Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #1

Default new paint for our toy hauler

We spent our winter getting a facelift on our toybox. Wife drew the design and picked the color scheme. Next the tractor !

couple of links below

Before and during : http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2AYtGrhmzaM2JK

Finished and outdoors on a cloudy day back at the track : http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...2AYtGrhmzaM2Jb

qwcslvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

That is quite the transformation! Surprising what a fresh coat of paint will do!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:46 PM   #3

I can sort of see the pics, behind the mandatory sign-up crap. Looks like a nice change, what I can see.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #4

I believe you can just click the little X box and cancel that sign up page over the top of the photos
Old 05-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #5

That looks awesome! What kind of paint did you use, single stage or base/clear? How much did you go through? Looks incredible!
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #6

All Dupont base/clear. The blue is a 2014/15 Chrysler hydro blue with several different pearls and metallics in it. Black is black. Silver is a pearl/metallic. Clear is a high quality with the best uv protection. 3 coats of all base colors and clear coat. Blue was the spendiest paint of the 3. Don't remember gallons used but around $5500.00 in materials alone.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #7

Looks good. Are you planning on painting the truck next? Did you spray it?

I was looking at it on Escapee's last week. I like the layout. We are getting ready to start our dry van build, so it is nice to see something similar out there. How is that trailer to get into camp grounds? Or do you usually just boondock with it?
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwcslvr1 View Post
All Dupont base/clear. The blue is a 2014/15 Chrysler hydro blue with several different pearls and metallics in it. Black is black. Silver is a pearl/metallic. Clear is a high quality with the best uv protection. 3 coats of all base colors and clear coat. Blue was the spendiest paint of the 3. Don't remember gallons used but around $5500.00 in materials alone.
Wow, that is a lot of times spraying around the truck!
I am trying to figure out how much paint I am going to go through when I paint my 28' box and then the truck. I am probably just going to do single stage Acrylic Urethane to cut down on cost and amount of times around spraying! Mine is going to be pretty boring white! I am still in aweeeee on how yours looks!
superbird03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:34 AM   #9

Maveric ; Truck is in the near future. you make it sound so easy "just spray it" our trailers original factory paint was not a good job as it was not adhering well so the guys had to take it to bare metal on about 75% of the whole trailer with razor blades. The prep to do a good paint job is the key to a good job and very time and labor intensive. "Shooting" is the easiest part.
We don't do campgrounds. We are a Race track management team (wife and I) so stay onsite wherever we are. We have a home base in Ok. When we travel we have friends around the country that have tracks so we choose to stay there generally.

Superbird: Single stage should be a lot less material. We looked a new single stage that Dupont came out with that is a sister to the Imron line but doesn't have same amount of color choices. High gloss and durable. Once again you get what you pay for. We chose to go base/clear because of color choices and easier to do multiple colors as well as use a higher end clear for durability. The shop we used actually had 2 painters (one on each side) and a mixing/gun loading guy that started about noonish and finished the trailer around 3am. the following morning.

PS to all: thank you for your compliments
Old 05-05-2015, 04:38 PM   #10

I fully understand the term "just spray it". My freightliner is white....mostly, except where it is peeling, then it is factory green. My trailer is orange...Schneider orange...so my wife thinks I can "just paint" the trailer. I told her if she sands it, I will spray it. Same with the truck. So far, we are arguing over it, but I don't think it is going to be painted anytime soon. I am compromising, and going to paint the nose and front 15-20 feet of the trailer white, to blend the two together. Luckily, my trailer paint is just faded, and not peeling. The truck on the other hand, had a Maaco special done to it, and is going to take a lot of work to get it ready for paint.

Yours looks like it took a LOT of materials, but the finished product looks great. I wish I had the time and space to do something similar.
maveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

That's a cool setup! I love those side glass units. I got confused though. The solid panels, do those cover up the glass when going down the road? I thought you were building it for them to flip down and turn into patios. But then later I don't see them.

Did you compare to doing a wrap? Seems to me a wrap might be cheaper since there isn't much prep work when you do them, is there? Or Plasti-Dip?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #12

Those door covers you speak of were actually foldout patios 21'x8' and 17'x8'. They were very heavy and required a winch system to use making them not as user friendly as we liked ,so, we have designed a lightweight multi-panel system that will be able to be lowered and raised manually a section at a time without major effort. Those "side glass units" are actually commercial 12ft. double sliding patio doors. As far as a wrap or plastidip goes we didn't want "cover up" flaws etc. but instead took the time to refinish it properly by stripping it down, repairing, and refinishing the coach.

There are several different ways to negotiate a paint job, The painter I used is very fair priced. I personally negotiated a deal where he quoted me all labor and I agreed to pay for materials directly. There are several levels of pricing in materials (single stage, metallic single stage, cheap paint, high end ,on and on and on) I personally opted to spend more on the materials to ensure good color and long life. I used base coat/clear Dupont minimum of 3 or more coats of each color and the clear. I also went with the best UV protectant clear coat for long color life. All that said, I still haven't added it all up but figure I'm probably only in the $12ish to $14,000. range all inclusive. when totally completed we will price this trailer around $97,500