Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #81

Bob, you just made me jealous. Due to circumstances I have only been able to take one trip this year so far........ and my wife and I are both retired.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #82

It was a great trip for sure. My wife almost never road up front with me though. She's doing all sorts of stuff for the wedding so she was always busy. We're camping at that ranch for the wedding. My best buddy is going to stay with us in the camper too so that will be fun. He lives in New York so I don't get to see him much. Once we get this wedding out of the way I'm hoping to do some relaxing rv trips. The World Games was hard work for me. I rode in 5 road bike events. I beat a bunch of guys and got beat by a bunch of guys. So that's a success for me. I hadn't been in a bicycle race for 14 years so it was great to ride in the pack again.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:25 AM   #83

In Grand Marais, MN, for the weekend. Great campsite right near the waters of Lake Superior. Kind of chilly but the roof air set to heat is working fine. Electric sites are only $15/night. I like to use the electric heat when I pay for it. My furnace really throws out the heat if needed. Probably going to be the last outing for this year. Darn snow you know.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #84

We're still in Front Royal (va), will be heading back in the morning - should put us in houston by tues late morning (depending on the length of our nap).

Be home for a few days - then track side at CoTA by Thursday for a long weekend of vintage racing/spectating.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #85

Home now, but heading out in a few weeks for Moultrie, GA and Daytona Beach for car shows, then to the Keys for a month or so. Screw snow!
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:43 PM   #86

Later this month we'll be spending time w/ our Naval Officer/Pilot in p-cola and having turkey in Fort Walton Beach (at the BIL's) and then spending a few days at West Destin RV resort.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:01 PM   #87

Just back from tunca from gambleween before that two weeks from lexington,ky, roanoke,virginia beach, outerbanks,cherokee nc, pigion forge and home. Working on the next trip now.
2005 Renegade #1204 42 footer Columbia M3200CH-435,12 speed auto Cat 12 kw Genset, Roadtrip Mission in-mot Dish Network, Washer dryer combo, Jeep Liberty toad,1973 Cessna Skylane,1955 Chev 210 Belair survivor
samcrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #88

Not driving my T/C, but last weekend drove up to Denver area and back in my "little" F-650 pickup to visit my sister and her family for Halloween weekend.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #89

We're heading to daytona on thanksgiving then to Palatka Florida for a mud event weekend. Where is a good place to park or stay in daytona? We will be there Wednesday and thursday(thanksgiving). I will be about 65 feet long with my trailer and would like to park hooked together. Anybody ever stay at daytona speedway? Most places are already booked up.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:00 PM   #90

We stay on our vendor spaces at the speedway Monday to Sunday for the Turkey Run, which is free with the vendor space. It is completely dry camping, but they do have very nice new shower buildings in the infield and plenty of clean restrooms nearby if you need to conserve water, we do take advantage. There is no RV dump on site, so you need to take care of that before you arrive. We stop at the flying J on I-95 on the way in and empty the tanks and top off the water. There is no spectator camping on grounds, but as a vendor we can purchase an offsite camping space in the infield for $225. It is still dry camping, that area is inside the turn 1-2 area along the fence on the right as soon as you come through the tunnel. For some inexplicable reason they do not open up the nice full hookup area by Lake Llody for the car show. If you don't have a vendor space, I could register a campsite for you, we don't need one, we stay on our space. All of the campsites in that area should be long enough to stay hooked up, I know there are always a number of big rigs with stacker trailers in that area. You have 24 hour access through the tunnel. I have enough weekend passes for you, you would just have to pay for the campsite. Let me know.

There are a couple of reasonably priced campgrounds in the area you might try that we use the week after the show. They are nearby, but kind of off the beaten path. Nova Family Campgrounds is on Herbert St. in Port Orange just off of Nova Rd. It is an older campground. They have a limited number of pull thru sites, and we are 60' and just barely fit, but they have a couple of large fields with a ton of 35 amp hookups that I can't imagine selling out, particularly if you can drop the trailer. It's probably 1/2 permies, but all nice folks. The roads are a little tight for a long rig, but we get our 60' rig in and out no problem, you just might want to walk in first and plan your route. But at 65', you know that. Nova Campground - Daytona Beach, FL - Home

We've never stayed there, but I have friends that use the KOA on International just west of I-95. There is another KOA on Nova in Port Orange, but I don't know anything about that one.

Also try Daytona RV Park and Tropical Gardens. Also on Nova Rd, 1/2 mile or so past Beville. There ain't no tropical garden, but it is a nice new campground and they have long spaces and cater to the car show / bike week crowd. Big level spots with plenty of room to pull a big rig in. There is a storage building you can put your hot rod in at nite, and the club that runs the turkey run has their hq in one of the buildings. Daytona RV Park & Tropical Gardens, RV Parks in Daytona Beach Florida, RV Resort, RV Camping

Are you going to Moultrie, GA as well?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:36 PM   #91

Thanks hot rod, I will give them a call tomorrow at daytona rv park. D tropical gardens. We are only staying for 2 nights, Wednesday,Thursday, then Friday we go to Palatka Florida. We will be there till Sunday. As far as moultrie ga, what's going on up there?

I like the look of daytona rv, open in the sunshine is wha we want for our satellite and to enjoy the warm Florida sunshine! Most places have a 3 day minimum and we just need 2 days, so this will work out good.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:14 PM   #92

I missed the two days in your last post. The $225 flat fee at the speedway is ok for all week, but not so good for a short stay. Moultrie, GA is the weekend prior to the Turkey Run, another swap meet and car corral. We always do both in one trip as to a lot of the other vendors and buyers. We can pull out of the fairgrounds in Moultrie Sunday nite, and go directly into the speedway Monday morning and stay all week. Then we stay down in Florida after the shows until January since we are already there.

I am assuming you are coming to Daytona for the car show, do you have a vehicle for transportation other than the toter? I have extra passes to the show and a vehicle pass to get into the infield. I have extra room to park on our space for a car or truck, but not the whole rig unfortunately. Let me know.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #93

Yes we are coming by daytona for the car show. My wife and my two boys(12yr old twins) will be with me. I thought we would check out the car show Thursday morning. We will have another vehicle, will be towing my can am maverick, and my jeep rubicon. It would be cool to set up with you maybe Thursday morning, and check out the show and swap meet. Where will you be set up? What kid of truck conversion are you in?
Is this a pretty good swap meet? I've been to Charlotte auto fair a few times, does this compare to it? I am more into fords than Chevy, Charlotte is about all Chevy! Lol! Be cool to see some ford stuff!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:29 PM   #94

shoot me an email and we'll quit hijacking this thread. hotwiresauctions@aol.com Dave
Old 12-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #95

Just got back couple days ago from a Albuquerque to Cincinnati and back trip for Thanksgiving. About 3100 miles total, 10 days, but really about 6 of them driving. Did 550-630 miles many of the driving days. Stayed in truck stops when not at relatives/friends. Towed my wife's Ford Edge behind there and back. Took 3 large dogs with us, they road trip great. Lot of cold weather, most nights were near freezing or below. Some day temps were also not much above 40 when driving.

Drove around 72 mph, when not in traffic back-ups, got 7 mpg including running generator in evenings and little in morning before hitting the road again. Worse part was had 2 full days of heavy rain on return trip, from Louisville to Amarillo. Fortunately my schedule was one day after all that bad ice conditions in OK and TX. Drove through day after and there were areas with 1 inch of ice on everything! However the roads were just wet and no ice, so no real issues getting through. Just the whole lot of rain, like approx 1000 miles worth. T/C is really dirty, thanks to all the rain driving. Got home and winterized quick, still need to clean it up sometime.

Funny part of the trip, at my brother-in-law's place in Cincinnati, I caught his cable TV line on top of my T/C and pulled it off the house accidentally. Stayed connected, just broke the clip holding it on house near roof where it came over from power pole.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:15 PM   #96

nice to hear you had a great trip !

we ended ours early (new sales gig is really consuming my ability to work remotely / play hooky) - we were gonna stay at DESTIN WEST RV and decided after 4 days in my SIL's driveway that we'd had enough and came back sunday.

Waze routed us around 3 major backups (one over 20 miles long, on the way back).

we averaged 8.9 mpg going east (no generator time, even after sleeping in the rest area 6 hours). I haven't topped off the tanks from our west bound return, but i suspect it is slightly lower, we always seem to run a little faster coming home.

going east Buc-ee's had diesel for 1.95 & by the time we returned the price at the same station had fallen to 1.86
Old 12-03-2015, 09:48 PM   #97

I did not get that low of cost for diesel, lowest was $2.25 along I-40 in AR and OK, although I use big truck stops, there were a few smaller places with lower. I would rather ensure fresh and uncontaminated fuel for a slightly higher cost, plus the ease of filling in the truck lanes since I have both sides to fill. It is nice having $150-250 partial fill-ups vs $400 partial fill-ups though! I typically like to keep about 1/2 tank or more, and fill where fuel is lower cost. I also have the "professional driver" rewards cards so i get the free shower credits that are nice to get cleaned up when overnighting in a truck stop; and get cash credit towards food and drinks.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:54 PM   #98

understand - Buc-ee's is a HUGE station so pulling in w/ the jeep wrangler / toad, filling one side then turning around to fill the other side is not a problem....120 fuel pumps is common.

they have high fuel turn over because of the prices & attractions.

the thing i HATE about the truck stops is having to pay cash to get the advertised low price....it means going in and out of the store and waiting in line TWICE usually (once to pay & another to get my balance back).

FLYING J's w/ the RV lanes give you the advertised CASH price even if you use a credit or debit card...and they have pumps on both sides (but its a master master config, so you have to swipe the card for each pump) I don't mind the master/master pumps at the RV lanes, cause it allows me to watch and see how even I'm burning from each tank (and its usually not even....ive been 10 gallons off between tanks sometimes).
Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #99

We're leaving MN on Thursday heading to Mizzery. Going to visit a niece at Mizzoo Friday night. Then onto Branson for Saturday through Thursday. Going to take in some shows and stuff. Never been there.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 PM   #100

Heading out of St. Paul, MN, tomorrow. Going west on I-94 through Fargo, ND, then continuing west until we get to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Going to be staying at the Blackwell Island campground there. Check in Friday, Aug. 19. Staying until the following Tuesday or Wednesday. Then heading back to MN. Going to take a more southern return route through Mt. Rushmore, Black Hills. Probably going to hide in Walmarts or rest stops, or warehouse/industrial parks other nights. Since most of the driving we'll be putting miles on and I don't like to check into a campground later in the evening and bother people with the noise. Our friend/neighbor is competing in the Ironman triathlon at Coeur d'Alene. So we're bringing his wife and their 5 children, and their Honda Pilot, with us. He's flying out and then riding back with us. We like to have a crowd in our camper. The kids are pretty good kids too. Ages 1.5 to 12 years.