Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Need Help! Decided to build custom Trlr (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/need-help-decided-build-custom-trlr-7394/)

wedooit2 04-05-2015 10:42 PM

Need Help! Decided to build custom Trlr

Have read many of the posts and so many thanks for all the info! Have decided to custom build a 38 or 40ft goose neck trailer or 5th wheel hitch, that we can use all 4 seasons for snowmobiling, vs. a toter or a conversion with a garage. Have seen some custom builds for sale on a racing site, but still does not meet what we want. So my questions....have you all that have built boxes for conversions, have had plans engineered or someone design them esp. for the steel structure? Maybe 101 wide, garage 14ft?? We can do aluminum as well. We do some fab work and have numerous welding equipment, that is targeted to a specific industry. We don't want to make structural mistakes. The M2 Freightliner build has many pictures, and the Stealth build, and others, and we sure appreciate that! The floor fame, axles, and such is easy. We have one heck of a carpenter/finishing dude that will do the interior cabinets and such. We also bought a wrecked newer RV that has nice almost new appliances. Again, the structure of the box, so to speak, and the roof, and finding the trim pieces is a problem, since we live in Idaho. Insulating, I think we can figure out from all the posts. Same for wiring. Any assistance would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

RLPRACING 04-06-2015 05:56 AM

Before we built the M2, we had a 48' gooseneck Classic trailer. We bought it new and special ordered it with a wall in the middle so there was 20' living quarters and 28' cargo area for the race cars. We had them install the air conditioner, a side entry door and windows in the living quarters. We added the bathroom and cabinets. If you have the budget, that's the way to go. When they are building the trailer its easier for them to add the structure to hold the a.c., door and windows then you trying to do it after it has the outside skin. I had them add the interior walls and electric. I didn't have them insulate it and the was a big mistake as it was cold when the weather got below 40 and hot as hell when it got over 70. The aluminum skin was black. Sure looked nice when it was clean but never again. So I would not have them do interior walls or electric. I don't like the way my walls in the M2 sweat at the steel uprights(studs) in the walls when its cold outside and the interior is heated. That's because we only insulated between the wall studs. If you are going to do a lot of cold weather stuff, add a thin layer of insulation over the studs as well as between.
Hope this helps, Ron

wedooit2 04-06-2015 10:49 AM

So many thanks for the reply! We are having trouble finding a mfg to custom build with 1.5 or 2.0 inch wall to get the insulation factor. Then, of course, we want to build it ourselves, its on my bucket list, lol, even if the cost is a little bit higher. We sure appreciate your pixs and advice!

dvision 04-06-2015 09:34 PM

You might try S & S trailers in Greenwood Neb. Rick is very good at custom builds and has a very solid trailer. He will finish it as far as you desire.

Gordy 04-07-2015 06:54 AM

You could try Jason @ Hawk Engineering, somewhere around St Louis also.