Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #1

Picking my way through the TIGHT campground last weekend, many of the turns require a backup move to complete. Going around this last turn, carefully watching my front left corner, not feeling like backing up, i thought i had it, the corner in question rose up a little, an outcropping of rocks and some grass. Slowly i inched forward, then i noticed the front left corner of the Rig push up a little U--OOO. I backed up quickly, completed the turn, jumped out to see the damage. The left corner of the front bumper raised up about 1/2" . there is a (or was) a uniformed reveal going around the front, between the top of the front bumper and the bottom of the hood assembly, now on the left side this reveals tightens up as it comes around the left corner. Minor scratches on bumper, 80% will buff out, i am thinking of raising the hood, exposing the mounting bracket for the bumper, and introducing my sledge hammer. The bracket as i recall is pretty lightweight, so i am hoping i can persuade it back,,, F******* my first mishap, lesson learned, you can never rush, always take your time, when in doubt , get out and check it out, Gene

Old 07-01-2010, 11:31 AM   #2

OUCH !!! Man I am so sorry. I feel your pain. Back in '89 I was driving an entertainers coach for a group out of Atlanta and I thats when had my first mishap. The Bus owner was in the coach , of course. I backed into a basketball goal.

Doc

Old 07-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #3

Gene,
Sorry to hear that but glad it was only a scratch and a light tweak.

We had a similar situation last summer when executing a 3 point turn at a “T” in the road to park in front of a buddy’s house.

We pulled up and made the first hard left, stopped and backed up down the road and stopped, then proceeded to make a hard left back the way we came. The road was narrow and the weeks on the side were about a foot high. As the left rears tracked short of the front and through the weeds we discovered an 11.9999” tall rock in the 12” grasses . I felt the increased drag on the coach and pressed the clutch back in full.

The resulting dammage was minimal resulting in a very elliptical weed-burner exhaust tip now pushed a bit closer to the rear wheels. Had the weed burner actually been doing its job and burning the weeds, perhaps we would have seen the rock!

We moved the Rock after that, replaced the exhaust tip and all is well today .

Rad
Old 07-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #4

Sorry Gene, hopefully you'll be able to tweek it into position without trouble. At least it doesn't have to go before the Accident Review Board, no letter in your file.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #5

I'd like to tell you about how the RumRunner and the gas station pump curb had an intimate encounter but that post might wind up in front of the accident review board in which I would have to plea: "I was impatient because the yahoo with the pop up camper wouldn't get the hell out of the way!"

Of course now that you've read this please purge it from your memory so you don't get dragged in as material witness.

In case you were wondering how many coats of paint are on one of those cubs, judging by the 4 colors rubbed into my SS cargo door and lower sheeting.. I'd say .. four!

I hope you don't beat yourself up as bad as I did, just enjoy your rig!

Blizz
Old 07-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Thanks guys, i appreciate the honesty, and support while i agonize over this minor damage, (is damage ever really minor?) Anyway, i got up here, broke out the Sledge, opened the hood, took aim, slammed the mounting member a few times, lowered the hood, checked the reveal, SUCCESS. The paint damage is still visible, but i will pull something off, thanks again, Gene
Old 07-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

The old "BFH" (big f-ing hammer) Great tool.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #8

Hey Gene,
Glad your repair resulted as expected. Any little ding in a new rig hurts so bad but be thankful it is little now. I took pics of my roof for you and still working on my cb antenna's.

Have a great weekend
Old 07-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #9

I dont own a BFH so I would guess I willo not need one. (fingers crossed)