Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #1

Default RV Chassis for 48 Dodge COE

Hi Guys, this is my first post on this site so please be kind. I know almost nothing about RV's; I bought what is reported to be a 78 Dodge RV with a 440/727 combination for a drivetrain, I believe the chassis is a M400. The package included a 48 Dodge COE which is why I bought it; the cab alignment with the "wheelhole" relative to the front wheel of the chassis is good - problem is the wheels/tires on the RV are 17.5/8 with an 8 lug 6.5" hole spacing. The old Dodge COE originally had 20 or 22 inch wheels so the 17.5's make it look like it's sitting on a "rollerskate" (wheels/tires are to small), of course the problem applies equally to the rear suspension. I haven't been able to find 20 inch rims with the 8/6.5 lug pattern, any ideas appreciated. Spindle change? Are there adapters (prefer not)? What about the rear end, ie; more complicated change issue and what abour gear ratio with 20's? Help.

Jim Egan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #2

we sell American Eagle wheels for duallies in a 20x7.5" size for a direct fit on your 8x6.5" bolt pattern. Dually - Eagle Alloy Wheels We have both the series 058 (holes) and series 056 (spokes) available. Complete set of 6 aluminum wheels, hubcentric, with all hardware to install. Give me a call. Dave @ Custom Performance Products, 330-503-3213.

These are really designed to mount 20" offroad type tires on lifted later model 4x4 duallies, but all the hub/bolt pattern specs are the same for the new Dodge trucks as the old motorhome chassis like yours, no reason they should not work. You would need to source an appropriate tire size for your project that will work on a 20x7.5 wheel.

If you are not after an aluminum wheel like that, you could move up to a 19.5" steel wheel like they used on the old Chevy P-series bread vans. You can usually locate them in junkyards. They are 19.5x6.5 with an 8x6.5" bolt pattern. You would need to have the center bore opened up to 4.77" for your Dodge chassis vs. the 4.56" center hole on the old Chevy trucks. Any local machine shop can do it, we use new accuride wheels like that when we sell the Eagle 19.5 aluminum wheels and need 19.5 steel inners to match. You can buy new accuride 19.5" wheels from Rickson Truck Rickson Wheel Manufacturing already machined for your Dodge, talk to Dan over there he is very knowledgeable and can supply trim rings etc. as well.

hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #3

Sounds like a really neat project. Check the width of the old Dodge cab against the width of the front wheels on the MH chassis. The chassis may be quite a bit wider than you cab.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #4

Hot Rod and andyg thanks. I really never expected such quick and complete a response; I'll be in touch and check it out. Thanks again, Jim
Jim Egan is offline   Reply With Quote