Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #21

Oh yeah - that's a single rear axle.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:10 PM   #22

It sounds strange but some how on a single axle motorhome it usually works out to where the total weight is equivalent to 1000#'s for each foot of coach.

butlermotorcoaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:12 PM   #23

Our Pete has a 12ooo lbs front axle and 19000 lbs rears. the factory weight tag reads 17490 lbs.
we removed the sleeper,holland 5th wheel and one axle.
i guess the loaded total will be 26000 lbs max after conversion
-in the shop: Pete "38
spooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 AM   #24

Update

Saturday a week ago I went to the manufacturer's shop that I plan to have build my conversion box to discuss specefics and look at some photos of the shop's prior work. I was surprised when the manager offered to take me to see one of the conversions the shop had made. It was a toterhome, but gave me an overall idea of the quality of work the shop does. I have to say I was impressed. He indicated that he spent a week touring the conversion shops in Indiana when he first considered making conversions.

Spooner,

You indicated that your conversion box on your 379 would be 24' with 8'4" overhang from the centerline of the rear axle. I've been concerned with my box lenght given my trucks wheel base (230" tandem). If I drop the intermediate axle and use a 24' box, I will have a 10' overhang from the centerline of the rear axle. I was concerned that this may be too much and I would have to extend my frame to increase my wheel base. After talking to the manager of the local frame shop this weekend, to strech the frame to allow me to move the axle back is cost prohibitive to say the least. Adding frame rail behind the axle is not.

By chance, after I left the frame shop, I happened to see Warpath's prior Showhauler conversion which had the same 10' overhang. By the way, it is a sweet ride. A guy that lives in my town and races at the local track bought it from Beck's. He wanted to buy my current rig, but after I explained the cost of the license and insurance (assuming he could obtain insurance)and the fact that he had to have a CDL and physical card, I was able to convince him to buy a conversion. He saw all of the photos of the construction of Warpath's prior conversion on Showhauler's web page which sold him on the purchase. Hind sight being 20/20, I should have sold him mine and bought Warpath's ride myself.

Warpath,

Your prior conversion looked good in its new home (a double bay heated garage) with a 30' stacker trialer behind it. You can be assured it will receive TLC . I couldn't believe it when I walked in that garage and saw it. I instantly knew it was yours. It's kind of a celebrity in its own right you know.
Vern396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 07:50 AM   #25

Vern396 -

Wow! I was just out with some friends and they asked if I knew who had it. The only thing I heard was it was sold to someone in WV.

That is very cool to here that someone picked it up and is keeping her inside and in good condition.

I will say that when I brought it up to Becks it broke my heart to leave it. And in a way I didn't want to know who got it in case they where trashing it, but is great to here the new owner is taking good care of her.

I almost think that these things have spirits, and the 03 is giving my new build the major build from hell spell. Only under a spell like that could a build take 7 months.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #26

Warpath-

I knew that would put your mind at ease, even if just a little. The guy who bought her owns a couple of bodyshops in the area and everything he has is in like new condition. I know for a fact that he has already taken her for her first checkup and has bought her a new pair of shoes (drive tires) He gave me the grand tour as she sat in the garage at his house and I have to say I'm green with envy. I checked Beck's page today just to see if they had any more used ones in stock. Like you, I could not believe it when I saw her setting there. What a small world.

Vern396 is offline   Reply With Quote