Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-22-2005, 01:37 PM   #1

Hello All,
I have been looking at a lot of conversions on this site and others at the siding. I think I want the smooth aluminum siding. I understand it will be applied with a double stick tape. What I need to know is what do you do at the seams where the pieces meet. Do they over lap? Or do they have to have another piece over the seam? I think You now for any help!!!!

Brother Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 PM   #2

Brother Smith -
When using the double sided 3M tape (VHB), the most common method of attachment is overlapping an inch. One very, very important word of note here: in order for everything to work out right, put your wall studs on 16 inch centers, and be SURE that when you order the aluminum, that you specify 49" width instead of the normal 48"!! If you don't, you will eventually have a seam with no stud to "back it up". I used the 48", and it meant that I had to add some wall studs to have a solid foundation to attach the sheets to. The 49" is available in white and other colors from a bunch of sources.

Travis

Travis Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 09:27 PM   #3

Thanks Travis,
I know some of the aluminum I searched for said it all had raw edges. So when You overlap it 1" do You put the VHB tape under the top panel at the over lap or use a type of corking?

Brother Smith
Old 11-22-2005, 10:18 PM   #4

.....three thoughts here- two layers of tape, one on the frame and one between the sheets..... or cut line on one half of the tape and over lap stuck to the other side of the same piece of tape....Tricky- but possible.....or two layers of tape side by side.....I'd use two strips of tape one between the other for no screw applications ......but then again I have tape and screws.....cost me $160.00 more to have it done my way but they make them like I pay them for-make sure the paint is off where the tape is on the frame or it will fail if the bond is not good....I masked the outside before painting with 2 inch masking tape-stripped if off-cleaned the surface off after painting with laqcquer thinner and attached the tape.....very carefully.....tape is not cheap and it sticks to everything including to my face when the wind blew....SOB!....geofkaye
Old 11-23-2005, 02:30 PM   #5

I am building my conversion. I used a poly. adhesive called Sikaflex. So far it has been easy to use,it is flexable and allows a little more room for positioning. I would be glad to share more if anyone is interested.
Thanks, Randy
2kidsracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #6

I put a strip of tape on all of the wall studs, and when I started a new sheet, I put a strip on the edge of the previous sheet, overlapped an inch (which just happened to be the exact width of the 3M tape). One other note: start at the back and work forward. This will keep the seams facing the rear of the coach, so that the overlapped seam won't be subjected to rain or wind as you drive down the road.

Travis
Travis Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #7

What can I say!! I thank You all for Your responce.I have a lot better understanding of the process now. The few companys I have looked at on the web listed the aluminum in 48" width. I guess there is some that offer it in other widths. I will keep looking. I have plenty of time as I am in the early planning right now. I know it will be a rather large project HA-- and everything needs to be worked out on paper before anything will happen!!!!
Brother Smith