Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #1

I bought my t/c in April. I've taken it on some trips around MN and love it. Right now I'm in Spearfish, SD. There are certainly some good climbs around here compared to MN. Nothing like the real mountains I know tho. My first three fillups of fuel I got 8.1 mpg (that fill was a lot of in city driving, start and stop, short errands and stuff), then 9.1 mpg for the next two. Some of that driving was pulling my enclosed car hauler, approx. 7,000 lbs loaded. Then this most recent fill I got 9.3 mpg. That was almost entirely pulling the car hauler and heading west across SD. I cruise about 66-68 mph. Cruise control almost entirely. On the steepest climbs it'll drop about 3 mph. At those speeds I'm turning a hair over 1400 rpm's on the tach. I sure am glad I joined the elite ranks of the truck conversion owners! My wife doesn't as much like the ride in the cab, not as smooth as our Allegro 32' class A gasser. The truck conversion pulling a 32' (length overall, ball to tailgait) enclosed trailer sure is a good way to get noticed too. Not a common site in most campgrounds and a good way to start conversations with fellow campers.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #2

....your driving ability is showing up in your fuel mileage...If I had not been born with a lead foot and leg maybe I get those numbers...hehehe anyway way to go!....my favorite number seems to be 78 for whatever reason......my mpg stays around 8.4 on the computer and 8.2 on paper.....geofkaye

geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #3

Bob,
We are running about 40K LBS and just getting the whole thing sorted during (including how to drive it) the first Summer of actual travel in the truck.

We just returned from a 7-day trip to CO with our 2001 T2 drop deck garage coach. 4 bikes, 4 guys and all of our gear in the truck and we got 9.8 mpg avg on the computer. It looks pretty close to correct based on a first pass on paper but I haven’t finished auditing all the miles and all the gallons to verify it just yet. I am running an N14 @450hp Autoshift II 65mph at 1300rpm so our gearing is close but I may be lighter with out the car trailer ?

Mountain passes and both up and down are fun and easy as compared to the old 34ft Chieftain. Jakes are such a wonderful aspect of this truck in the mountains. 9th gear at 55 mph over the top of Monarch pass...I was actually speeding. It is defiantly more of a handful in the campgrounds and when loading here in the neighborhood, but once we are on the open road it’s a dream.

It's big but it's fun.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:44 PM   #4

BoB ...how many miles on your engine total?....are you sure it is broken in good yet?....Just off the top of my head I remember the truck shop saying that the engine needed maybe 50,000+ to 75,000+ miles to get it's top fuel mileage and that was "working the engine"...BTW you are making me jealous talking about your mileage.....my problem is the lead foot and leg issue....I like the ride at 70-75 mph....and that is good for a reduction of 2mpg.....damit!....need to have the 'puter reset for a better mpg-but after the $150 it cost- it is a brake even for a year or so.....could be by that time a get a newer tractor....geofkaye
Old 08-01-2009, 07:34 AM   #5

I've only got 55k on it now, about. That's on the entire rig. Mine was ordered from Freightliner new to be made into a truck conversion. I'm guessing it should come up a bit in the mileage dept. when I've gotten more miles on it. It does turn 1400 rpms at 65 mph. I suppose they could have spec'd a higher gear (lower numerically) rear end to bring the rpm's down. I don't think it would be cost effective to change gears just for the mileage. If the rear diff was to puke out then I'd look into different gears.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #6

..drive it like you stole it and your mpg will increase....my n-14 will do 68 at 1450 all day long in 10th with the cruise on....but then again I feel a need for speed and crank it to 75 every chance I get....then the mpg drops to about 8.0 my tractor has 425k on it and needs a lube...other than that if I slow down I have gotten as much as 10.5 but that is about 55mph with cruise on and I get stressed out unless all traffic is going the same speed then it is OK to drive in the slow lane all day and nite....geofkaye
Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #7

Hey Bob, are ya going home thru Fargo? I'd love to see your conversion, we aren't too far off 94,a mile straight up Sheyenne st. and I spend most of my weekends and eves working on ours.

give me a call if you travel thru todd 701-793-0919

-blizz
Old 08-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #8

Cool Todd, I'd love to see your rig too. My folks have a place on Lake Sally over by Wefest grounds. We might be coming up there later this week for a few nights. If we come I'm bringing the rig to sleep in. I'll call you.