Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #1

Short version-----Live on Long Island NY---Rig in Rhinebeck NY, hopefully Rig will never see Long island. Called a RV place in Rhinebeck, asked them about Inspection, they said, "if you live on Long Island, your Rig must be inspected there" I always thought a NY State inspection, covered the State. According to this guy even if my plans are to keep the Rig in Rhinebeck, and other states, then eventually full time all over the country, i must purposely drive back to Long Island every year to get it inspected at a place the Rig will never be, Am i missing something here? Thanks Gene.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

Move on out here to North Dakota, our legislature can't even spell inspector, unless you need your cattle, brand inspected.

States seem to create an excuse to tax or hassle citizens at every turn. I've never heard of a local inspection only rule. What are they concerned with, the fellow 20 miles down the road might let something slip by? or the possibility that if they find something wrong, you might have the problem fixed over there, and then the community might miss out on their share of the fine and repair sales tax.

as always, follow the money.

-blizz

Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #3

I don't get it. What are they inspecting? We don't have any inspections in MN. Kinda late now since you've already bought it, but, you might be able to create a L.L.C. in Montana and avoid any of that inspection junk. And the license tabs are very cheap there to renew it every year. The biggest advantage with the LLC is no sales tax, but you've already paid that, darn. I'd look into it for now tho since then you wouldn't need to get it inspected. Are you sure you need it inspected? Maybe they're trying to claim it's a truck to be inspected? Do all r/v's need inspection in NY?
Old 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #4

"Most vehicles with diesel engines are also exempted. However, diesel-powered vehicles that weigh more than 8,500 lbs. and are registered in the New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, and the five counties within New York City, are
subject to annual emissions inspection. All diesel-powered vehicles over 8500 lbs. GVWR operated in New York State, even if registered elsewhere, are subject to roadside inspections. These safety and equipment inspections are conducted randomly statewide by the New York State Police and the New York State Department" of Transportation."

link to PDF file:
NY State DMV Inspections

blizz
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #5

Oh my, that's a dang odd law. I suppose the nice thing about it is they sniff the pipe to see if the truck is running okay. I don't think you got it right tho, did you? It looks like you register it where you want it registered. You want to register it in Rinebeck, I'm guessing that's out of the NY Metro area? Looks like you can do that can't you? Then you might just get pulled over for a roadside safety and equipment inspection randomly?