Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 09-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #21

I think i may have confused the discussion - we have a 10kw "portable" northstar (gasoline) that we have/use in case of hurricanes.

Our COACH has an Onan 10kw QD which runs on diesel only.

we run the generator quiet a bit (w/out shore power, its the only way to run our house air conditioners)...several times a year we make 20+ hour "runs" (houston to virginia), if its even remotely hot we run the "house" ac (going down the road).

if we're not connected to shore power and the dog is in the coach - the generator runs

we run the generator to/from camp grounds & while loading the coach w/ gear (when parked in front of the house)....remember we live in texas.

several times a year ill go to motorcycle races (no dog)....when no one is in the coach (hot or not) - we choose not to run the generator...after the races, in the evenings & at night, we run the generator to recover the batteries and run the tv & appliances.

ill get dimensions on our lp tank later today...its roughly the size of one of our 60 gallon fuel tanks and it takes up an entire "basement" bay (on the road/drivers side).

bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #22

Did you ever get dimensions for the LP tank?

jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #23

sorry, no i haven't.
weve been traveling.

just got back from a weekend run up to blacksburg virginia, back home this morning.
ill be back over at the coach to clean it up some tomorrow - ill get some dimensions then.
bushpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #24

LP tanks are pricey. I've not given up on the idea but a 40-gallon gas tank is easy to find and plumb into my existing 6.5KW Honda. The downside to gasoline is storage because it turns into varnish eventually. Anyway, until a cheap propane tank becomes available, this idea goes on the back burner.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #25

JBEECH, I just sent a response to you on another topic but have one regarding the generator as well. My truck was formerly used as a mobile radiology lab and has a 20000 watt Kubota diesel generator. The generator runs in the neighborhood of $10,000 new. As Charley left us without power as well, the generator was one of my reasons for buying this truck. As mentioned on the other page, the rear 1/3 is complete inside with the new Pergo flooring, vinyl ceiling and wall covering, cherry cabinets, and granite counter tops. I have all the cabinets and trim to complete the job but plan to sell as is. A custom shop in Port Charlotte re-up-holstered the Bostrom seats and door panels in two tone leather. 941.426.0493.

1999 Freightliner FL70 Renegade conversion 300 hp Cat Allison 6 speed Kubota 20,000 w
LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #26

Yes, I saw the other response.

Anyway, I tabled the idea of a diesel generator for now. I missed a 6500KW diesel genset on Craig's List recently. Meanwhile, I've found a 40-gallon transfer tank for sale (diamond plate aluminum) and my plan is to just fill it when I arrive where I'm going in order to use the generator. Sunbsequently, I'll transfer remaining gasoline into one of my vehicles upon our return. This way I avoid the whole "old gasoline turning into varnish" experience (this rrather than using gasoline treatment designed for extending the storage life).

Since I don't plan to use the truck for extended camping I believe this will be adequate for my needs. Later, I can always change my mind but since the Honda is in my inventory, what then heck, why spend more money needlessly?
Old 12-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #27

We have the 20 kw Isuzu volcano gen. And run 3 coaches burning about a half gallon of diesel per hour.

Tow mater is offline   Reply With Quote