Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   First of many questions I am sure. (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/first-many-questions-i-am-sure-4283/)

ed s 03-24-2010 10:23 AM

Picking up my 2010 Renegade on Friday. Moving from a 2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor. My first question is with a truck conversion are we to be as concerned about weighing all four corners and setting tire pressure as one needs in a class a??? I do have a tag axle on my new rig.

Thanks
Ed

Bob86ZZ4 03-24-2010 11:03 AM

Wow Ed, I'm very excited for you. What chassis is your truck on? Tag axle I thought meant a non-driving axle on the rear? Not very common on a truck conversion. Are you sure it's not tandem axle? Two drive axles? Tire pressure I didn't know you had to do them for individual corners on a diesel pusher. My truck mechanic said to run my tires at max sidewall pressure. My tires are rated at 110 psi cold. That means when the tires are cold you run them up to 110 lbs. This will make them handle better than a lesser pressure. Less sidewall flex cornering. It will also keep them from heating up as much as lesser pressure. When the sidewalls flex they generate more heat in the tire. They will also give you better mileage, a harder tire has less rolling resistance. Now, others will tell you a softer tire will be smoother and more comfortable. I'm fine with the ride on my truck at 110 psi. Others will tell you 110 is too much. If the manufacturer prints on the sidewall that the tires are good to 110 psi, then they are.
Basically, you can probably ask 10 different people what to run your tires at, and get 8 different opinions.

Are you picking up your truck at Renegade in Indiana? Take lots of pictures. I love pictures of truck conversions.

GENECARP 03-24-2010 04:32 PM

Ed, congrats we are picking up our Ponyexpress in a week, G

Bob86ZZ4 03-25-2010 08:00 AM

Are you buying your Renegade from Eldorado Trailer Sales? Coming through St. Paul at all? Love to see it. I'll buy you lunch. BlizzND bought 3/4 of my family lunch when we visited him. I think that would be a good tradition to start here on Truck Conversion. No fancy lunch tho, I'm too cheap for that.

ed s 03-25-2010 02:05 PM

Bob, yes I will be picking up the coach tomorrow from Eldorado. I will be heading west at some point, think June I will be in Cambridge and Aug will be Lake Elmo. Not sure if there will be other MN visits yet or not.
I will be posting pics when I get a chance next week. I am looking forward to this rig after coming from a class A.

Bob86ZZ4 03-25-2010 02:25 PM

Sounds great, maybe we'll see you this summer then. Anybody else have any ideas about tire pressure? I'm surprised nobody has a thought about this, besides me, and my thoughts are rather off sometimes.

GENECARP 03-25-2010 03:28 PM

I will let you know next week, i am installing the Hawkshead mon system, i will check out the man recomendation and begin with 110 and report back G

ed s 03-25-2010 04:55 PM

With the motorhome they suggested weighing each corner of the coach and then based on a chart from tire company to set pressure according to it. I would think with a truck conversion I will not have to worry about over loading it.

Thanks Bob