Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 12-04-2004, 03:39 PM   #1

The layout that I would like to have would have two 8' slideouts opposite each other immediately behind the cab. One would have the sofa/end tables, the other the dinette or booth eating area. There would still be room for a full kitchen and frig. behind the entry area. I'm being told by NRC and Showhauler that it wouldn't be wise to do this, because it puts too much stress (?) on the frame. My question would be if diesel pushers can do this, why can't a Class 8 motorhome? The frame of a Class 8 motorhome is much more solid than just about any frame on a diesel pusher that I have seen. The reason I'm looking a face to face slideouts is that is makes more sense for the living area and it also gives you a more acceptable location to put your TV (flat screen over the dining table) Any input would be appreciated.

photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:52 PM   #2

"My question would be if diesel pushers can do this, why can't a Class 8 motorhome?"

Opposing slides on diesel pushers have been in the market place for how long? One year possibly two years. What are some of these motorhomes going to be like in say 5 years? Just because it is being done by RV manufacturers doesn't always mean that there can't be problems. For years there have been examples of various companies producing units that are overloaded from the factory.

Showhauler and NRC have both built a fair number of truck conversions. Many with slides. There is something that makes them not want to build this kind of floorplan.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:10 PM   #3

I believe the "too much stress on the frame" that they are referring to is due to lack of lateral strength in both the truck frame and the conversion frame. Truck frames have a great deal of lineal strength but lack in lateral strength. Diesel pushers are able to do it because of the way their basements are constructed. If you look at a diesel pusher's frame/basement assembly you can see what I'm talking about. They are built very similiar to how a unibody car is constructed. Most conversions are constructed without a very stout basement so the opposing slides would load the basement beyond it's lateral limits. I do believe Kingsley offers opposing sildes.

The new truck I am building for myself will have opposing slides for many of the very same reasons as photoguy states. I want the big open feeling. Mine is also going to be on a KW T2000 condo truck so the whole front will be open. In order to do this the basement as well as the roof will be reinforced a little more. One of the downsides to opposing slides is that the walkway will be narrower than on a single wall slide unit. This is something I am willing to sacrafice.

Randy
butlermotorcoaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #4

Yes, Kingsley does offer opposing slides. There is one customer that has had his coach for just over 5 years and he has oppossing slides in the front living area. When they are open he is 15' across. I was in his coach last week and it definitely gives you that wide open feel. He has had no problems with structure but then again the basements that Kingsley builds are VERY strong and built like a bridge truss out of steel. Another one of their coaches I was in had oppossing slides in the rear for bunks in each...that is what I will be doing in my next one. I am sure there are more out there but those are the two I have seen, been in and got the chance to talk to the owners of.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:17 AM   #5

thoughts on opposing slides-- if the depth of the slides is taken into consideration then couldn't the aisle be at a reasonable width? on my coach the depth of my slide out was 22". that gave me a fairly open floor even when the slide was in. --- mase
vapoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:23 AM   #6

Checkout the double slides on this unit!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=63738

Mike
Oakland Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:34 PM   #7

There is a company called Trailer Technologies that builds similar units. I have seen one of their units. They say on their web site that they can make opposing slides that are 7 feet deep and 35 feet long per side.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #8

Renegade has a floorplan with three slides, 2 in the living area and 1 in the bedroom. This is a new option so I don't know if they have had any problems. I will show the concerns noted on this post to the Renegade engineer, he may have some input.

Bob Dill
rjdhomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:09 AM   #9

I think the one thing we need to keep an eye on is road stability. While I was at the RVIA show I found myself in a conversation with Detroit Chassis which builds chassis for the pusher market. They where interested in finding out why truck conversions seem to have more stability than a pusher. They are running the same frame rails as a Class 8, but still here about road stability issues. Obviously the big difference is the front end shape, but they are thinking that the above frame structure makes a even bigger difference. With most pushers now having 4 slides the limited above frame structure allows for more flex in the chassis rails enhancing instability. So as converters start to add larger and more slides are we going to see the same drop in stability.

The main reason I went to a conversion was road stability. My 2003 was absolutely incredible in some of the fiercest weather I have ever traveled in. Actually, on one trip back into Ohio from Florida in Feb 03 we ran on road where we saw cars & trucks everywhere but on the road and never once did I feel I should pull over. We actually stopped into a rest area where there where a bunch of Class A's sitting the weather out and I just smiled to myself.

Just hope as the industry evolves they don't ruin the real reason to own a conversion.

Bill
Old 12-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #10

First of all, thanks to you guys that have responded. There is never a day goes by that I don't hook up with this web-page and I have always found it to be one of the most intuitive bunch of people out there. With that said, I feel that beefing up the steel in the undercarriage and on top for the dual slides shouldn't be any more stress on the frame than having a super slide on one side of the vehicle. I think, if anything, that the equal stress going out both sides would be less of a stability problem than a single slide-out, especially a 13 footer. I would think the torque on the frame with a single would be the problem. One of the things that has sold me on wanting a class 8 is the stability. The difference between a class 8 and a DP is considerable in many catagories, but especially stability.
By the way, Warpath, your M2 is going to be the "berries" That is one fine looking rig. Keep us up on how things are going.
Again, thanks to all for your input.

Steve
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:13 PM   #11

I have seen a 30 ft. that drag racers had. It had a 13 ft. slide out on the roadside and a 7 ft. slide on the curbside. I'm not sure of the manfacture.
I would like to see sales figures, if sales of truck conversions reach different groups than is the current buyers, the manufactures may be approached with several of the things currently seen in DP's.
I have a question as to the difference in hydraulic and electric driven slideouts, does one have an advantage over the other?
DKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 09:08 PM   #12

...military has a few of these as I recall....I think one of them was in our "recycling yard" and got "recycled" last year?.....can't remember exactly....too many vehicles and ya got to chop them up to make more room for more......have to look around next time I'm Ft. Knox-might be more of those around just sitting.....geof