parked.

Some of the time

Golf Cart
Small boat and motor ( Where to put it and how?)
I have more but can't remember now...LOL

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
If I go with a regular car hauler or a not so tall stacker, I could definitely go that route with a rooftop unit. Unfortunately, many of the stackers are maximum height. The front mount ACs are pretty spendy.

I really want to keep OAL down. I keep going to quaint little campgrounds in little towns with lots of tight turns! My utility trailer is 25' overall. I know I only have three or four trips under my belt with the trailer, but I can't imagine that I could get much more trailer into some of these spots.

Even for short trips, there just isn't enough storage on the truck. Some sort of trailer is definitely needed, but I can't find the perfect combination of space, capacity, and compactness. Big enough to haul our Excursion, light enough to be moved with the Audi in a pinch.

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #23

Sam, that is one heck of a rig! We had a similar experience when we test "rode" in our truck. It had a 31' stacker hanging on the back because the dealer could not find the key that opened the locker housing the jack. So we test rode with a stacker in tow.

Afterwards, the dear wife really coveted the space in the stacker. Meanwhile, I was considering how many times the salesman had to impose on other drivers to make room for him in the intersections! That is why I am trying to restrict the length to 24'.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:07 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
I am looking at this V nose trailer, but I am not sure if I want to drag this around.
https://www.prolinetrailersales.com/...iler-10000-gvw
damn near the same trailer that i put an air conditioner on last spring,
my friend's is only 20 feet long (told him to buy the 24, but what do i know).
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #25

You are a post ahead of me. I just looked at the v-nose trailer. I'd prefer to go that route, but I don't believe either of our SUVs will fit in there or they may be too heavy for either the axles or the ramp.

Our list is very similar to yours:

Either a Ford Excursion or Audi Q7
golf cart
5 sets of Lacrosse gear
6 sets of fishing gear
Screen tent
6 bicycles
6 Quad copters in cases with chargers batteries, etc
spare parts for motorhome
tools
foul weather gear

And have a climate controlled area for my two teenage sons to sleep.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #26

maybe this is what you guys need....

https://www.facebook.com/ImpressiveE...4730625871789/
Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #27

Don,

Lots of room after it is folded out....LOL. IF I got that then the wife would fill it up. And then I would need this
Attached Thumbnails
line of trucks.jpg  
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
Old 03-21-2016, 12:35 PM   #28

For got the bikes

The trailer is 78" tall inside, still not tall enough? 10,000?

I carry my Phantom 3 in the front basement by the steps.

I do aerial photography and sell DJI's, I also do ground based photography too.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrel View Post
You are a post ahead of me. I just looked at the v-nose trailer. I'd prefer to go that route, but I don't believe either of our SUVs will fit in there or they may be too heavy for either the axles or the ramp.

Our list is very similar to yours:

Either a Ford Excursion or Audi Q7
golf cart
5 sets of Lacrosse gear
6 sets of fishing gear
Screen tent
6 bicycles
6 Quad copters in cases with chargers batteries, etc
spare parts for motorhome
tools
foul weather gear

And have a climate controlled area for my two teenage sons to sleep.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcrimm View Post
For got the bikes

The trailer is 78" tall inside, still not tall enough? 10,000?

I carry my Phantom 3 in the front basement by the steps.

I do aerial photography and sell DJI's, I also do ground based photography too.

Sam
I wish I had known that you are a DJI dealer. My sister in law and I just gave my wife an Inspire for her birthday.

78 tall would be close for our excursion. Would need 7700lbs capacity just for it too...then add up our other stuff. I'm pretty sure that would put us real close to capacity.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 PM   #30

Where to start.

ProLine. My buddy bought one of their 24' enclosed trailers a couple of years ago. Over a few months of normal use (well within gvw, but a lot of miles) the frame developed a bow. As time went by you could just look at the thing from the side and see it getting more bent over time, and gaps began to develop at floors, walls, trim. Took him months of everything but a lawsuit to get them to take it back. They gave him a new one which he promptly sold and bought a different brand.

Excursion. Don't even consider a trailer with less than 14k gvw, 8 lug axles, 16" tires. Even with a light weight open trailer you will pretty much be maxed out as soon as you drive the empty truck on there. And trust me, from putting 100's of thousands of miles on enclosed trailer and changing many many tires and a few sets of axles, you don't want to be right at gvw. The tires and axles will not hold up under extended use. You want to be overspec on the axles/tires. Picture it this way as the weight is the same, you wouldn't even consider driving your excursion with weenie 15" tires with the weight of a trailer stacked on the roof.

Stackers. You can certainly get any option you want in a stacker. It's kind of like the old racing adage: "speed costs, how fast do you want to go?". Becker makes some nice units:
22' PLUS 4' APACHE ALUMINUM STACKER | Becker Custom Trailers
That one is a 22'+4' configuration to keep the length down and storage up. As to the teenagers, get 'em some air mattresses, they're young and tough and will be happy to have their own "room". Looks like room for a car, bikes, and a golf cart in front. plus tons of cabinets.

What about a mini/split a/c unit? The out side unit could go on the front instead of the top that way.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:50 PM   #31

Becker link above didn't come through:
22' PLUS 4' APACHE ALUMINUM STACKER | Becker Custom Trailers
Old 03-21-2016, 07:10 PM   #32

I would think you'd have to go with three axles on a stacker, wouldn't you? Even if it's short, you're going to need three to handle the weight of the two vehicles. I think you might have to cut back on some of the stuff you bring? Or make the teens drive a chase vehicle with whatever you can stuff in it? I pull a 24' with a v-nose. Total length from ball to ramp (when up/closed) is 31'. My truck is 36' bumper to back. Add a foot for the hitch. 68' total. I really like this length. It's long, but not un-manageable. With the car in I sometimes put my trailer hitch bike rack in and put a couple bikes on it. Then you could also stuff a bunch of junk around the back there before closing the ramp door. V nose makes for pretty much room up there. Not enough for all the stuff you want to bring though.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #33

That Becker is beautiful, but I wonder if that 4000lb ramp door can be upgraded?
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #34

Becker custom builds each one to your order, they can make anything you want. Look through their gallery, they make nice stuff. That one I linked to is actually 2' shorter than Bob's setup.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
I would think you'd have to go with three axles on a stacker, wouldn't you? Even if it's short, you're going to need three to handle the weight of the two vehicles. I think you might have to cut back on some of the stuff you bring? Or make the teens drive a chase vehicle with whatever you can stuff in it? I pull a 24' with a v-nose. Total length from ball to ramp (when up/closed) is 31'. My truck is 36' bumper to back. Add a foot for the hitch. 68' total. I really like this length. It's long, but not un-manageable. With the car in I sometimes put my trailer hitch bike rack in and put a couple bikes on it. Then you could also stuff a bunch of junk around the back there before closing the ramp door. V nose makes for pretty much room up there. Not enough for all the stuff you want to bring though.
With regard to vehicles, I only plan to take one of the SUVs and sometimes a golf cart. I was thinking of getting a lift with a complete floor and making that into a loft for the boys. I think there would still be room for some bikes and stuff up there.

I really need to keep the length down, so the trailer can remain in our campsite, rather than having to drop it and store it elsewhere at check-in (couldn't leave the boys in that!). Some campgrounds have a 65 or 68' limit.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
Becker custom builds each one to your order, they can make anything you want. Look through their gallery, they make nice stuff. That one I linked to is actually 2' shorter than Bob's setup.
I'm sure, but they look quite pricey. The one you sent in the link looked perfect. Unfortunately, I'd have to strip quite a few options out to get the price down.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:42 PM   #37

That's got to be a $60k trailer. Somebody send them a form to see their price. I couldn't find any for sale on other searches.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
That's got to be a $60k trailer. Somebody send them a form to see their price. I couldn't find any for sale on other searches.
I've been looking for a half an hour. Can't find a used one either

Follow-up: I sent them a message. Didn't bother with the price on that one, just asked about a "less accessorized" version to see what they may have to offer.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #39

I am going to buy more lottery tickets.....
Old 03-21-2016, 09:07 PM   #40

InTech Trailers is another (really) nice mfg with some innovative ideas (air tanks in the floor etc), I'm seeing more and more of them at the track(s), the build quality is top notch.

Custom Aluminum Trailer | inTech Custom All-Aluminum Trailers