Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Cab and chassis

Hey-I took my 22 ft work box off my Freightliner and am going to be driving a 256" wheelbase cab and chassis back east. What kind of a ride is this going to be? I could put a 4000 lb concrete block on the frame rails to keep the tires on the road, any ideas??

Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 PM   #2

Got airbags on it or springs? If it has airbags you might be able to adjust the load sensing arm at the rear, that might soften it up a bit. you will want to watch for the rear tires skidding when you hit the brakes, going to be worse than running bobtail in a tractor. Hopefully the anti lock system will prevent that. The roads get rougher the further east you go..lol

Never thought about putting a block on there for the trip back. maybe set it across the frame rails on a piece of 3/4" ply and strap it down good. I am sure it would make the trip a lot more pleasant. With my luck some DOT officer would be convinced I was hauling concrete interstate without the proper ICC numbers..lol

Don't forget to let the builder know he will be the proud owner of an official "Great White North" paper weight as a token of your appreciation for building you an RV...Otherwise you might get home and lift up your bed and find it was built around the block...

Good luck and be safe on your journey.

Dave

Dragonslayer140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #3

"great white north paper weight"- priceless.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #4

When I drove my cab and chassis back from Wisconsin it was rattling my teeth out until I lowered the tire pressure to about 70# in the front and about 60# in the duals on the 22.5's.. Made a BIG difference. We sell 19.5 dually wheel conversions and recommend the same thing to our customers running those on pickups for a better ride empty.

Hey, I'm looking for a box truck box to mount on my cab/chassis, just drop it off here in Ohio on your way by, that's better than the "paperweight" idea. I've come to the conclusion that I just don't have the time to build my perfect box from scratch, so I figure the easiest thing is a box truck box, just shorten the back end and fill in the back wall with an RV door. instant toter.

Dave
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #5

Hot Rod-I just finished taking the box off my truck, if we had gotten together sooner, it would have happened. Guess I am going to have a garden shed painted to match my motorhome-lol.
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #6

Got the truck to Indiana last week. Seems the DOT guys like me, as I didn't have permits to run the interstates-oppps. Got a couple of permits at the weigh scales, 2 over the phone and ran the rest at night. Seems that as long as the truck is commercial, 3 axles or over 26000 lbs you need permits. BTW it cannot be registered as an rv until it is converted.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #7

Can you expound on that? What kind of permits?
Oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #8

All about the money.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #9

I know that......but what is the requirement?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #10

if you just bought truck you could have gotten a transit permit. maybe able to get one even if you had it titled it already.
volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:25 AM   #11

The truck (cab and chassis) is considered to be a commericial vehicle (which it is in its present state) The various state laws read that all commericial, 3 axle, over 26000 lb trucks must report to the scales. So I am driving a 2007 Freightliner 3 axle, pulling a flatdeck trailer with our car on it (to get home) and the combination weighs 28600 lbs-how do I avoid the scales???
Some states, I was able to buy the permits at the scale for $30. Ohio, I had to phone, fill out a form and that cost $121. Illinnios was screwed up and I think it was over $100 and Indianna I needed a USDOT number that just didn't happen.
Once it is registered as a motorhome, everything will be okay but for the trip it was a challenge.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #12

Why pulling the trailer?

Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to drive the car? tow the car?
Started looking for 379 Peterbilt TC, 24' to 30' box, bumper pull--but ended up w/1999 Liberty Coach conversion of 45' Prevost XLV bus. 1,000sf heated/AC'd race shop w/dump station, 50amp shore pwr where bus parks, 3 NASCAR/ARCA race cars & 26' Bravo trailer.
#90-GTSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #13

Did you have big fat "Not for Hire" signs on the doors?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

Oh yeah-the "NOT FOR HIRE" signs were on both sides-didn't matter.
As far as towing a trailer with the car on it-I thought since we were going 2100 miles and taking 3 1/2 days to get there, it would be nice to travel together and less money than driving both vehicles.
BTW when I have the conversion done and want to get away do I drive the coach, have the bride drive the car and who rides the CVO Roadglide??????
Old 05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #15

All "not for hire" means is that you are "private carrier" hauling only cargo or tools belonging to the carrier (you, or your company). As opposed to a "for-hire carrier" that is paid to haul someone else' cargo. "not for hire" does not mean you are not commercial, just a distinction on how much paperwork you have to have on file at the office, and how much insurance you have to carry. Trust me, I am in the middle of getting legal, usdot, etc.. No fun.

Plus the dot guys know that a truck with huge "rv, private coach, not for hire" stickers plastered all over it are the guys trying to skate anyway. No one is fooled.

Gordy, in your case your truck is truly not commercial, just not in the wise eye of the law until it actually gets to the factory. Did you try playing dumb and just driving right on by the scales with a "who me? commercial?" look on your face, or did you actually stop at the first scale and try do do it legally? Doing something as legitimate as you are, I think I would have carried my contract for the conversion in the glove box and just drove right by the scales. A lot of guys pulling 5th wheel campers with a class 8 truck (on the escapees forum) have had similar concerns and problems when bobtailling. The general consensus over there is just drive by.

Keep us posted on the build.

Dave
Old 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #16

Leave the bride and the car, all you need is the bike. lol.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
The general consensus over there is just drive by.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.....
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #18

Before I got my truck title changed, I tried to do the scales and be an upstanding citizen. they made me pull over and explain (over and over) what a truck conversion was, what was I doing, who was I supposedly working for, and where was all my paperwork. I, of course, replied with "huh?".

So .......... I agree. Drive on by and act ignorant.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:34 PM   #19

Where was this advise before I left-just kidding. I had the letter of conversion and picks of the finished product etc but to no avail. The trip is done and in the books. Next time it will becoming back as a motorhome so I will drive past the scales and smile.
The idea of "running the scale" and playing dumb would probably have cost me $330 in Iowa. I suppose if you had an ordinary drivers license you could plead dumb but with a CDL I should know better-know what I mean?