Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

Default Looking at this truck conversion on Saturday.

We're going to look at this truck conversion on Saturday.

2010 Peterbilt 379 Custom Coach Race Hauler For Sale

I'd like comments, opinions, and shared experiences with the following:

1. C-15 CAT 475 HP

2. 12 SPEED FULL CLUTCHLESS AUTOMATIC ROCKWELL MERITOR TRANNY

3. CUMMINS ONAN GENERATOR DIESEL 632 HRS S/N E100124636 MODEL # 12HDKCD-2209D 12,000 WATT

Anything I should be concerned about? Any specific model number or series that make better or worse?

Thanks!

Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 AM   #2

That is a great looking rig. I would guess that the truck being a 2002 and the conversion a 2010 that the truck had a life prior to the conversion. I would try to find the history of what the truck was used for. My Pete had in the glove box the name of the original owner. An eight year old truck could have had major work done. Was the transmission the original or was it put in during the conversion? You might want to think about an inspection. Good luck and keep us posted Kenn.

Kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #3

Looks pretty good to me. I have heard good and bad things about the C15. But that's from truck drivers. For our use there might be less bad? The complaints I've heard were about the twin turbo setup.

I've heard lots of good things about the Ultrashift 2 pedal 12 speeds. I think that might be the trans in this truck. My son used to drive for a company that had straight 10's in all their trucks, fully manual 10 speeds. They got a couple Ultrashifts in and they mechanics didn't care for them. Said they had too many issues with u-joints. Shop manager thinks they were leaving them in gear and just putting on the parking brake. Is that possible? I haven't heard any major problems with all the guys that have them on the HDT forum.

My generator guy said Onan makes very good diesel generators. I don't talk to him too much because he's very busy so I'm not going to call him to ask about this one. Pretty low hours on yours. Start it up and make sure there are no error codes blinking on the panel light.

You might want to stop at a truck parts/repair place and pick up an oil analysis kit. They're only about $15-20. You get a small plastic bottle that you can put some engine oil from that C15 into (you're going to need a plastic tube and vacuum pump to draw some out of the fill tube, unless you're lucky and they have a drain valve on the pan. Send it in and you'll get a good printout of how the engine is doing. Or, if you take it someplace to have an inspection tell them to do the oil analysis there.

I wish I wasn't working this Saturday. I'd love to drive the 150 miles down there and look at it with you. Hope the roads are clear so you can get a nice drive in with it.

I've never seen a urinal in an rv before. Wow, kind of cool.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #4

Sooooooo??? How did it look? Did you buy it?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #5

I should have updated. Cathie got ill late last week or our trip to La Crosse was postponed. We're headed back this Saturday though. Thanks for checking up.
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote