Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   FL MB106, I think (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/fl-mb106-i-think-4608/)

Vicki 02-01-2004 03:16 PM

I have chosen a SH 30' box for my four girls and me. The dealer encouraged me to look at the Columbia, but at $25,000 more, it's too much. Dealer says the MB106 will be just fine. It comes std w/ a MBE900, I want an automatic. Beyond that, I know nothing. Are there any options I should consider, is this engine enough for me. I have been lurking here for a while and have learned a lot, but I just don't get this engine stuff. https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...n_confused.gif Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

(I hereby promise Bill that I will learn how to post pics on the web and post pics of the rig here before anywhere else.)

WERA 02-01-2004 04:59 PM

What are you doing with it - i.e. pulling a race trailer etc...

Also - have you looked into used trucks? Showhauler will build on your chassis no problem and most of their dealers should be able to help you find one.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing

Vicki 02-01-2004 06:03 PM

It is strictly MH use, travelling cross country. I'm kind of nervous, buying used, because I don't know enough about this to make an informed decision.

Hadn't considered asking dealer to help find a used one. I'm sure they're trustworthy, but obviously would feel better knowing something myself. At least what to look for.

geof 02-01-2004 08:34 PM

Rule #1 .....there is NO such thing as a "trustworthy dealer".....Buyer Be Aware.....geof

Vicki 02-01-2004 08:43 PM

You are correct, Geof! That's why I'm here asking all of you for help!! https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif

geof 02-01-2004 10:04 PM

Vicki...I don't know what part of the country you are in but hook up with Sean {WERA} Clark and have a look at his rig....$120k is a reasonable price to start with.....[then you can beat him down good!]....there is a guy in Ky that has a Showhauler/Sterling for $139k @ Rusty Jones Racing IIRC and there are a few more around if you have the time to shop. Lonnie at Showhauler might know of a few more-he's more than helpful. Warpath [Bill] has a few contacts for one-offs and being the start of racing season there are a few more on the market if you have the time to look...Don't be in too much of a hurry-this is an expensive sport....Might be a good idea to wait till maybe till June or July to get serious being an election year["no change in interest rates till after Novenber"] and all "maybe a change in the ecnomic enviroment".....geof-near Cincinnati

WERA 02-02-2004 08:15 AM

LOL - I'll agree wiht selling her mine (although to be honest I have 3 people interested in it right now) - however the price is gonna be pretty firm. I lowballed it on purpose so I can get it gone and get Lonnie working on the new one https://www.truckhome.com/infopop/emo...icon_smile.gif

Back to Vicki's questions - seriously, call Showhauler and tlak to Lonnie. He knows his stuff, used and new, and has been extremely helpful with every question I've had. He can also vouch for the condition of my rig if you are interested (sorry, couldn't resist another plug).

Also - I'm just North of Atlanta, and will be in Talladega, AL this weekend if you're near either and just want to look at one.

Sean P. Clarke

Vicki 02-02-2004 01:51 PM

Thanks, Sean. I will call Lonnie. I'm in the south suburbs of Chicago and have no plans on visiting GA soon. I did see a unit at the dealer in Morris (Concept Haulers). He's a 30 minute drive from me.

I'll be in touch!

RICHARD PHELPS 02-02-2004 02:09 PM

Viki:
I just got thru looking at the latest issue of National Dragster,(an NHRA publication) and thought about you. This issue is loaded with new and used motorhomes, so if you know of any drag racers in your area, beg, borrow or steal one and take a look, even the new dealers have dropped there advertized prices.
Lonnie is also a good source,(and has a new copy of ND, by the way), check him out, he is fun to deal with ant not far from you.

PHELPS

02-02-2004 09:03 PM

Viki. Richard Phelps has the same answer that I was going to give. The National Dragster is the NHRA weekly newspaper and the new issue is the start of this years 48 issues. There are twelve pages of advertising on truck conversions, both motorhomes and toterhomes. Advertising for manufacturers, dealers, new and used units.

If you are in the Chicago area, you are near several dealers. For this size purchase a little driving will get you in contact with a choice of dealers.

If you cannot find a copy of the National Dragster then post again and one of us can post a list of dealers and their locations in the general area.

You are so close to the manufacturing plants that you should plan on touring some of them.

Vicki 02-03-2004 07:33 AM

Kevin @ ConceptHaulers says the 3126cat with a 6 speed Allison transmission is the engine he quoted me. I'll be calling Lonnie in a few minutes. Thank you for all you input.

Vicki

Warpath 02-03-2004 01:44 PM

Vicki -

The 3126cat is rated at 300 hp for this application or make sure it is (just a computer program change if not, so don't worry) The limiting factor for the 3126 in this application is the radiator or it could be programmed for 330 hp / 860 ftlbs torque.

Since your not pulling a race trailer or hanging out in the Rockies, you should be fine. You have to remember the 3126 is in a majority of the low to mid range pusher motorhomes. I have a buddy with a 36' pusher with the 3126 and the Allison 6 speed and has no complaints with the power. Beleive me I asked him when I started to look at the FL106. The best possible situation would be to get behind the wheel and take a test run, you may want to check with Lonnie and see where the couple of M2's he's built went and see if they will allow a test drive.

I don't think your going to find or at least very easily a full automatic used truck or for that matter conversion. Most of the late model conversion units are semi-auto (clutch to start and stop with auto shift) or manual transmission. Meritor does have a clutchless trannie, but again there are very few out there so far and they are going to be on the bigger trucks (mo money)

Now as far as options are we talking for the conversion or the FL106?

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FLD 120 www.showhauler.com

Vicki 02-03-2004 04:58 PM

Spoke with Lonnie today. He says the 3126 will be just fine for me. He doesn't recommend buying used because of warranty issues, and on top of that, to find an automatic would prove difficult. He's looking at reconfiguring something for all us girls (= more wardrobe space) in a smaller unit. I wasn't too concerned w/ power going up hill. I was more concerned about coming down the hill! He assures me the braking power in the M2 will be more than adequate.

Bill, I was specifically asking for FL106 options. Lonnie assures me that there isn't an otpion out there that he hasn't already put on. However, since you bring it up, how about conversion options? Any must haves you all want to share with me?

Thanks!
Vicki

WERA 02-04-2004 03:44 PM

You and four girls? Well, having grown up in an all female household except for me and the plants - get the extra water tank for a total of 200 gallons.

Extra mirrors and more towel racks. Look at the bathroom sink and talk to Lonnie about other options. The one in mine is small and great for me but you can't share it. Other than, make sure you have enough comfy seating for everyone, the dinette gets to be uncomfortable after a while for hanging out at night, two couches if the plan will fit them would be great for 5 people.

That's all I can think of right now, we use ours at the racetrack and have people in almost every weekend just to hang out if nothing else so I'll see what I wish for as they're all in the RV.

Sean P. Clarke