Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #1

What are the pro's and con's about each of these motorhomes? We are definitly going a 30ft twin screw wtih either the 450h.p. or the 515h.p. freightliner columbia. We are neck and neck between which coach to go with. Please all comments are welcome. Thank You!
Old 07-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #2

...new or used?...geofkaye

Old 07-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #3

Renegade will do more changes if you want them. Haulmark likes to do the cookie cutter approach. Did you look @ United?
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:28 PM   #4

Either one would be orderd within in a couple of days so it would be new. I have looked at united but i think i am still leaning towards rengade and haulmark. Thank You!
Old 07-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #5

....so play the game with the dealers....don't stop thill they say "not a cent lower"....takes time and energy but it's all about money...and nothing else.....geofkaye....who usually says...." so, if I buy this truck from you-what are you going to do for me?" and other things that un-nerve sales persons and their sales managers.....and DO not Write a check-put the 10% Down Payment on a credit card-as per BBB.....keeps everyone honest....make sure there is a delivery/finish date on the contract for delivery....or a right of refusal/return of all money....
Old 07-16-2005, 01:04 AM   #6

How tall and how big and how old are you..Us Old Tall Fat people really appreciate the notched out upper bunk (used by Haulmark) that allows you to get into the driver seat without crawling in head first and then trying to turn around and get your feet on the pedals... Personal preference is the look of the over cab section... I don't like the chisel cut of the Renegade... If it was neck and neck for me I would work up a set of specs and give it to one of them for a price and then take it to the other and see if they will match it. if they do take it to the other again and tell them what they offered..etc...etc... until one of them said "well just buy theirs then".. and I would probably buy that one's rig..
JMHO
John
OH PS what Geof said...
5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 PM   #7

We have decided to go with the haulmark. We have the choice to either go with the 450 hp mercedes or the 515 hp detroit. We have been told that the 450 is quieter and is more efficient. We dont really feel like we need more hp but for the 5000 dollar upgrade it wouldnt be a problem. We are looking for reliablity and low engine noise. We will have to wait 30 days longer for the 450 but will would like others opions.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 PM   #8

.....Dee-troit and Mercedes are all the same company now....it's not that much of a differance-except the Dee-troit is USA made unite and MB is made somewhere else.....might take a day or two to get parts with the MB........I'd go with price just now as the market for custom rigs is slowing right now....and resale is what ever the market will allow. Have you looked at the insurance yet?.......my total insueance for truck and trailer is about $600 a year-a bus is about 3000k a year....a conversion has to be somewhere in between......geofkaye
Old 07-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #9

BTW TOM 123....check the IRS rules for write off and 2nd house and depreciation.....you might find those interesting....geofkaye
Old 07-17-2005, 11:27 AM   #10

No parts delay on MB fully stocked @ every freightliner dealer. Our FULL insurance (covers a/c, awning etc.. is around 850 for the year
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #11

.....I should expalin....I have only Liability-nothing else-I don't need it and I have a 5 million umbrella...geofkaye
Old 07-22-2005, 06:32 PM   #12

C.D. I have read elsewhere that the Haulmark didnt have enough outside storage ?
BWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:07 PM   #13

Tom123, If you did not order yet, make sure that your dealer shows you the latest interior. Haulmark changed parts of the interiors and your dealer may not have the latest color schemes to show you.- IMHO they have more of a travel trailer look than they did before the change. I am biased towards the Renegade, but I sell them and United Specialties and I used to have a Haulmark. Good Luck.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:23 PM   #14

rjdhomes....glad your back and "mouthing off"...I/we appreciate your cander as a dealer[at least I do]...though I don't agree with you all the time....you know your business and are not forgiving in your opinions....something this forum needs is opiniated discussion....geofkaye
Old 08-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #15

Well right now I'd buy a Haulmark in a heartbeat over Renegade purely because I've tried ordering parts for my Renegade trailer 3 different times over the last year and have gotten nothing. No parts, no return calls, no return emails, no contact whatsoever. Can't stand a place too busy trying to get new customers to take care of their existing ones. I'd bug them every day but I'm busy taking care of my own customers....
Old 08-23-2005, 11:37 AM   #16

geof, thanks? I think. I try to be as honest as I can and hope that I can help someone. I don't hide that I am a dealer and I try not to be a salesman for my products on these forums. If I am ever out of line, I would expect to be called on it.

Bob
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #17

FWIW I feel that selling the products gives you an insight we don't have and more info is always a good thing.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #18

......after all, this is the "information age" we are able to proccess more info many times faster than we were just a few years ago.....opinions-pix-forums all this has lead to better and wiser purchasing and some product development....at least in the RV industry. Ask anyone who has looked at this forum and has participated......they become informed consumers almost overnite...[as long as they can keep their eyes open and read].....It takes stones for a dealer to put his knowledge/opinion/experience on the line-most aren't used to being...eh.....blunt or even forthcoming these days.....again the cream rises to the top even under close observation. Bob stay with us....you seem to give more than take and in your line of business that surely is a change of attitude......and refreshing....geofkaye
Old 08-24-2005, 03:14 PM   #19

Hear, hear!
Gary

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote