Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Fueling during the last trip. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/fueling-during-last-trip-7801/)

samcrimm 09-09-2018 11:21 AM

Fueling during the last trip.

So the wife and I went to Florida, me being the cheap guy I am I use Gas Buddy and try and save money fueling up. I fueled up at Murphy Oil 2.73 and other stations were around 3.00 and that saved me 27.00 on a 100 gals. Yes it is a pain to do one side and then circle for the other, but it's worth it.
that got us about 700 miles before i started looking for the cheapest fuel around the pan handle of FL. I went 10 miles to save on fuel and the Gas Buddy price was 2 hours old and when I got there it was 3.09 instead of 2.79 bought fuel across the road for a few cents less. I put on 25 gals and I did that because I was needing to get down the road to look for that cheap fuel. I was mad too. That got me to Mongomery and I had to fight the pumps there at the Raceway! They were slow and the buttons not working! I went inside and asked for 150.00 and was only able to do 75! I moved up to the next pump. And it was slow and I topped off the drivers side. The lady at the counter was in different about the pump not working. Her being an Asia Indian and her indifference just added to my frustration! That price was 2.79, but it was so hard to get! I used my gas buddy card also and got back money. But I had hit my weekly limit with that stop. When we got to Chattanooga I found a Speedway that was 2.66 a gal and got more off because I used my speedway card and saved more. So the start and the finished fueling was my best experience.

I like to stop once to fuel up every 700 miles. we can go around 850 plus.
Hate people rigging fuel prices, cost time and money.
Hate clerks / owners that could care less. the buttons did just quit that day.
Hate truck stop prices! 3.25 plus prices.

Today's fuel price at the station I used in Chattanooga, Speedway on 3956 Brainerd Rd is 2.39. (A lot cheaper than Wed.) Pilot Truck Stop is at 3.29
100 gals at 2.39 versus say 3.29 is a .90 difference I know the 2.39 is not the norm, IT only takes a couple of savings like this I get a free truck full.
We did 1200 plus miles and got better fuel mileage than i have in pass trips. Not for sure why but it was over 7 mpg. I did run a few 100 Rpm lower than normally. I don't have my logs to tell you every thing. Not at the Renegade right now.

I am ready to go again!

Sam

Bottomland4x4 09-09-2018 06:38 PM

Just got back from a 600 mile round trip to the outer banks. Crazy how truck stop prices are 3.39 cash, 3.45 credit! Waiting to fill up close to home for 2.88. Haven't checked the mileage till I fill up, but the truck is showing 8.90mpg. It's usually pretty close.

solo318 09-10-2018 04:57 PM

I just got done paying 3.15 a gallon in Sebring. Hopefully I can find something cheaper in Chatanooga this weekend.

samcrimm 09-10-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solo318 (Post 48127)
I just got done paying 3.15 a gallon in Sebring. Hopefully I can find something cheaper in Chatanooga this weekend.

That Speedway I fueled up at is newer and the diesel is at 2.77 per gas buddy 1 hour ago, send me your email and I will invite you to join gas buddy and I get credit and you can find cheaper fuel.

my email is samcrimm@gmail.com

Thanks
Sam

tnpete 09-16-2018 03:57 PM

Truck stops love that game. With the right card and carrier. You get 50 cents to 90 cents per gallon off pump prices. While anyone else can get that big 10 cents off the pump prices.
My KW T600 holds 475 gallons. So don't fuel up often. Buy fuel where its cheaper and when I want to.

#90-GTSC 09-17-2018 11:25 AM

Our M/H holds 208 gallons and at 8+ mpg we have a 1,600 mile range, realistically 1,400 less whatever the generator takes when we use it.

We have a fuel discount card through another web site that gives us a discount off the cash price at Love's. The money is deducted a day or so after the purchase from our checking account.

In addition, we use Gas Buddy. We quite chasing "cheap fuel" with the M/H after getting to the station and finding the price 10 to 30 cents a gallon over what was reported to Gas Buddy the previous evening or that morning. If the cheap diesel per Gas Buddy isn't on the road or we can't verify the price by phone, we won't go out of our way!

samcrimm 09-17-2018 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #90-GTSC (Post 48135)
Our M/H holds 208 gallons and at 8+ mpg we have a 1,600 mile range, realistically 1,400 less whatever the generator takes when we use it.

We have a fuel discount card through another web site that gives us a discount off the cash price at Love's. The money is deducted a day or so after the purchase from our checking account.

In addition, we use Gas Buddy. We quite chasing "cheap fuel" with the M/H after getting to the station and finding the price 10 to 30 cents a gallon over what was reported to Gas Buddy the previous evening or that morning. If the cheap diesel per Gas Buddy isn't on the road or we can't verify the price by phone, we won't go out of our way!

which fuel discount card do you use?

Sam

bushpilot 09-24-2018 05:03 PM

We tend to use Flying J more than anything - with the exception of a few that we know are consistently cheaper -

Queen City (Meridian Ms), at the I-20/I59 interchange
SpeedWay (Dandridge Tn), at Exit 412 I-40 (just north of Knoxville) - the speed way is a cross the street from a Loves (that can be 25+ cents higher).

