Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #1

When I get my truck, it's going to have to be registered commercially. It will be used to tow my race trailer, and I race for money and I also have sponsors. Everything is owned by my business and it is not for hire. I am trying to do everything "by the book", but have found it difficult to get information that applies to me. And you RV guys think you have it rough!!

I understand the different weight class plates, but could somebody explain what apportioned plates are and how do I know if I need them or not? I know that I will need a CDL and also have to follow some (all?) DOT regs. What if any are the differences between what I must follow vs. a for hire common carrier?

I am sure the ensuing discussion will lead to some follow up questions, but it's a starting point. Also, any tips on where to find the info that applies to me will be most welcome. TIA.

Dan

Dano959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 04:58 PM   #2

I found some good information on the Texas DOT site - but I can't cut/paste to this reply window. Not only can you have Apportioned plates for your tractor, you can have Token plates for your commercial trailer. The bottom line on the Texas Web site was for those interested to call the Texas DOT 800 number and get the facts. You might do the same in your state and obtain the correct information the first time.

Sorry I don't have all the info for you.

don

Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 10:30 AM   #3

Dan - because it's an RV it's still exempt - business owned, commercially used etc... It's an RV no matter what you do with it. Now your trailer may put you into the weigh stations, I think if you're using an RV in commercial application you still have to do the logbook etc... But that's a pretty gray area right now. Anyway, when I checked with Georgia DMV our company owned RV is still an RV and is titled and tagged as such. Kind of along the lines of a salesmans' company owned car or a company owned SUV. Now, the Semi trucks that don't have a box on the back hauling a race trailer might have a much harder time convincing the powers that be that they are not really a commercial hauler if they are used in commerce of any sort.

I'm more legal now with the Showhauler and a 24' trailer than I was in my FL60 and a 48' trailer with living quarters.

Sean P. Clarke
WERA Motorcycle Roadracing
WERA is offline   Reply With Quote