Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-15-2005, 12:43 PM   #1

Found this on racing junk.

Is this a class 7 or 8 truck with a conversion, an International DT466?

If it's a class 7, is that a major error in design? Is the conversion pushing the max carry capacity of the chassis?

Comments?

http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/view/416272/27-NRC-ON...--INTERNATIONAL.html

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #2

I understand the DOT definition of a class 8 truck is anything over a GVW of 33,001 lbs. Based on the info provided, I would consider this to be a medium duty chassis. That is not to say the chassis is overloaded per sey. The DT466 is a good engine. However, coupled with the 7 speed, this chassis is meant for service as a box delivery truck or something of that ilk where speed is not important nor is driver comfort.

You would find yourself preparing to climb hills by getting a runshot than dropping gears rather quickly and usually not having the right gear most of the time. Much better to have a higher horsepower, heavy duty engine just loafing along at similar if not better fuel milage. And don't think that a seven speed is going to be easier to shift than a ten speed. As you go up in gear number, the ratios increase making rpm matching requirements more precise. And forget pulling a trailer.

Then there is the cab. There is not a lot of room and the layout would be minimal. In short, not designed for longhaul comfort.

So, why would someone build this truck? Economics I would say. Most likely the chassis was new and not a retrofit. Much cheaper to go with a lesser chassis.

QRTRHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #3

If you switched trannys and had an auto, would that make any difference?

Would the machine be fine on flatlands but when you get to a slight-moderate grades you'd notice the lack of power, downshifting, slowing down...

And then if you were pulling a trailer it would make matters much worse...?

Is the motor a 7.3 or newer 6.0 turbo diesel that is the same as the standard ford passenger truck motor...?

So it can handle the weight, it's just that it doesn't have the power to pull it up moderate hills and a bigger motor would be better?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:14 PM   #4

An auto would be even more of a slug.

Even on the level, you would not be happy with the lack of true power and responce.

A trailer would mean more weight to pull with not enough power. And, perhaps poor handling. The chassis might have adequate springs but the medium duty cabs don't ride or handle as well as a heavier cab would.

The DT466 is not the same as a 7.3 or 6.0 Ford pickup engine. See http://www.internationaldelivers.com...t466detail.asp

I might also mention, you will have more engine and road noise to contend with.
QRTRHRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #5

Thankyou so much for your response.

Interesting concept. Just go bigger and they're harder to break!!!

I'll keep that in mind in my search for one.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:34 PM   #6

I know I have posted this before, but for the lurkers who stumble on to this post, I'll draw a comparison.

My 30' conversion has 300 hp 860 ft/pd, 6 speed automatic and weights in at roughly 30,000 lbs. and I tow a Jeep which is roughly 3500 lbs

Awesome on the flats and moderately rolling terrain. Easily burn down the highway at 80 mph plus if that is your thing.

On 3-4% grades your gonna slowly loose some speed. Little bigger grades and your gonna bottom out at say 55 mph.

I really would not look at anything under 300 hp and 350 hp and up is gonna really be what you want for pulling trailers.

Actually, I think if I can get my motor turned up to the 330 hp & 1000 ft/pd this really is going to be a great setup for me.