Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #1

Just got back from a visit to the Show Hauler factory and got a opportunity to check out the 2005 M2, Columbia and Volvo day cabs.

I have seen some posts where people had mentioned that there was more drivers leg room in Columbia or Volvo over the M2. And at least for the 2005 M2 model year I don't think that holds true. I spent about 10 minutes in each and felt that all 3 where very very close. The Columbia & M2 both had Talladega seats (which are more compact than a higher end seat) and the M2 actually had just a tad more leg room than the Columbia. The Volvo had a higher end seat and it seemed to be about the same as the M2. I did try to get the seat heights adjusted to about the same on all 3 when I was looking at this. I did not look at the passenger side, but pretty much can say that the M2 as the least out of the 3.

The Columbia's dash and overall ergonomics was the best over the 3. M2 came in 2nd and Volvo's dash just seemed to low for my liking, I am sure I could get use to over time, but it was just plan easier to view the gages on the Columbia and M2.

I did notice that the M2 was the most solid feeling when it came to closing the drivers door and interior noise, Columbia second, Volvo last. The Volvo has such a high end look, but the door and cab seem tinny like my old 1995 FLD, door shut kinda clunky. Maybe that is for all of those "Loud Pipes Saves Lives" guys. Nothing that a little insulation couldn't fix.

I will say that I would hate to own a day cab if I where over 6' with long legs. I am just under 6' with longer legs and my pedal leg was bent just a little, any more than that and it could get uncomfortable on long runs. My FLD had the integrated cab which was cut down, but left 18" behind the seat. I ran my seat very low (just like the bull haulers ) and was able to set the seat back to stretch out the throttle pedal leg every so often.

I did not drive all three so I am not comparing them based on that, and obviously power is going to be much better on the Volvo & Columbia over the M2. But as far as the interior goes on day cabs, the M2 is not bad choice.

Bill

Old 05-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #2

Bill,
I had the same complaint about the Volvo doors and happened to be reveiwing the Volvo owners manual (linked to on your site) when I noted a section on closing the door... I thought how stupid can you get... everyone knows how to shut a door...WRONG... if you put your hand right above the handle and push it shut firmly it sounds like a safe closing.. chuchunk....VERY solid....hand anywhere else and it sounds like a tin can being kicked down the street... Just one of the thousands of tidbits of knowledge obtained through your site..
thanks,
John

5erFool (John) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #3

To change the subject a little, any opinions of truck seats. I am looking at ISRI 6500 to replace the standard cab seat.
DKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 PM   #4

....you ought to ride in the standard seats for awhile before you start trading up.....National is the largest seat builder in the OEM market/business, I believe now, and they spend a lot of time makein' a seat for road drivers.....I can't stand leather or vinal because I break out in a diaper rash on my butt and back by day two if it's kinda warm weather....So I am stuck with cloth-but once I got used to the seat I wouldn't trade it for one of the "fatboy seats" a lot of guys are raving about.....as far as the adjustability issue, if another person was driving- I'd get a very adjustable seat....but I'm the only one who drives my Volvo....so once it is adjusted-It's set for life......just like my posterior-it's done set for life....geofkaye