Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #21

No plans for the garage it was just a good price and we figured we can keep the dogs back there along with any other storage items. We do not have any kids yet so the small bedroom will be fine since its just us !

gate9869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gate9869 View Post
Thanks for all the info its very helpful !! Yes this is my first motorhome. I have a few friends with them but I have never owned a camper or motorhome. I actually don't even know what the different color tanks are for haha im guessing the black is to hold waste, grey to hold all other water ie: shower and sinks?? And obviously fresh water is what I fill up before we go !
ours is our 1st too - so youre not alone.
go big or go home i guess

youve got the tanks correct, and the dump valves on the ROAD side (aka drivers side) should be labeled - gray is sink & shower drain water (soapy water basically unless someone is peeing in the shower...and they shouldn't...you might pick up some light food grease or food bits in the "gray" water too but you should try to minimize that stuff going down the drains).

black water is what goes down the toilet.

your fresh water tank is probably under the bed - no need to keep it full & carry all that weight unless youre dry camping....which is a general ref to no power/water or sewer connection availability.

you only need to run the water pump when there is no external or city water supply (garden hose connection).

Quote:

The tire system does sound great... where is the best place to buy one ?
best price i found for the TST system was direct - i think camping world sells it now too but its the same price - theres a couple of choices for transmitters - ones inside the wheel, and a couple that screw onto the valve stem.

ive got the transmitters that screw on the valve stem - and i bought the units that have a user-replaceable battery, the batteries last about a year (and i can buy replacement batteries for less than 1 dollar each)

TST has transmitters that have a non-user replaceable battery (they claim 5 year life) & those will have to be returned to TST for battery replacement (along w/ a charged fee).

they also now have a new transmitter that permits pass thru filling of the tire...no need to remove the transmitter if the tire needs air...seems more desirable but i swear not that i have the things i might put air in the tires once a year....and theres no need to check the tire pressure (just turn on the display).

Quote:

Is it possible to run the ac while driving ? Also how often do you charge batteries ? After every trip ?
you can run the HOUSE a/c while driving (we often have to, living in texas & summer heat etc) - the roof A/C units run on 110 ac current - so you either have to have the generator running (going down the road) or be connected to shore power.

there are TWO sets of batteries - engine/starting batteries & house batteries.

the house batteries get charged 1 of a couple ways.
by the generator (when its running) or by a converter/charger (when connected to shore ac current).

the converter charger supplies 12v power to your HOUSE lighting & other house 12v sources (fridge, heater, water pump, etc) when youre connected to shore power.

the converter/charger also converts 110 ac current to 12v and charges the batteries - some converter/CHARGERS are better than others (some are simple trickle chargers, than can boil a battery dry, others have built-in battery maintainers).

when our coach is parked in our storage bay, i disconnect ALL the batts from the coach & engine (via a switch) and i charge them with a battery tender or battery minder - intelligent chargers (like the once mentioned) will keep the batteries fresh and ready w/out shortening their life (like a trickle charger will do).

Quote:

Are there any must haves that I should put in the motorhome ?
water hoses, water filters (both for city water supply when youre at campgrounds or need to fill your fresh water tank.
tools, a multimeter, duck tape, flash lights, black water tank deodorizer, pots pans etc.

also some disposable gloves (for use when dumping the black and gray tanks)
i also have some thick rubber gloves for this now too.

extension cords & 50amp adapters (coach probably has a 50a plug but you may find that campgrounds only have 30a...or 15a....and youll need adapters to get you from 50a to what ever is available.

see camping world etc for this stuff.

Quote:

We are taking our first trip this weekend to Nashville !

I will be using this for camping and towing our boat ( only 7500 pounds) So I don't think it will be struggling that much haha we originally were looking at a class a diesel but after a lot of research we decided the trucks were a better bet for safety, longevity, repairs, and some other stuff.

I just have to figure out how to fill this thing up and make right turns I should be good haha thanks for all the advice !
youll have a blast.

swing wide on the right turns....personally i prefer LEFT turns....and when you can make your left turns from the outside (not the inside) lane...itll give you more room.

