Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #1

I am new here but have been reading discussions for some time. I have a question for you guys.
I am very close to buying a new Renegade and wondering your thoughts on leaving it white or full body painted? I am thinking the white will show dirt more than some colors but full body paint is pricy. I am thinking we would keep the rig for some time but who knows. Your thoughts are most welcomed and thank you.

Thank you,

Ed

Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #2

I like all white. I don't see spending money for cosmetics. But I'm broke, MrsBob86ZZ4 just spent $7k on redoing the master bath in our house, aaaarrrgggghhhh. I think the white ones look better anyhow. They're more sinister. People don't know what my rig is. They always ask questions about it. If it was all painted and striped up they'd just figure it was some regular old rv.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #3

Ed, i have to disagree with my friend Bob, probably because i just purchased a new custom with a kicking paintjob. Your rig makes such a good canvass for expressing yourself, yes its expensive, but considering what you spent, its not that bad. When you look at your campsite and rig as you are approaching it, would not some cool paintjob make you happy? G
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

By the way Ed, welcome to the forum, tell us about your rig, and we love photos, G
Old 02-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #5

Personally, I like the colors on a rig, but as far as solid colors, White usually will show less dust then high pigment colors. Mine is red because it came that way, but if I paint it, I'll stay with the red.

Doc Weaver
Old 02-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #6

....I on the other hand would prefer Marine Green Olive Drab Lusterless Latex....but that would start more poop in this neighborhood and I get enough chit with out causing any more ruckus than I do day to day....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girls
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

Geo, what is the paint you are refering to, i was thinking it would be nice to cover a whole rig in colored Rhino Coating, No more worrying about branches running down the side of your nice shiny finish, Do you think it is doable, G
Old 02-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

I remember a story in Bus Conversion magazine a few years back where a guy wanted to do the Rhino Coating on his bus. He ended up buying the franchise and the equipment since he was buying so much material for the bus. He was able to save a many bucks doing it himself. He was bragging about the savings and the tough finish but concerned that it added A LOT of weight. I have also seen several off-road bikes that the guys use the Rhino on because it’s so tough. Interesting proposition but It could have some drawbacks and its difficult to get a good shine .

On to the real question at hand … We prefer the full-body paint over the mill finish white, even if it’s a solid color with no or minimal graphics. We went with Silver and it looks very nice, easy to keep clean it's different than the "all white" that we see most of the time. It is somewhat pricey but we felt it was worth it. And it is just a matter of opinion like so many decisions on these monsters.

If you’re interested in getting a price in the Midwest (St Louis MO Area) you can call Brad at Craftsman Industries. They beat the big paint shops in Indiana by a bunch $$ and did excellent work. I left impressed with the quality and the attention to detail. We did some graphics on ours and they didnt even bat an eye at my design.

Rad
Old 02-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #9

....I DO SCORPION COATINGS ON BED LINERS ETC...HELL, I'LL SPRAY ANYTHING as long as i get paid these days...most of the bed liner guys are toes up and the franchise isn't worth the paper it is written on...Scorpion is a different deal for vendors....NO FRANCHISE.....so you are in business for about $1500 + or- a few bucks....it is easy to learn and hard to screw up. I like the Military Olive Greens and specially the Forest Green the Marines use....I have my P/U painted with the Latex formula and it is tough and barely visible at nite...never shows a scratch or a dent as there is no shine to it....and very tough/durable. Bed liner Coatings are very heavy for exterior surfaces and therefore are just adding weight to tow around. matching is a trick if damaged-you need to be very good at colors. I'd use Latex rather than bed liner because of cost and weight...Other than that , the bed liner would be ideal for a lifetime coating....with Scorpion Coatings there is not a problem with fumes and no need for a clean paint spraying room-I have coated jeep interiors outdoors under a shade tree this summer...mudding is more fun than you can imagine when all one has to do is spray out the interior with a water hose......I spray interiors of trailers/vans for the bikers/moto-cross and they are easy to wash out....geofkaye and the Rivercity Girlz....
Old 03-18-2010, 04:30 PM   #10

Went with white...........should have it within a week. Very excited
Old 03-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #11

ed-- vinyl stripes are always a possiblity --- they are pretty durable and arn't too expensive. mine have been on my coach since 2003--- still look great--- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally posted by ed s:
Went with white...........should have it within a week. Very excited
Yay!! We need pictures. What did you buy? Better start a new topic showing it off for us.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:14 PM   #13

...I think the white or color issue comes down to what will give the A/C a brake on a hot day in the sun....there are coaches/busses [< 500 SQFT.]that can't be kept cool with 3 A/C unites going....and with 45,000 btu's blowing that is saying something. In Fla, during the summer before last, I advised a couple to get a lawn sprinkler and sit it on top of their MH spraying water on the roof to keep the interior temps under control while they were down for the summer months.....since the water was supplied free for their lot......course the park owner went NUTZ after quite a few took to sprinkler cooling in the daytime to keep from burning live in their MH's......But that wasn't a issue for me to fix also.......the park-owner-jerk was getting $45 a day and whinnying all the way to the bank.....another trick to to use a cover on the roof made of cloth elevated to let the heat out....geof kaye and the RIVERCITY GROUP IN CINCINNATI....YEE HAW!