Both Queen & Speedway charge us the cash price (even when using a card).

We use Buc-ees to top up before we leave or when returning to Home/Texas (I-10 Baytown, Tx & I35W Fort Worth)...We have several other Buc-ee's (one near COTA/Austin).

Buc-ees dont have master / slaves - but the fuel is so cheap its worth maneuvering the coach (100s of pumps and HUGE parking lot makes it easy).

Otherwise we LOOK FOR and use the RV lanes at Flying J (cash price when using credit, in RV lanes)...and we also get a 3 cent discount for being a Good SAM (aka Camping World) member.

Ive never had an issue getting in & out of the RV Lanes at Flying J, and the RV lanes have Master/Slave pump configurations.

We use our United Airlines Card - since we can use the points.

I use Gas Buddy & Flying J/Petro fuel app (loves has one too).

Flying J reports fuel prices (15min updates) and it'll tell you how far you are from the one selected or closest....also identifies what services are available (aka RV Lane, Propane etc).

bushpilot 09-24-2018 05:38 PM

I should have said - Im as cheap as any....but we try not to chase fuel. Getting too far off the interstate is a crap shoot and I'm more interested in getting to our destination and making time.

I'm a splash and dash (think F1 pit stop) kind.

We run Texas to Virginia a lot (grandson, family., college)....we can do it in one fuel stop, even if im hot footing it and because we've done it so many times we know where we need to or like to stop (Including rest areas) - so ive saved 'em on google maps (some rest areas are hard to find)

Over the years we've learned where to stop for fuel (we also confirm the price).

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-.../i-9hZpZjq.png

Bob86ZZ4 09-24-2018 09:33 PM

Minnesota is about $3.25/gallon now.

bushpilot 09-24-2018 10:25 PM

Damn Bob that sucks!

Diesel here in NW Houston is $2.75

Im headed out to Birmingham next week and fuel at my normal (Flying J, McCalla Al) stop is $3.13

Queen City is $2.79 so ill more than likely take advantage of that and top up in Meridian and then top up one final time before heading into the track to camp.

samcrimm 09-27-2018 06:39 PM

How that front fender looking , could you get enough white duck tape to make it look smooth?

Sam

#90-GTSC 11-04-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samcrimm (Post 48138)
which fuel discount card do you use? Sam

We got it through AITA and the Prevost Community Forum. At Love's. Ten cents off the cash price. They ACH the money from your checking account the next day. There is a credit card option, which isn't as big as discount, but I can't remember exactly the deal they have.
We use an AITA card at the pump don't go inside. Get an email after the purchase with the details. Doesn't work in Indiana and I'm told in I think Oregon.

On a recent trip to Maine and Tennessee, we found the least expensive diesel in Maine and Loudon, TN right off the Interstate … but it was a car/light truck pump. Took 45 minutes to take on 150 or so gallons.

bushpilot 11-04-2018 08:26 PM

#90-GTSC... these days there no freekin' way im linking any cards to a checking or bank account of any kind.

#90-GTSC 11-07-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bushpilot (Post 48204)
#90-GTSC... these days there no freekin' way im linking any cards to a checking or bank account of any kind.

My career was home mortgages and banking. Eight of the last ten years of my working life was spent in the Operation Risk department of the 22nd largest bank in the country with $65 billion in assets. The size of the bank and my responsibilities exposed me to the operational aspects, the risk checks and balances, and the compromises associated with the bank's products.

Two of these products were credit/debit cards and Automated Clearing House (ACH) transactions.

We experienced MANY more security breaches and compromised accounts with credit and debit cards than we ever experienced with the ACH system. Credit/debit breaches ranged from a lone wolf putting a scanner on the pump at the filling station or ATM to employees at a restaurant copying your card information when they took the card "in back" for processing to massive breaches resulting from compromised card processors.

I eventually came to the conclusion that it isn't a matter of "if" any of the bank's cards were going to get compromised the issue was "when".

In my fairly knowledgeable opinion, the ACH transactions are much safer. The ACH system is a "closed" system. Both the sender and receiver of the transactions must be qualified and meet various underwriting criteria by the banks handling both ends of the transaction. The rules regarding chargebacks for inappropriate or improper charges are pretty liberal and are in favor of the customer who had the money taken out of their account.

If you're against giving someone your account information to allow the ACH transaction to occur, then you shouldn't be writing a check to anyone. All the information that's needed to initiate a transaction from you checking account is right on the front of your check. Bank Routing Number and account number.

bushpilot 11-11-2018 08:33 AM

its not if im against giving some one the keys to a kingdom - its WHO gets them....the more folks that have this information the more likely the problems.

im very familiar w/ banking and security - Well Fargo has compromised accounts plenty....and then tried to claim it was my fault (my systems are about as secure as they can be). I dont use debit / pins and I do minimal direct transfers.

to each their own - but for a couple of points its not worth the trouble to me.

chargebacks may error on the side of & protect the consumer - but eventually someone pays for it (and its never the thieves).