Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-18-2017, 05:14 AM   #1

Default Hydraulic leveling questions

I just bought a renegade that has the auto leveling system and I'm not exactly sure how it works. I tried to use it for the first time last night and it seemed to take a long time to try and level. The motorhome was really out of level from side to side and may have been too far out. Also do you dump the rear air bags before you level? And I suppose you put the slide out after it's level?

Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

I seem to always have to manually adjust the level once it is finished with auto-adjusting. Not sure why the auto can't result in level, but it is always in need of final manual tweaking. I don't dump the rear air unless it helps get more level before I start the process. Slides on mine work before or after leveling, I suppose it is best to do it when level though.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:23 PM   #3

I think there is a way to zero the system when you know for sure it's level. I seem to remember reading something about a "null" feature? What brand of system do you have? Might need to google it and see how to do that. Mine has auto level and I've done it long ago. But mine is an "Equalizer Systems" brand so might be different than yours. And I can't remember how I did it. I quit using the auto feature a long time ago though. Too time consuming and even with it zeroed it still sometimes didn't get it level the way I like it. I dump the rear axle air if that helps get it closer before I start leveling. Then I just start extending the jacks that I need to get it level. Once it's level if there are jacks not touching the ground I run those down just until I feel them hit the ground. Not enough to change the level. Done. Seems to me my auto level runs each jack down until they hit the ground and then tries to level. That sometimes makes it difficult for the system to get it level too I think.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #4

google the instructions / manufactures site - if you DONT already have the instructions.
As Bob says, there is a method to ZERO or reset the level (if its off) - I did it to mine.

its NOT necessary to dump the air, the self-leveling (air bags) will balance themselves.

our slide operation is independent of leveling.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #5

I will check all the books, I probably have the one for the leveling system. I was curious how strong it is, would it lift the front or rear tires off the ground to fix a flat? The previous owner said he used it to lift the rear off the ground, bt wasn't sure about the front.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM   #6

Probably depends on what system you've got. Mine says each jack is rated for 20k lbs. I have no problem lifting the front or back wheels off the ground with mine. I do have to build up with blocks of microlam LVL sometimes because they don't have a ton of travel, depending on the slope and such. Be careful lifting the back wheels off the ground if you're on a slope. The parking brake doesn't lock the front wheels so no problem raising them off the ground. But if you're on a slope and lift the back wheels off the ground you could slide on the jack plates.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:34 PM   #7

i have had our coach off the ground ENTIRELY, using our levelers - in fact i do it each time i put it in storage (to prevent flat spotting of the tires).

I have lifted a corner or 3 off the ground to change tires and or rotate tires.

an important thing to remember - when PARKED the parking (spring brakes) are only braking (or locking) the rear wheels - there are no "parking" brakes on the front wheels....NEVER lift the rear wheels w/out stabilizing (i.e. dropping the jacks on the front)....basically its ALL jacks down, every time, even if you're not raising all wheels off the ground.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote