Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #1

Default SLEEP BUS. Transporting Passengers SF to LA in bunks for $50 in a Truck Conversion.

This made the local paper. New company called SleepBus.co will be shuttling passengers from SF to LA and LA to SF for $50 in a sleeper bunk using a Truck Conversion. Article says 12 passengers, 1 driver and 1 supervisor. Leaves at 11pm, arrives 6-7 hours later, and you can stay until 9am. Cost is $50 per person, increasing to $65 later on. Says they are ordering 10 more conversions.

My questions are

-can this be profitable at $600 per load SF to LA? $50 x 12

-can this be profitable at $780 per load SF to LA? $65 x 12

-would a bus conversion/MCI be a better vehicle than a truck conversion or is a truck conversion the correct vehicle? If a truck conversion is a better vehicle, why is Greyhound using MCI Buses?

Here is the article: New bunk bed-lined 'Sleepbus' drives riders from SF to LA overnight for less than $50 - SFGate

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

Since it is 382 miles then it should be profitable, I would think. AT $600 per load (assuming full) it comes out to $1.57 per mile and at $780 per load it is $2.04 per mile. If they run back empty I am not sure it would be worth it.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntom View Post
Since it is 382 miles then it should be profitable, I would think. AT $600 per load (assuming full) it comes out to $1.57 per mile and at $780 per load it is $2.04 per mile. If they run back empty I am not sure it would be worth it.
What is the cost of running a new truck conversion per mile when you consider all the factors involved?

I would assume you are always loaded with passengers.

The owner could be the supervisor and run the business as an employee and stay onboard 24/7 and never go home.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 05-28-2016, 11:54 AM   #4

Sounds pretty optimistic. 382 miles at 7 mpg=54.6 gallons of fuel. Times $2.50/gallon is $136.50. So, that leaves $463.50 with a $600 paid ridership. 382 miles, at average speed of 55 mph (is that optimistic too?) is almost 7 hours. Googler says it's almost 6 hours by car. That's border to border too. I don't suppose they load at the city limits and expel everybody at the other city limits. So, let's divide the 7 hour drive by the $463.50. $66.21 per hour. Good wages. If that's all they have to pay. Now how about insurance? Taxes? Maintenance? Loan payments for the $200k rig? This all assumes they're going to fill every bunk on every trip. Hahahaha, good luck there. I wouldn't buy any stock in that company. I hope it works out for them though. One of the many great things about this country. Somebody can come up with an idea and make a bunch of money.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob86ZZ4 View Post
Sounds pretty optimistic. 382 miles at 7 mpg=54.6 gallons of fuel. Times $2.50/gallon is $136.50. So, that leaves $463.50 with a $600 paid ridership. 382 miles, at average speed of 55 mph (is that optimistic too?) is almost 7 hours. Googler says it's almost 6 hours by car. That's border to border too. I don't suppose they load at the city limits and expel everybody at the other city limits. So, let's divide the 7 hour drive by the $463.50. $66.21 per hour. Good wages. If that's all they have to pay. Now how about insurance? Taxes? Maintenance? Loan payments for the $200k rig? This all assumes they're going to fill every bunk on every trip. Hahahaha, good luck there. I wouldn't buy any stock in that company. I hope it works out for them though. One of the many great things about this country. Somebody can come up with an idea and make a bunch of money.
Diesel fuel in California is more like $4 per gallon. 55 gallons x $4 = $220 in fuel alone.

I can think of 2 reasons why a Bus MCI might be a better vehicle. The door is up front which allows a driver to see who's coming in and who's leaving. The engine in the back makes a more efficient use of space for length.

I think the trips are full and you have to reserve in advance. The website says they are ordering 10 more truck conversions so they must be optimistic on ridership.

What is the cost breakdown on your $200,000 estimated price per vehicle? Would that be a used truck with a new box?
Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Just pulled that number from thin air. I would guess it's plenty conservative too. Building all new (chassis and living quarters) would certainly be much more. I guess for just using it as a sleeping quarters coach I don't see any advantage to using a class 8 HDT chassis. A used tour bus, take out seats and build in bunks, certainly much cheaper I would think.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:15 PM   #7

This rig looks pretty similar to the one in the video: Motor Coaches for Sale by PowerHouse Coach
Old 05-28-2016, 03:17 PM   #8

I worry about bed bugs.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:26 PM   #9

Quote:
I worry about bed bugs.
There's going to a lot of things to worry about as the employee responsible for dealing with the passengers. It won't be as bad as Greyhound Bus, but I'm sure there will be problem people.

That person is snoring.
That person is wearing too much cologne/perfume.
That person tried to climb into my bunk.
That person climbed into my bunk.
That person keeps trying to touch me.
That person is drunk.
That person is on drugs.
That person is weird and won't leave me alone.
I want that person to stay away from me.
That person is trying to steal from me.
That person stole from me.
That person has a gun/knife.
That person is talking to himself and I can't sleep.
I spilled my drink in my bunk.
I feel sick and am going to vomit.
I vomited in my bunk.
I urinated in my bunk.
I have diarrhea.
I defecated in my bunk.
The toilet won't flush.
The toilet is overflowing.
Somebody urinated/defecated/vomited on the floor.
It's too hot.
It's too cold.
It's too noisy.
The ride is too bumpy.
My pet rattlesnake got lose and I cannot find him.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #10

According to this website, the diesel fuel price in CA is ranging from $2.25 in S. CA to $4 and up. California Gas Prices - Find Cheap Diesel Prices in California
Old 05-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #11

Yep, I wouldn't sleep with 11 strangers "sleeping" nearby. Now, if they put secure doors on each pod with good locks maybe I could rest a bit.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Yep, I wouldn't sleep with 11 strangers "sleeping" nearby. Now, if they put secure doors on each pod with good locks maybe I could rest a bit.
Have you noticed how many businesses have hired Security Guards to do the work that employees used to do, for examples just go back to my problem list. Maybe they'll hire a uniformed security guard to handle the problem people so the driver won't be interrupted/assaulted.

Our Governor of CA, Jerry Brown and other politicians who needed a 10-20 year job was in favor of and has started the most expensive public works project in the United States by building the CA High Speed Rail. What the Sleep Bus can do for $50-65, now the government is going to try to run a High Speed Rail. God help us!!! Is anyone here losing their property through Eminent Domain so this High Speed Rail can be built?

The population of foreign born residents in CA is 28% and growing. Maybe that's why he thinks we need High Speed Rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...igh-Speed_Rail

United States - Foreign-Born Population Percentage by State
Old 05-28-2016, 06:54 PM   #13

Would it be considered standard construction to provide a window for every bunk?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #14

What about the ticket agent, rent,insurance,etc etc

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote