Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Default Power Mamanagement

Someday I have a terrible time with managing my ac power. So help me understand with a 50 amp service you have two 120 legs? Or one 50 amp service and that all? I have a 12 kw gen set. And I have a 30 amp breaker panel under the bed that manages both ac and dc. It take care of the front ac, and outlets in the house. In the power bay I have two 50 amp breakers, and a sorted other breakers for the rear ac, water heater, the washer/dryer. one 50 is from the gen and the other one to the outlet on the back of the rv.

So the under bed has a 30 amp main. I understand why because of the design of that panel. I trip the 30 amp a lot, if I am running the microwave and the ac kicks on. Bang the breaker trips. I have also changed that breaker once already. I never trip the other circuits. Only the 30 amp main.

So I want to have the tv on, the coffee brewing and heating up something in the microwave and if the ac kick on life as I know continue to move.

I have looked at the 3000 power management panels and all that stuff, but that more than I think it is worth.

Can I get a bigger panel in the bay and move a couple of circuits down there?

How does the all this handle the power if I was at a race track in the rv and my toter was being cooled and things were going on back there?

It sounds like I have the power to do just about anything, with 12 kw but how do I use it to the utmost.

Help explain this to me and ways to keep from tripping my breaker.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
samcrimm-4669.jpg  

2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

50amp service(shore power) gives you 2x(120volt, 50 amp) circuits for a total of 100amps or 12000watts(120v x 100amps=12000w), your 12kw generator provides your power in the same way.

If your a/c and microwave are both running at the same time you are probably drawing close to 30 amps right there. Most properly working a/c units draw in the range of 12-14amps and a large microwave will draw the same, so add in a coffee maker (most are 600+watts or 5+amps) plus some other possible hidden loads and bang goes the breaker.

You may be able to move some circuits from the big panel but before I would do that I would try to confirm how much power your existing circuits are drawing, it is possible that your a/c needs servicing (clean the evaporator etc) as this will cause an a/c to work extra hard.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:27 PM   #3

I thought I had two circuits, so one circuit feeds the basement panel, and the other one feeds the house one? I burned up the transfer switch and I should have one this week sometime, why would you limit the house to 30 amp when you have 50amp? I was thinking of putting a bigger sub panel in the house and just use the one there for the battery charging and 12 dc in the house. Should I be thinking that way or am I wrong? The new sub panel would be 50 amp and that would stop the breaker tripping. Or is there a better way?
Thanks Porky

Sam
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
Old 09-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

I wouldn't be surprised if that is how it is wired, my Haulmark has both feeds going into one panel, but that panel is split in half (each 50A circuit has it's own set of breakers but they are all in one place). It would make more sense if the second 50A breaker in the main panel feeds the 30A panel. I would be tempted to contact Renegade and see if they have a wiring diagram for your coach. If not I would start tracing wires until I am sure of the layout before modifying.

I am not an electrician but I don't see why you couldn't install a 50A panel in place of the 30A, just make sure that the feed wire to the new 50A panel is large enough to handle the extra power and you are sure that is how it is wired.

Here is a link to help understand RV electrical (I have not read it all but it seems fairly informative). Electrical Tutorial

How did you burn up the transfer switch? If there was a loose connection there (possible cause for switch failure), that might cause your breaker to trip...over current due to low voltage.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Good information with that link, thanks. The switch is not the tripping problem. And I think tracing is good to, so I will start with that and check in to the sub panel idea more.
I am waiting on some others to chime in on this and get more input before I jump on it.

Sam
Old 09-15-2016, 02:57 PM   #6

Mine sounds like porky's.

Unlike yours Sam, I don't have a breaker in the basement, My power goes thru the Xfer switch (in the basement) to my breaker panel.

My panel (in the coach) has DUAL 50A utility service for the panel.

I've always wondered where the circuit combine happened when on 30a service...that is when I'm running 30A service how does power get to both sides of the breaker panel bus?

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #7

30amp service gets to both circuits when you use your 30amp make to 50amp female pigtail adapter. That adapter ties both 50amp feed together.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by porky69 View Post
30amp service gets to both circuits when you use your 30amp make to 50amp female pigtail adapter. That adapter ties both 50amp feed together.
DOH! forgot about the pig tail / dog bone
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

I am going to fix a panel next to my little breaker panel and make it 50 amp and gain 20 amps! Just going to be on the look out for one that fits next to it. i'll just have to change the wire from the basement 30 amp breaker to my new panel to handle 50 amps.