Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-29-2014, 03:14 PM   #1

Default does anyone drive a class 8 truck with out a cdl?

Just wondering you guys use for a license? Anyone that has a converted semi truck to a RV uses for a drivers license ? In Massachusetts,New hampshire,maine anyone can drive a class A diesel pusher with air brakes with a regular car drivers license.

johnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

It isn't needed to drive my conversion but I have a CDL.
This allows me to drive air brake equipped trucks with a maximum of two trailers and a gross vehicle weight of 120000 lbs. (just a bit of overkill)
Always thank the air brake course that was included in this license and the practical exams that accompanied it.

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 PM   #3

MN allows a person to drive any recreational vehicle with a class D license. In MN the D is the lowest class license, in other words it's the license that everybody gets to drive a car. If you have a D you can drive a RV. Now, in order to have RV plates you have to have an RV. You can't just put RV plates on anything. The MN statute spells out all the requirements to qualify as an RV.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 AM   #4

If it is licensed commercial, and/or used commercially you need a cdl. If it is a legitimate rv, and not used commercially, and not licensed commercial, you do not need a cdl. Note I said "legitimate rv", that doesn't mean you stick a porta potty in it to get an rv plate and still think you can pull your 53' race operation with it and get away without a cdl.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:17 AM   #5

My truck is registered as a 6 passenger RV. I have 6 seat belts.It has a bunk for sleeping in. It will never leave the yard with out the 5th wheel Rv. the Rv is welded to a drop deck trailer. I have room on the back for 4 wheelers,golf cart,car. The definition of a auto home in mass is it must be habitable and used for camping proposes . i think thats covered. Mass law says anyone can drive any RV with a regular license. I am not for hire. I don't Have any sponsors and when I run my truck I don't make any money Its a hobby. But we camp at every track for 3 day.
There is No law that says I have to remove the large 5th wheel plate,or glad hoses but i did or put on stickers I do have not for hire and privet RV, add a bathroom,kitchen,power inverter. like some of the other states.
it just says must be habitable . With the trailer package i think I am.
any input?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0401.jpg  
johnmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #6

Default Michigan

No CDL is required in Michigan as long as the class 8 is not used in commercial service; is used to haul personal possessions only; and is privately owned. For my rig, I had the title changed to read "Peterbilt Motorhome." So, technically, my rig is no longer a class eight vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2768.jpg   IMG_2508.jpg  
Highway OPie (Speed Gray) Grand Rapids, MI: 2003 Peterbilt 379 Motorhome; 550 hp 6NZ Caterpillar C15, Eaton-Fuller 18 speed transmission, 3.36 rear; 63" sleeper and 16' Morgan box.(highwayopie@aol.com). There are many Peterbilts, but this one is mine!
Highway OPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #7

No CDL here either - as everyone has already said, its not necessary for an RV.
in TEXAS if it has air brakes you're are supposed to have a class B endorsement.

Johnmc - How long is that set up & whats it weigh ?
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #8

I am looking at building a HDT to pull my 37' toy hauler,it would strickly be a toter, we are in Washington state and have already ran into issues with the state not wanting to change the title away from commercial, I do have a Class A cdl but wanted to get away from dealing with DOT and the scales all the time. I have told them it will no longer tow a semi trailer but so far no luck, to top it off they will not let me put combination plates on the Rv so I can pull more then one trailer. Has anyone one else delt with Washington State?
mhdragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 AM   #9

take a look at the escapees forum, and the hdt rally forum. Both great sources of info for hdt conversion to pull a camper. I have seen folks in some states add the required items to the truck itself to make it legally a camper. Varies by state, but generally requires a bed, 110 electric and/or water plumbing, cooking, refrigeration, bathroom, or some combination of those. At that point it is legally an RV and they have to issue you an RV title. Some states require you to remove the commercial fifth wheel, but that should not be a problem you will want to get rid of that in favor of an RV fifth wheel anyway. Preferably an air hitch, the hdt can really tear up the hitch/frame on a camper in no time, campers are built for the nice soft springs on a pickup truck, and hdts are built to tow a 50000# trailer. You can probably see the problem there. I am really happy with my Trailersaver hitch, but the guys on the hdt forum all swear by the ET hitch.

