Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
cjc

The subject is the question I'm asking. I've had a Show Hauler garage conversion for 4 years and 70,000 miles and I can fill a book with my experiences. I'm just wondering if others here have had their rigs for a number of years, what they have and if they would do it again with the same manufacturer.

cjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #2

we have had our kingsley since december 2003. we now have nearly 60,000 miles on it. we would not change a thing from the way it now is, which is nearly the way we started with it. it's been to ca. twice fl. a bunch, alaska once new england several times. all in all we would do it again the same way------ mase

vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:00 AM   #3

We are into our second Showhauler and are in the process of designing our 3rd. This one is going on 2.2 years old and after nearly 80,000 miles we have decided that we want something a little more suited to 2 adults and 1 child, instead on one suited for 3 adults and 2 children. Our decision to stay with Showhauler is becouse of the treatment they have shown us over the last 5 years. Our issues have been relatively few and minor. As our business changes and we are no longer using the coach for work, we are going for more creature comforts. I like the changes in what Showhauler is making, ie. larger household appliances (Geof would be happy), Flush floor slideouts and taller slideouts to name a few. I have a friend that bought a new American Heritage motorhome and he has had the use of it for 3 months out of the 7 he has owned it. Another friend has a new Damon Tuscany and he has put more miles on it going to and from the repair facility than he has in using it for enjoyment. We have owned a Monaco back in 99 and I would not go back to that style again. I am a trucker at heart and just love the way my Show Hauler drives and handles. I will probably keep the sleeper on the next unit as we did with this one but will make that area a dining area with a group of captains chairs on swivels instead of the sofas. I will probably start the build in late fall or early winter. We still have not finalized our floor plan as of yet. It will no doubt go thru many changes before we are done.

Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:00 AM   #4

We went from a Four Winds 31P to the United Specialties we have now. We only have 15,000 miles on it, have gone to Iowa and back and up and down the east coast. The long trip is coming. That pesky work thing keeps getting in the way. I would go with them again in a heartbeat, my only two issues have been the sscrews that hold the shade in came out on two shades, not a big deal, 5 minutes later I fixed it and the removable arm on the sofa broke. They sent me a nw one two days later. No charge, the factory which we were passing at the time) was closed for vacation otherwise they would have let me stop and fixed it there, they have been proffesional and very helpful along with the dealer I went through.

Some changes I would make:

1) Bigger shower, I fit, but the wife seems to feel the need to shave her legs in there and it's hard for her.

2)Bigger stove cut out and bigger fridge. Last but not least one pass through storage in the rear, that would be nice!!! One really deep storage.

Things we love:

1) The handling and power, I used to run the road for a local nursery and love the truck feel and when the winds blow there is no funky swaying.

2) The space is great.

3) The outside grill and fridge are awesome on the hot nights when cooking inside would suck and what a great social event!

So the answer is yes I would go back to them in a heartbeat. I would prpbably do more custom this time, rather then standard.
Camping Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM   #5

Quote:
I will probably keep the sleeper on the next unit as we did with this one but will make that area a dining area with a group of captains chairs on swivels instead of the sofas.
Wick,

Will you be using chairs similar to the front seat versions so there'd be 3 on each side or a different kind of seat...?

Camping Dutchman,

Is it possible to have a pass through storage and where could it be located, forward or aft of rear axles...?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #6

....Wick...when you get ready to trade up/get close/whatever your plans are- let me know....1.888.513.5293...anytime...will call you back/asap ....real busy now- The Rally in Perry Georgia-Mid America Truck Show in Louisville Ky. and Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot at Ft Knox in mid April....so after April 15 I will have some time to get serious.......we are adding Spray Polyisocyanate Foam insulation and spray Scorpion liners/coating to my business interests.....geofkaye
geofkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:27 AM   #7

I have had a real rough past 8 months....
Plans and desires have really changed. We have spent the last 8 months chained to the house taking care of my wifes mother and father. Both became ill with Alzhiemer's and required all of our atention. They have now both passed. So we now can turn our attention back to enjoying some traveling. To answer the camping Dutchman - We thought that we would provide a table in the center with some captains chairs on swivels around it.

Geof, I'll give you a call a little later...
Thanks,
Wick

Wick is offline   Reply With Quote