Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #1

First hi to everyone.

I've been looking for a truck board for some time. It's nice to me among you.

I've owned most types of RVs and participated in four bus conversions from start to completion. During the past 28 years I've gone all the way from knowing nothing to knowing a little. I've been on the edge of committing to a truck conversion for 2 to 3 years only to back off at the last moment. My latest idea, and reason for writing, is to get some feed back on yet another different approach to our crazy lifestyles, and one I'm likeing more with each passing week.

Has anyone ever seen or participated on a project which was or is a 5er unit built on a "straight rail container dolly/frame"? As the final attachment with U clamps is simplar to truck conversion attachment, so to would be a lot of the construction methods and designs. Right down to the below floor storage and sub systems. Similarly, it can be built on the ground and lifted onto the dolly/frame.

I've spend the time and done the numbers. Many design,material and safety considerations are important, none more so than the basic suspension system itself. Too hard and the inside contents become expensive landfill. I believe airbags and a good size check would be the solution. A class 8 tote could be purchased to match the over all weight and legnth.

I tend to travel somewhere and stay for weeks to months to a year or so at a time. While it's nice to be able to just up and drive to the coast for an overnighter or into the mountains for a week end, and the desert for a few days --- I'm not doing that as much as I used to. Seems 5er a better fit.

What say yee of the gallery?

Jones

Nothinglikeadrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 12:33 PM   #2

Seems like there would be better things to build on like a stepped deck flat or electronics of moving van.