Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community

Truck Conversion & Toterhome Community (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/)
-   Truck Conversion General Discussions (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/)
-   -   24' U-Haul into RV (https://www.truckconversion.net/forums/f104/24-u-haul-into-rv-6101/)

DwayneOlson235 10-05-2011 08:44 PM

24' U-Haul into RV

I am thinking about taking a 24' uhaul (20' inside floor plus 4' overhang) and making it into an RV. Anybody have a possible floor plan to go by? Figure at this point I have to actually purchase one and then see where the water/waste tanks have to be located before I can really plan anything.

Thank you

#90-GTSC 10-05-2011 09:09 PM

Or rent one for a few days.

Doc Weaver 10-06-2011 08:08 AM

If it is an actual "U-Haul", be careful. U-haul usually wears them out hard before they sell them. So have it gone over with a fine tooth comb.

blizzardND 10-06-2011 10:14 AM

Before you spend a dime, go to Racing junk, there is ton's of under $15,000 rigs for sale. You can't buy a wore out truck and parts for what those guys are selling their trucks for.

-blizz

hot rod 10-06-2011 12:17 PM

Those guys are right, most of the U-haul trucks on the road are junk, and the ones they sell off are real bad. Be very careful. Penske is usually better, they are known for better fleet maintenance than uhaul, and they are more likely to be rented to businesses than to everyday dim wit drivers like uhaul.

Good luck!

blizzardND 10-06-2011 01:52 PM

from RJ...

https://s3.racingjunk.com/ui/8/79/233...-undefined.jpg

$12,000 and 75% complete!
No sanding UHaul orange off either! :)

blizz

DwayneOlson235 10-06-2011 03:44 PM

Gas or diesel? How many miles? Engine and transmission condition? What has been done?
What would you say is the mpg?

blizzardND 10-06-2011 05:02 PM

not mine, link...
Toter built to race out of For Sale

-blizz

Bob86ZZ4 10-07-2011 01:57 PM

Dwayne, welcome to TruckConversion.net. Truck conversions are great campers. And there is a wealth of knowledge lurking around here (not on my keyboard though). Take a look at Ran D St. Clair's build posts. And blizzarND made a ton of posts about building his truck (here and over at the Escapee's forum). There's lots of other guys building their own campers too. But, take a hard look at racingjunk and other sites selling them. In today's economy it's much harder to justify building one over buying one.

andyg 10-10-2011 04:05 PM

The guys are correct about U-Haul maintenance but.... I've always thought that the low profile truck and large box were a very good combination for a toy-hauler type RV.

NPR 10-16-2011 05:23 PM

I bought an Isuzu NPR Diesel with a 16' Box to convert into a toy hauler. It got 13 MPH on a trip last weekend and I believe it is going to work out fine on a very basic level. Penske sells these as well as Ryder.

Tom

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=410dec0c42

Doc Weaver 10-16-2011 07:48 PM

I had an NPR. it was a great truck. especially in town. I had issues with it on the highway. The cabover and tall box was like driving a garage door. The trick was to drive 30 - 50 yards behind a tractor trailer. Behind a semi i could go 70mph at half throttle. all by myself I would have to go full throttle to drive 65mph. By the way I got 13mpg drafting and 9mpg all by myself

NPR 10-16-2011 09:08 PM

Having little large vehicle experience other than motorhomes, I thought the ride was acceptable. I drove up to B'Ham from Daytona and back and going up slowly 55-60 I got 12.8 mpg, coming back I got 11-12 mpg. I have a wind deflector and all I am carrying is a motorcycle and camping gear. It's still 5 MPG better than my gas motorhome which had marginal brakes, got 7mpg, blew tires on a regular basis, and couldn't carry my sidecar rig and my solo rigs at the same time. Besides I like driving a truck. Oh, it cost much less to buy the NPR, much less.

Tom

bushpilot 10-16-2011 11:54 PM

55 - 60 ? where the HELL do you do that w/out getting KILLED <or shot> !?!?!

NPR 10-17-2011 07:30 AM

Actually the back roads of Alabama and Georgia. The speed limit is 55. 60 mph, it seems, is a nice leisurely pace. There were not many other vehicles and only got passed a few times.

I find people are a bit more forgiving to trucks. On the interstate I do 65- 68 and to my amazement it doesn't seem to present a problem. I should have a sign on the tailgate that say's, "I'm retired, go around". :p What peeves me is a BMW or other fast car being driven well below the speed limit. :(

I make up for my slow truck with my Ducati Monster.

Tom

Highway OPie 10-17-2011 07:38 AM

No so fast!

In Micigan the speed limit for vehicles weighing over 8 tons is 60 mph on the Interstates. I love it! Nice, slow pace, stay in the right lane, enjoy the scenery, and let all those drivers who "think their time is more important than mine" drive in the left lane as fast as they want. Also, because my camper "looks" like a commercial vehicle, I don't even get any stares or middle fingers as I travel the road. Best fuel milegage too, currently at 11.8.

If I get where I am going today, that's great; if I get there tomorrow, that's great too! Driving is the most fun of all in owning one of these class 8 rigs; why shorten the enjoyment by driving fast?

I like driving 60; its a good idea for just about any reason you can name.