Good luck!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #10

Yeah, pretty much every state in America will allow you to operate a recreational vehicle FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES without a CDL.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:30 AM   #11

So I'm new to this Forum. I drive a Chevy Durmax 2500 and pull my NewMar 5th wheel which come in at 14K pounds roughly. What is the cost of conversion to one of these HDT setup's? Say I'm about to buy a Chevy Dually 3500 Durmax @ say, $50K, how would a "Typical" HDT compare...Also what about fuel MPG compare to conventional Diesel pickup?
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #12

WELCOME to the forum (neighbor) !

my F350 (crew cab, long bed, 4x4, SRW, 3.73 rear) gets 15-17 on the highway....when NOT towing ! Tow a large 5th wheel & you can expect to be to 10mpg or less.

you can buy a used tractor (500k miles is considered low miles) for about 30k...and get at 10-13 mpg. you can spend more single-ing the rear axle or building a deck etc.

I think the real issue becomes longevity, serviceability and safety....brakes, trans, engine are all built for significantly larger loads on a tractor compared to those on a 250/2500 or even a 350/3500.

of course you can spend 100s of 1000s on a factory conversion too.
or you can buy one thats already been converted for.

RV Haulers | RV Haulers
Old 09-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #13

There is also a section devoted to mdt and hdt haulers on the sister forum to this one, iRV2 Forum | - RV Forum Community and RV News, also check out the hdt rally site, and escapees, all have good info on hdt's. I tow with an mdt and would never go back to a dually, and will likely move up to a singled hdt for my next truck. Braking, grades, curves, weight handling, all the things that can keep you on the edge of your seat in a dually go away with a big truck. But they are not for everybody.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:07 AM   #14

Default CDL or No CDL

Hello Folks,
New member here. We are looking at going Full Time and need a bit of help.
I have a Texas Class B CDL with Air Brake and 3 other endorsements. Do I need to upgrade to a Class A CDL if I go with a HDT or MDT Toter with Air Brakes ?
Any suggestions on type of Toter? I have been window shopping on the internet and have looked at a couple of the Sport Chassis trucks.
Any and all help most appreciated.

Joseph T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #15

Welcome, Neighbor !

if the (HDT/MDT) tractor/coach is registered as an RV you do NOT need a CDL (only the class b endorsement is necessary if the GCVW is over 26k lbs).

suggestions on a vehicle ? what are you going to be doing with it ?
Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

Default Type of Vehicle

Thanks for the reply.
Going to be going full time and will " bobtail" for runs to the grocery store and other errands plus some short trips .
I like the Terra Star setups, but all I have found have a goose neck hook up nit a 5ht wheel.
Have considered a Haul Mark, but would want a "cargo Box" instead of living quarters. So many options....
Old 12-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #17

An MDT would be marginally easier to use as a "grocery / errand" runner, and while theyre nice and have a high cool factor i see them as significantly over priced - you can buy a good clean low mile tractor for a lot less than an MDT.

Personally I like the HDT stuff for the added margin of safety and longevity.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:43 PM   #18

Default MDT vs HDT

Thanks
I have looked at some HDT's on line and liked what I saw....just really difficult to find any good HDT's
Most I have found have been rode hard and put away wet. I will just have to keep on looking . I have about 12 to 18 months before we hit the road.
I like the Volvos, but again difficult to find one in good shape with less than 700k on it.
Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #19

Looks like you're a good candidate for attending the HDT Rally
Old 01-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #20

Default I have come to the same conclusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moody View Post
So I'm new to this Forum. I drive a Chevy Durmax 2500 and pull my NewMar 5th wheel which come in at 14K pounds roughly. What is the cost of conversion to one of these HDT setup's? Say I'm about to buy a Chevy Dually 3500 Durmax @ say, $50K, how would a "Typical" HDT compare...Also what about fuel MPG compare to conventional Diesel pickup?
I am new to the forum also and new to the concept. I have shopped for a used domestic diesel hauler and have decided I'm not getting enough for the money. I like the idea of a sleeper/RV conversion because there are just more of them out there, but not very interested in driving one AND hauling a second one. I have in mind a short Volvo with passenger seats. Can these be converted to private RV status or does it just depend on the home state laws?

Thanks.

Sculptor57 is offline   Reply With Quote