Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #1

Why did you sell your rig?

Getting a new one I hope...?!

Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #2

"Why did you sell your rig?" I don't tow a trailer anymore.

"Getting a new one I hope...?!" Nope not anytime soon. Bought a pusher and love the thing. Super quiet with the motor out back, the quality is second to none, the ride is silky smooth, the 400 cummins climbs the mountains like a billy goat, the 2 stage jake will take you down any hill without any braking assistance. Turns on a dime compared to my conversions, love my king size select comfort bed, even have a lounge chair in the bedroom, the bathroom has tons of room to take care of business, big bay windows to allow in lots of light, every electronic gadget and system control you could think of and the storage is out of this world.

I could easily list over 100 pluses and the only drawbacks are that it doesn't look quite as cool (all though I have had a ton of truckers give me the thumbs up) and it doesn't handle the wind as well.

Don't get me wrong it wasn't cheap, probably 50% more than the most decked out Show Hauler, Renegade, ect..

But it was worth it!

Old 11-22-2006, 05:13 PM   #3

What kind did you get? Pushers look sweet, but not me deal until I am at least 65.

If you are in the upper end of Pushers then they are built just as good as a truck conversion, and alot more toys...but like you said, I could buy a showhauler and a half for your pusher. haha
Matt295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #4

Open questions:

1. Are turning radiuses shorter or longer in regards to a Truck Conversion vs Diesel pusher if the machines are the same length and year?

2. Why can't a Truck Conversion offer the same luxuries or features as a diesel pusher? I can understand the motor in front takes up space vs motor in rear which gives more usable space...but what about the other variables?
"I have marveled often at the thin line that divides success from failure and the sudden turn that leads from apparently certain disaster to comparative safety." Ernest Shackleton, Antarctic Explorer, Sea and Land, 1874-1922.
BravestDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:14 PM   #5

Sorry guys for the delay in getting back, but life is so insane right now.

Anyway, I got a Winnebago Vectra 40' KD, optioned out.

Turning radius is far Superior due to the fact that the front axles is actually behind the driver. It crazy to backup a conversion for all those years and than one of these. Totally different turning points.

As far as space, the motor in the rear is very low in the chassis and it is under the rear closet. No drive shaft down the center so far more storage. And since the captains chairs rotate and they are apart of the main salon they can be apart of the actual living space. And Winnie with all of their years of experience get the idea of maximizing absolutely every ounce of space. As far as luxuries you really need to live in a conversion for a while and than do it in a high end pusher. Now I will say I just saw Pony Express's new Columbia conversion and I must say it has to be the nicest conversion I have seen so far. They must have really took there time and did their homework. It truly was awesome, the exterior seamlessly flowed from cab to box (it actually looked like one piece) all fiberglass, great paint job, interior was top of the line and was very close to a high pusher. Not sure why they don't have it up on their site yet.

Bill
Old 12-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #6

I thought I knew all of the companies that made conversions, as well as most RV manufacturers, but who is Pony Express? What is their web address?

Thanks,

Photoguy
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by photoguy:
I thought I knew all of the companies that made conversions, as well as most RV manufacturers, but who is Pony Express? What is their web address?

Thanks,

Photoguy
I was intrigued by Warpath's posting too. Here's what I was able to find after lots of searching.
PonyXpress

As Warpath said, the Columbia conversion that he saw is not posted on this site.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:12 PM   #8

Here are some pictures and info on the Pony Xpress rig that Warpath mentioned earlier:

Pony Xpress Silver Crown
Old 01-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #9

Interesting! Pony Xpress is now owned by Supreme, truck body builder extraordinaire. I noticed the one major change is going from the Ford Super Duty truck to the Chevy medium. Probably politics or economics, but whatever. They have all grown in size with the truck change. Nice units!

Gary Atsma is offline   Reply With Quote