Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM   #1

I have been on the list a couple years now. I haven't bought anything as yet, the Navy keeps me too busy. I also keep flip flopping between a truck and a bus. I have been watching a Crown HiPo I really like which is a little of both if you know how crowns are put together. It is everything a truck conversion would be except where the engine is installed. The wife unit keeps the brakes on so I haven't moved on it yet. The owner is pretty patient. The truck bit of this is I really like older conventionals. My wife doesn't like the refrigerator on a truck look of some of the rv boxes but doesn't mind ones that have shape and look modern one.
1. What does a box cost if I provide the tractor. I know there are widely ranging prices. Say 28 foot average. I am interested in more of a range then a specific number.
2. Has anyone done something like a furniture van trailer conversion with success. I see the problem with them being height more then anything. They don't fit many places all that well.
3. Any reason a truck is better then the Crown I like? For reference - Cummins BC 400, RTO-913, dual drive SLHD axles 4.10 ratio. It is all set up but needs an interior update. 30k is what he wants for it. I have pictures if anyone wants to see it.
I am interested in an ongoing discussion to sort this out for myself.
Kevin

Old 11-05-2005, 10:58 PM   #2

.....I kinda like the retros myself....some of them....but they are few and far between....send me some pix.....I might be able to help with suppliers and HVAC issues....have your wife join in with ideas....some ideas are easier than you suspect....like a working fireplace or a wood or pellet stove these days ....HVAC issues are common place to me and easily solvable......geofkaye KAYERIVERCITY@cinci.rr.com

Old 11-06-2005, 05:34 PM   #3

My wifes big issue is money of course, secondly she doesn't like the idea of yet another thing with an engine. She should have known better marrying a motorhead like me. Weather it is bus or truck or ? We need a trailer too. She also has a worry that she will be towing something the next time I PCS.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:05 AM   #4

Kevin, I am doing a furniture trailer van conversion right now. Matter of fact, I am going to do a shakedown run with it to the Harley races in Vegas this weekend and then afterward stay there for a week at a nice RV resort. Overall height is 13' 6". I won't be going to out of the way places with this thing, mainly staying at truck stops on the road and at the race track. Occasionally stop over at an RV park.

Geoff, I may need some help with HVAC in this thing. I have one of those furnaces from a wrecked RV, but I don't think it will do the job.

Mike

Will let you know how things go and it it was a success or not.
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #5

How much does the typical frame stretch cost?
Old 11-10-2005, 06:09 PM   #6

My last frame strech was a little over $6000.00
First one was $4500.00. So some where in between.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 PM   #7

Wick - How much was your box if I might ask? That looks pretty nice. Does anyone have a range of what an unfinished box might go for? Does Wildside/Showhauler et al offer partially completed setups? I don't have 60-100k available to buy something like this.
Kevin