Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #1

Default Converting Breadtruck to RV Newbie

I purchased a 92 Oshkosh bread truck a couple of days ago and plan on making it into a basic RV. Today I learned that in California if I am successful in getting the commercial rating changed to an RV rating I will be exempt from smog with the Cummins 4BT. Very good news. Now onto the transformation. I am also thinking of registering in Oregon and have yet to discover the facts there. Any and all advice and information is welcome. Smitho

smithoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:36 AM   #2

welcome ! keep us updated on the build out & please share photos.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #3

Looking forward to the photos too! Please take a quick pic before you begin the transformation.
petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

These first photos are going to crack you up there's absolutely nothing in there! I've been using a free program called room arranger to start doing a layout. I'll try and share a picture of that too:-)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #5

Default Breadtruck assessment

Finally got to drive the breadtruck around a bit and discovered some issues. The front left tire has a big wobble at about 35 mph and after jacking up the front figured out that there are some worn parts, kingpins I think. It's currently at my mechanics while we figure out what needs repairing. I've done a bit of research and discovered some info. The truck's chassis was made by Oshkosh in Wisconsin in 1991, the body installed by Utilimaster 1992 in Indiana. I need chassis parts and so far have discovered that Oshkosh was purchased by Freighliner around 1995. My Chassis is the MT10FB. The Freightliner chassis MT35 came after the MT10. The MT35 parts are available without any hassle, the MT10 is like a ghost ship so far. I'm sure we'll find what we need out there somewhere. So far Mill Supply seems to be the source. The body is in xlnt condition and perfect for my project so I'm psyched. Gotta find these chassis parts first or it will never be roadworthy. More later as I get over this first hurdle. If anyone knows about MT10 chassis parts, any info is welcome :-) ps: I'm wishing I bought an MT35 at this point. They're all over the place for the same price and newer with less miles....live and learn. I'm still in love with my MT10 though!