Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 07-10-2006, 05:01 PM   #1

This picture here shows only the tractor portion but it shows how small the space is between the firewall where the shift lever is and the steering wheel and seat.

It would appear that you would have to have the dexterity of an octopus to be able to slide your legs downwards into the driving position.

It could be done, you would just have to sort of slide your way down and in. If you have a tall cockpit, and you enter the area in a standing position, getting into the drivers seat would be easier than a low roof where you would have to crawl or slide your way in.

Muddy boots would make a mess...

I guess you could always use the drivers door and then enter the side door of the cabin.

Keep in mind, if the steering wheel is tilted all the way back, you could pick up a few inches of space when you push it forward...or if the front seat is pushed back...

I still like the idea of the cabover though. Seeems to create more space in the cabin.

Anyone want to comment? Free, no charge.

"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:58 PM   #2

if your name is Gumby it would be a great truck

Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 PM   #3

I think Gumby might have a difficult time getting into the driving seat due to his unusually large feet.

Imagine Gumby trying to shove his big green feet between the firewall, the dashboard, the seat... the motor would be idling and Gumby's big green feet would be pushing switches and buttons and things...and Pokey would be telling him to be careful...

If Pokey were to drive, his legs would slide in easier due to their smaller cylinder shape. Pokey could drive and Gumby could ride in the cabin area seated at the couch, diner or maybe in the overhead bunk watching TV???

They would be eating and driving and talking about where there were going to go and what they were going to do...

Gumby would be wanting to take risks and chances and Pokey would be very conservative and cautious...

The best floor plan would be for them would be to halve the front half with the seating, diner, kitchen, shower and then the back 1/3 could be for Pokeys stable area, where Pokey would go and act like a horse at bedtime.

Sounds like a nice time. Traveling with two cartoon characters.
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 01:29 PM   #4

Those things do look kind of cool though cabovers seem to be very out of style in the US market at the moment. The con's remain cab access, servicing, cab height among others. I would think a significant advantage in use in the RV world would be the manueverability in tight spots. Of course if you use a cabover you are really constructing sort of a midship powered bus with a detached cab of sorts. I think a cummins powered crown bus would be an easier starting point.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #5

As long as our length laws are what they are (and I'm sure will be for quite some time) cabovers will remain "out of style" (as you put it) for just as long, thankfully. Their abbreviated length is their ONLY advantage, as the disadvantages FAR outweigh it.
Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote