Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2
Default New and need help with insurance

I've searched through and need help. I have a 1991 Ford L9000 with a GVWR of 33,000 pounds, it has the original hitch on the back. Blue Sky only goes up to 26k, Good Sam does not insure toters at all. Who will insure it??? I'm stationed in El Paso at the moment.

Progressive will insure if I remove the fifth wheel. Its still titled as a commercial vehicle, can I title it as a pick up? I have a bus conversion insured through Progressive and an auto policy with USAA. I will either title it in FL or TX.

Ultimately, id like to leave the fifth wheel on it, if I have to remove it to get insurance I will.

Please advise, thanks!

gearslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 2

What would it be titled as? Am I posting in the right section? Please I would appreciate it. Thanks.

gearslammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 527

So this is basically a semi tractor with a 5th wheel to tow your 5th wheel camper? Not a "toterhome" as in it can be titled as an RV by itself?

I insured my GMC topkick cab/chassis with State Farm, but Ohio did not consider it commercial since it has no box and no commercial fifth wheel at this point. After the toterhome/RV conversion (with gooseneck or rv style fifth wheel) it will be retitled as an RV and State Farm will write a new policy as an RV. Ran all that by my agent before I started.

I would check the escapees forum, they have a lot of guys in your situation who have built RV toters, and have been through your issues. I would read up over there. I remember reading through a bunch of threads there about insurance and licensing issues, as well as d.o.t. issues. Unless you get that thing titled or licensed as an RV or non-commercial you are going to have to have cdl, logbook, etc unless you are hooked to your camper. I know every state is different on the titling issues, you might start at your local dmv, try to find a small office that has some time to talk about your specific situation.

Also, you may get it out of commercial designation if you junk the big commercial fifth wheel in favor of a RV hitch. That makes a difference in some states. Or possibly you may be able to install the minimum requirements to title as an rv in your state, which should make it easier to insure.

Try the escapees forum.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.