Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Opinions wanted on 1985 Prevost Bus Conversion, 136k miles, $50k ebay sale. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/opinions-wanted-1985-prevost-bus-conversion-136k-miles-%2450k-ebay-sale-4370/)

BravestDog 05-27-2009 10:57 AM

Seeking comments on this one.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

1985 Prevost Bus Conversion, 136,000 original miles, stored indoors.

Now the questions:

1. Is a bus conversion like this a maintenance nightmare as compared to a truck conversion or would they be similar?

2. Would a new bus conversion like this today cost $500k?

3. Do you think the buyer got a good, very good, exceptional deal when you consider the orignal price, the low miles, the good condition of a 24 years old conversion for 90% off original price?

I'd like to find a truck conversion like this for a discounted rate if you hear on any for sale.

Doc Weaver 05-28-2009 12:55 PM

hey dog,
I used to drive entertainer coaches, actually owned some. My "OPINION" is that a coach like this would have been $300k plus when new. The 8v92 was the hottest thing out in bus engines and the Prevost was taking Silver Eagles title (as king) away.

1) Everybody here knows that big trucks cost more to maintain and repair than pickups/campers. Well Buses go to the next level, for no other reason than "because we can". In 1984 a Silver Eagle alternator was $1100. the same alternator for a Peterbilt (w/Detroit engine) $500. trust me I had to buy one.

2)you are probably close in the $500k

3)If i were in the market again, I would have nabbed it at that price. A friend of mine sold a similar Eagle for about $87k three years ago.

The big selling point for Kingsley Coach has always been, cheaper maintenance.
One man's opinion,
Doc Weaver

Bob86ZZ4 05-29-2009 12:17 PM

I am going to copy and paste the text of the ad only because after it's been off ebay for awhile nobody can pull that up anymore:

1985 Prevost Hoffman 40' ~NO RESERVE~NO RESERVE~

**Please call Brandon if you have any questions 214-538-1966**

You are bidding on a vintage 1985 Prevost Le Mirage XL. This coach was converted from new by Hoffman Coach Co April 1985 and in excellent condition mechanically as well as cosmetically. Please review the pictures to see just how clean this coach is. It’s rare to find an all electric coach in this year range and this is one of them! Let me explain how Hoffman built their conversions at that time. The chassis was ordered with over the road Prevost bus air and driver A/C. Hoffman added two Cruisair A/C units with condensers mounted under the coach. (One for salon and galley and one for stateroom and bath) Heat is provided by four 120V recessed heaters. (One for each area) All coach functions are monitored at the central panel over driver seat including electrical breakers, inverter, charger, generator and more. Hot water is provided by an electric marine water heater with motor aid loop. This allows engine to heat hot water while traveling. A primary 12V water pump is provided with a second for back up. Fresh water and holding tanks are composite with dump station on both the passenger and driver side. 10KW Martin diesel generator is located in a sound enclosure with separate remote radiator and battery. Lighting in the coach consists of mostly 12V recessed or under counter lighting. Four sconces in salon along with bathroom vanity lighting are powered by 120V and will operate on the inverter. A remote switch panel is located in the bedroom for lighting, inverter and generator pre-heat/run and stop. Entertainment system consists of dash radio and speakers, salon TV combo, stateroom TV combo and original stereo AM/FM record player!

CHASSIS
1985 Prevost Le Mirage XL-40 with factory bus heat and air. Engine is a 8V92TA Detroit Diesel (Serial number 8VF101296) mated to a Allison automatic transmission. Original build sheet lists the following options that were ordered by Hoffman Coach: Jacobs engine break, vertical luggage doors, low coolant indicator, level low system (air leveling with control at dash) hot water circulation pump. GVWR is listed as 42,000 lbs and does include a receiver hitch.

SALON
The salon has newer leather pilot and co-pilot seats as well huge leather “L” sofa with storage below. There are two barrel chairs and pull out table. Co-pilot seat swivels to face rear of coach. All windows are tinted and have fully retractable pleated shades. Carpet has been replaced and is clean and in good condition.

GALLEY
The galley consists of a Princess electric range with stainless cover and cutting board, Sharp convection/microwave oven, refrigerator/freezer, deep stainless steel sink, under counter lighting, upper and lower carpeted cabinets, pull out pantry, passenger side bar with stainless bar sink, under counter Nutone food center and under counter ice maker. All appliances work great!

BATHROOM
The bathroom consists of a passenger side sink with recessed medicine cabinet, surround vanity lighting and storage closet. A large residential corner shower and toilet located on the drives side. Driver’s side forward wall has additional storage and vanity mirror.

STATEROOM
The state room has a rear, queen island bed with under bed storage drawers. Passenger side forward wall houses a full length hanging closet and rear wall of coach, two shirt closets and a full width closet across back wall. Windows are tinted and have pleated shades as well. The roof has a full size escape hatch/vent that is hidden behind a matching ceiling panel.

Below is an equipment list:

Leather pilot/co-pilot seats
Power foot rest
Musical horn
Air horn
Remote spot light
Back-up camera
Center control panel
Inverter
Engine battery charger
Cruise air (front & rear)
4 120V electric heaters
Day/night shades
Nutone food center
Built in vacuum system
Norcold 120/12V refrigerator
Under counter ice maker
Princess 3 burner electric range w/oven
Sharp carousel microwave/convection oven
Under counter lighting
Valance lighting
Corner shower
Residential toilet
Vanity w/custom lighting & medicine cabinet
Rear island queen bed
Dual night stands
TV (front & back)
Power roof ventilator
Electric water heaters w/motor aid loop
Dual water pumps
50A service
Copper water lines

The exterior of the coach retains an original paint scheme and is in great condition. The coach just underwent an extensive detail with all paint and stainless steel buffed and waxed, wheels polished and all paint touched up. All compartments are very clean and have new carpeting. All service is up to date with fresh oil and filters. The coach drives great, shifts smooth and tracks straight. It’s amazing that a 1985 Prevost will still drive better than a new “plastic” coach! The Detroit engine is clean and runs strong. Coach rides on newer Bridgestone tires with deep tread and no uneven wear. You will find some normal wear and tear for a coach of this age including a cut in the lower panel of the radiator door and small dent in PS panel but overall the body is in great condition. Front glass has several rock chips. Mirrors were repainted and clear coated to match the darker grey paint on the coach. All plastic and rubber on the coach has been deep cleaned and reconditioned. Coach comes with origional odometer showing 131,026 miles as well as new digital replacement showing 673 miles. We have been through the coach extensively and have done our best to compile the list of equipment and represent the coach correctly. Please do not hesitate to call Brandon at 214-538-1966 with questions. If in doubt, please ask for additional pictures or information. I welcome any bidders to inspect this coach by appointment at our indoor storage facility located in Rockwall, TX. (Dallas metro area) Good luck!
***REMEMBER ***NO RESERVE***

It shows it sold for $49,999.00 for one bid. If that's really what it went for it looks like somebody got quite a buy. Hard to believe tho. The pictures make it look quite stunning. I like the looks of a bus. But, many things about a bus I don't like. I would worry about costs of repairs on one. I don't know for sure but I just have a feeling that a truck would be cheaper to repair and service centers should be more plentiful. I also don't like the engine/trans all packed into the back like that. The do ride nice tho. I wouldn't think you could pull as heavy of a trailer tho.

Doc Weaver 05-29-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

I like the looks of a bus. But, many things about a bus I don't like.
I like buses too, but one other reason for a truck instead of a bus is clearance. I have drug the bottom of an MCI 7 at a truck stop that had a small hill. I had another friend of mine that hung his Silver Eagle making a U-turn. Some buses sit as low as eight inches off the ground. I do too many construction sites to sit that low.

They sure ride and drive awesome though.

Doc Weaver

geofkaye 06-01-2009 02:11 PM

I'd love to have one like the one that Country Coach had for sale for years.....1986 build for a coal mine owner with a all leather interior....it was $125k then....probably $35k now.....geofkaye