Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 02-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #1

I recently read an article about wall mounted diesel heaters used in cruising type sailboats.

The article mentioned that they only heat the area which they are located, so I guess you could have more than one of them...

Wondering if anyone has ever used one, owns one, and would like to comment on their use in a conversion...

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:50 PM   #2

I have not seen the ones you are talking about but why not just use an Aqua-Hot or Hydro-Hot setup? This is what the "big boy" bus conversion companies use. It burns diesel and heats your rig via hydronic water-to-air blowers that you mount in the tow kick area of your cabinets and such. It also heats you water and can preheat your engine coolant. Aqua-Hot

I plan on using one IF we decide to build a new conversion instead of the 5er we are leaning towards.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:18 PM   #3

.....downside:....high unite cost-high install costs-using diesel fuel at $250 per hundred gallons- freeezing issues if not winterized-leaking into potable water system possible-How many of you have radiater/heater leaks in your cars and trucks?.....I don't know of anyone over the last 10 years that hasn't had at least one.....not many repair depots or places the have things fixed when they leak or break....still needs electricity-pumps and fans- not really sure about the efficienty of the unite[real world numbers] ....upside:even warm heating and endless hot water......but I'm camping and I want to get outside and play I can do the shower thing at home and I only need spot heat-[100% efficient]usually in the AM when I get up[shower and dry offf] as I use superior insulation and very little heat at nite[>1500 watts at 45%] and I do have a pellet stove for heat[32,000 BTU's] also so I don't need to use electricity or diesel to make it.......geofkaye
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #4

we have a small diesel powered heater in a trojan 1500Z payloader , we were very cautious at first ( 15 years ago ) but it keeps on working fine and has not caused any problems as of yet !
Its a great thing for the payloader but I don't think I would want one in my conversion !
And although we never had any trouble with it I would still feel uncomfortable with it running in a area where people were sleeping ! t
fastlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #5

just to annoy geof,,,,, we have one of the new versions of the aqua hot an' i think that it's the just the very best unit going. don't really see why if you are going to really use your coach why anyone would choose anything else. ------ mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #6

....how efficient is it?......geofkaye-[vapoppa- I don't get annoyed when it comes to business........]
Old 03-02-2006, 06:11 AM   #7

They claim 1-4 gal a day. They go on to say that the 4 gal/day would be in subzero temps. And since it is zoned and thermostatically controlled there are times it wouldn't run at all.

Mase-how much room does the main unit take up? Is it basically an entire bay? How loud or quiet is it?
Old 03-02-2006, 10:57 PM   #8

......so $2.50 to $10.00 a day in real money......my 3000 sq ft house operates on $40 a month heat and hot water[natural gas].......You need insulation-not more heat.....my 37' car trailer stays very warm till is goes below "0" then I have to turn on the second 1500 watt electric heater.....when I get up in the AM[11am that is] the trailer is almost 75 degrees if I'm using electric....If I use the pellet stove I have to dump heat as it's lowest is 8000btu's.....so I have to leave the roof vent open in the bathroom to let the heat escape.....Dog is spread eagel on the floor-as it is the coolest part of the vehilce......geofkaye
Old 03-09-2006, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Dog is spread eagel on the floor-as it is the coolest part of the vehilce......geofkaye
I like stories about the dog.

Maxx is like a walking thermometer, based on his body position. Curled up in a ball, he's cold, spread out on the floor, he's hot.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote