Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   Class 7 Conversion Rally (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/class-7-conversion-rally-4519/)

Jim Gehlen 08-11-2003 08:36 PM

OK Folks, As I feel partially responsible for creating this class 7 converted Volvo's interest back in March/April of 1999, I think that a national rally would be the best event we could have to answer questions, see what everyone has done and create a few more of the best towing rigs (IMHO).

I have been in contact with Kenny Doonan in Wichita, KS and we are now in the planning mode.
Kenny has stated that he would be able to put on a few seminars and has new equipment that he could demonstrate that do a complete safety analysis of the truck (s). There could be tours of aircraft manufacturing plants, science building in Wichita and numerous other tours.

I will also try to have a representative from corporate Volvo in Greensboro, NC put his two cents in also.

What we need to do is come out with a month/day/yr to have this and all the time considering the weather in Kansas.

We are leaning towards September of 04 as a possible month as most workampers are headed for warmer climes and all the holidays are over for a couple of months.

What we need to have to make this happen is a count of potential attendees, dates when they could make it, and suggestions to incorporate.

I am willing to act as wagonmaster for this event and will come up with costs/campground/events.

Please reply to me at JGehlen538@aol.com with

1. Would/will you attend?

2. Is Wichita convienent.

3. What time of year is best?

We will be leaving South Dakota on Sept 4 and will be out of e-mail until about Sept 25 when we will be in Las Vegas.

geof 08-11-2003 09:25 PM

God willing I'll be there....2004 is a long time away....remind me will ya?...I'm old and forget these senior moments are makeing me crazy ; > ) ....geof-near Cincinnati

chuck 08-12-2003 04:09 AM

Jim:

Great idea, God willing I will be there, if there is anything that takes no mechanical skill and/or very little brain power I will volunteer to help.

Chuck

Scott 08-12-2003 06:38 PM

Count the wifey and I in. Putting the event out so far on the calendar that we will be able to plan vacation around it.

Thanks!

Junk Man 08-13-2003 07:59 AM

Jim,

September sounds fine, and Wichita seems like a centeral location. I'll sure try to make it. Hopefully I'll have a class 8 by then.

I'm still gonna try to make it down to Angastora before you leave.

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog

geof 08-13-2003 09:12 AM

Jeff-any pix of your 'MOG...gas or dieseel?.... LMK geof

Jim Gehlen 08-13-2003 09:46 AM

Folks, I would like to have your e-mail addresses as it would be easier for me to keep in touch with you vs. making a new post. My e-mail is posted in the original posting for the "RALLY".

geof 08-13-2003 08:57 PM

Jim....webtv puked when I tried your aol addy.....so...KAYE-RIVERCITY@webtv.net.....geof-near Cincinnati

Junk Man 08-14-2003 06:53 AM

Geof,

It's a diesel. Here's a link with couple of pics of it:
https://rap.midco.net/grissop/Unimog/unimog.html

Jeff in South Dakota
1995 Ford F-250 4X4 PSD
1992 Skamper Slide in camper
1984 Holiday Rambler 5er
1979 Mercedes Benz Unimog

geof 08-14-2003 08:00 AM

Nice 'MOG Pix Jeff!....I'm jealous!....I have no room for one now as I sold my warehouse in Fairfield Ohio this past month.....geof-near Cincinnati

Warpath 08-15-2003 09:58 AM

Jim -

This sure sounds like a cool rally to attend. As you may or maynot know iRV2 of which I am the owner of is having the 2004 National Rally in San Antonio in late June. This will be a haul for me and since we will be further west than I have been to date in the RV we may try to hit some sites out that way making this (hopefully) our first 2 week family vacation. So KS maybe streatch for me, but I won't rule it out. Keep me posted on dates & location and I will see how things play out.

browell@truckconversion.net

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com

Jim Gehlen 10-11-2003 07:25 PM

I received the following from Kenny Doonan and about the only thing he left out was a golf game somewhere. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

As much time as you have spent here, you might give me an idea of what you would like to see as a group in Wichita, I think that an afternoon could be spent @ the Cosmophere in Hutchinson. What about a aircraft plant tour?, the Air Force base tour? ( we have KC135's) a fishing trip? What else is of interest??? Kenny

I have contacted Blasi Campground in Wichita, Kansas concerning the planned Rally there in September of 04. Dates for which I've taken the liberty of establishing are September 14 to Sept 21 of 2004. Trying to set up an event this far in the future and so far away created many conflicts with timing and the above mentioned dates seemed to fit all needs and schedules.

All reservations for a site should be made to Mary at Blasi Campground, Wichita, KS at 1.316-722-2481. When you call, refer to the MDT Rally and mention my name so she will know what you are talking about. I would rather have you make your own reservations as I am not is a postion to handle advance funds.

All sites are pull-thrus, 40X50, full hookups 30/50 amp service.

Daily rates will be offered at Good Sam rates

Weekly rates are based on length of the rig.
26' - 30' = $105.00
31' - 35' = $112.00
36' - 40' = $119.00

Parking the trucks will not be a problem.

Phone service is available through the local phone company and is not feasible for the short term.

Any questions, please e-mail me

Jim Gehlen

I have also set up the folks that e-mailed me their address as BCC. You should get that on Friday afternoon about the same time as this is posted.

dirt 11-02-2003 07:01 AM

hey iam in from cheyenne wy
9200 international M11 cummins 10 speed custom b&w 20 foot bed with 36 ft triple glide hitchiker haul jeep and toys on bed...