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:08 AM   #23

I would not drive without my tpms sensors. My tri axle trailer was prone to tire failures (at least until an upgrade to 17.5" wheels/tires cured that) and on a triaxle trailer you can't even feel a flat tire unless you literally hear it blow or see something flapping in the mirror, and that certainly is true of anything towed behind a TC. I figure my tpms system has paid for itself in saving tires, for example you pick up a nail or something and develop a slow leak, the monitor lets you know so you can pull over and save the tire before it goes completely flat or blows out. And that is not even considering how much damage a blown tire can cause to the motorhome itself. And when you have advance notice it gives you some time to pull off the highway to a safe place while the tire still has some air. That said, it can't prevent a tire that blows completely out of the blue, but that is really rare, normally a tire is going down and gets way too hot from running with low pressure, and then blows.

The whole deal is just great peace of mind, plus saves me a bunch of time pre trip because I was always one to check every tire before every trip.

I have the TST system, the older version with the non-replaceable batteries. Today I would buy the system with the replaceable batteries instead as I have had to send a number of sensors back over the years that quit. They charge you $20 for "batteries and seals" (including labor and shipping) to repair and return a sensor, but in my experience they have never actually done that, they just send you a new one.

Well worth the investment, as I mentioned you can pay for the system with one or two saved/repairable tires that would have blown out otherwise.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM   #24

Talking about the batteries. I have three batteries that start the truck motor and generator motor. Then I have two deep cycle 12volt batteries that power everything in the house. Mine has a large round switch in the storage area where the house batteries are. I can set it so those 2 batteries power the house. Or I can turn it to use the three truck batteries to power the house. Or I can set it to use all 5 batteries at once. Now, when I'm plugged in to shore power and set that switch for both sets (all 5) my converter/charger will charge all 5 batteries. At least that's what I thought when I bought it. But I used a volt meter checking the batteries I found different voltage on the truck batteries vs. the house batteries. I contacted United Specialties (they were still in business) and learned they wired that jumper lead from the big switch through a dash switch and then to the truck batteries. So, as long as I have that dash switch turned on it'll charge those 3 truck batteries. Great. I have never shut that switch off since then.

Now. What I like to do is keep all 5 batts tied together when I'm plugged in in my storage condo. My converter/charger is a Iota with smart logic that won't overcharge and keeps everything just right. Then, when I pull out and go on the road I switch that big round switch to only the house batteries. That way I'm using those 2 batteries to make them work a bit. If I plug in somewhere I switch the breaker off that powers the Iota (it's much easier for me to switch off that breaker from inside the coach than to go into the storage compartment and unplug it. I can also easily switch it back on when those house batts need a charge). That way I give those house batts some good exercise. I usually keep those truck batteries out of the loop when camping and running down the road. They get good exercise on their own that way. You might have one of those large round switches like mine. If you do set it to connect both sets and then check each battery bank with a volt meter to make sure you don't have some other switch in there like I did.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #25

Awesome thanks so much for all the advice. This is definitely helpful I would not of thought of most of this. The tire system sounds like a must !
Old 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #26

Tire Pressure Monitoring System FOR CAR Truck OR RV TPMS 6 Sensors | eBay

is that what I need ?
Old 08-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #27

Tire Pressure AND Temperature Monitoring Systems 6 Flow Through Sensors TPMS | eBay

or this one ?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #28

I have these:
Home - Truck System Technologies, Inc
buying them direct is about the same price as from a dealer, so I'd buy direct. Also, I carry a spare sensor or two so if I'm on the road and one acts up I can change it out right away and keep rolling, and send the bad one back at my leisure. Generally pretty reliable, but I had some of the earlier versions that went bad (that they replaced under warranty, no questions asked), the new versions seem better. Overall happy with the brand.

They will tell you you need the signal booster for longer units, but I have not needed it. No problem picking up the sensors on a 40' trailer with just the unit hanging on the dash.
hot rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Hi,
I am looking at purchasing a Legend conversion garage unit motorhome with a MB motor. I have searched the web looking for information on these units but I can not seem to find many. I found this website for the dealer :

Becks Custom Coach & Trailer

The seller said its the same as united specialties. Can anyone confirm this or help with any info as to the quality of this conversion. It looks really nice but I would like some info. Thanks !!
Nice looking rig, congratulations on the purchase. I found several other Legend conversions online and they look very similar to my United Specialties. I know a dealer that sold United's and rebranded with their name (Swan Creek) so maybe that was the case with Legend.

I've been very happy with the build quality of mine so far and feel it's a well engineered conversion. I have several friends that own them as well and they've had good luck also. These trucks drive great and everything works like it should. My wife and I don't miss our previous motorhome and are happy we made the move to a conversion.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you've had a chance to use it. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Side view.jpg  

Frontrunner is offline   Reply With Quote