Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-21-2003, 07:20 PM   #1

Well, I'm planning on taking the plunge and the info I have gleaned here has been a big help. I have some questions, but let me tell you about myself and why I want a Toterhome and you guys can make some suggestions. I'm 50 years old and have a small farm, work off of the farm for a real job. I have a college degree and most of my experience is in the ag fertilizer and chemical business. I have driven everything from a go cart to a 65,000# fertilizer spreader. I even spent some time earning a paycheck as a truck driver. I collect and show antique tractors and have been known to pull them 200 miles or so from home to a show. I own a 1997 GMC Crew Cab Dually with a 454 and Auto transmission. The rig is really great, but I would like to do away with the white knuckle drives when driving conditions aren't ideal. I'm leaning toward a KW or a Pete and having a twin screw and a 9 to 13 speed tranny is not an issue. In fact, I like to shift the gears. I currently pull a 25 foot flat bed bumper hitch but with the toterhome may consider a gooseneck hitch and may even go to an enclosed trailer at some point. My son works for CAT so I would like to have a CAT engine, but it's not a requirement. Keep the articles coming, I'm hoping to get this project off the ground in the next 18 to 24 months. Maybe sooner if the right chassis comes along.

John (C-IL) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 07:30 AM   #2

John, you might want to check out the MDT forum that Escapees has. Full of good info (as is this forum as well). Check them out at:
www.escapees.com

you don't have to belong to Escapees to enjoy and use their forum.

Just an idea for you

Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #3

If all you're pulling is 25' tag (or even up to a 35' tag or so) with tractor(s) on it you won't need to go with a toterhome, you could easily run a single screw motorhome for that load and then some. This will give you more living space which is always nice Basically unless you're going to almost semi trailer sized a motorhome will work great - the hitch itself is rated for 40k pounds to give you an idea.... Either way you'll absolutely love towing with one of these over your dually.

Now for the shameless plug, I've got a really nice one for sale in the classifieds...

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 06:00 AM   #4

Thanks wera, If I do go the toterhome route a larger trailer will also be in my future. I'm not really worried about have a place to sleep. In fact as my dad said, "my idea of roughing it is a 40ft motorhome parked outside the Ramada Inn".
Old 12-23-2003, 06:11 AM   #5

LOL! I know that feeling For us the RV is mostly a convience thing over a hotel and it so far has been nicer than any hotel room - however room service is sorely lacking (and oddly requests for it get me a smack to the head which has never happened in a hotel, go figure...).

Like I said, you'll definitely enjoy it! For me the search for the right rig and specs is about half the fun, the rest is driving at the speed limit fully loaded uphill.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:53 PM   #6

Yeah, I think the search is what will occupy the most time. By default I will have someone do the conversion for me even though I have the skills and the equipment to do everything except the stretch. The hardest part I am deciding is who to have do the conversion and if I have to work through a dealer or go direct. I haven't seen that covered in any of the articles. The other question is on the sleeper. I have seen several that used the sleeper for additional seating and some the sleeper was cut off. When I'm looking at a truck I was planning on getting a sleeper and leaving it on, Would I be better off starting with a day cab?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:30 AM   #7

John, I see you are from Paxton...I live just north of you. Concept Haulers is a dealer for ShowHauler and they are just east of I55, off of I80. My understanding is you can not go straight to ShowHauler. Whatever you decide, it may be worth the ride just to visit.

Ramada? Am I in the right place?

Vicki
Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:27 AM   #8

John, I have just done what you are talking about. I collect and show old John Deeres and have a Dodge 3500 with the Cummins. It is a great truck, but a 25,000 lb. trailer is way too much. I just purchased a 1997 Peterbilt 385 with sleeper, tandems, 400 HP ISM Cummins, with an Eaton Super 10, that I found in like new condition with only 186,000 miles. I will be in the process of getting the trailer wiring done and fifth wheel moved back in the next week or so. So far I have only bobtailed with it, I am eager to put the trailer behind. We will also use it to pull our Hitchhiker 5th wheel.

RB70D is offline   Reply With Quote