Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 10-14-2002, 06:14 PM   #1

Well I can officially say the conversion process has begun. It is really exciting to start to see the transformation process.

Before

After

The cab will become a integral part of the motorhome box, so they removed the air suspension system on the cab. This is why it is un level now.

Fom here it is off to the paint shop.

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com

[This message was edited by warpath on October 14, 2002 at 09:24 PM.]

[This message was edited by warpath on October 14, 2002 at 09:25 PM.]

[This message was edited by warpath on November 20, 2002 at 10:16 AM.]

Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 06:43 PM   #2

Hi Warpath,

IM reading your posts right along Bill. I for one really appreciate your detailed information and pictures. I hope you will take a picture of the frame after they stretch it, and before they put anything on it.

Do you know how deep they will overlap the frame sandwich? How many bolts will they put in each overlapped section? How long will the section of frame they install be? How many carrier bearings will they install? I think I exceeded my quota for questions. :-)

onezman

onezman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:05 PM   #3

I posed the question to Lonnie, he will get me answers probably when he takes the truck to the shop.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 completely refurbished chassis. Currently in production - scheduled completion 12/10/02 www.showhauler.com
Old 10-16-2002, 07:30 AM   #4

O.K. got the answers on the stretch. Show Hauler uses BRT or Sellers Mfg depending on the type of stretch required. I spoke to both companies directly for the answers.

For my truck BRT will do the stretch and will require approximately a 10' section added. They will cut the frame in the middle of the present length from the back of the cab to the back end of the frame. The 10' section will be added and welded at the ends.(No overlap, butted end to end) Since road trucks like mine use a slightly thinner walled frame material versus say a box truck, they will run a second channel the complete length of each frame rail. This is bolted at each cross member section and any other through points. In some applications welding will be used, depending on the stretch length, frame rail thickness and the application. Both companies mention that welding versus bolting is far stronger, if done properly. I asked about manufacturers putting the no welding sticker on the frame. If to high a heat is achieved on the steel then it will begin to lose its tensile strength. Basically you need to know what you are doing. (This would also cover a manufaturer against liability if a non professional where to weld on a chassis) As far as carrier bearings go, they both use each chassis manufacturer's specification to determine this, Freightliner recommends every 65".

Both companies have been doing this for along time (40 yrs for Sellers) and have never had a bent or broken frame due to their work.

Bill

[This message was edited by warpath on October 16, 2002 at 10:47 AM.]
Old 10-16-2002, 01:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the update Warpath. Sounds like they know what they are doing. After all that time they have been doing it, I guess they would.

I have converted anther Volvo, not really a conversion at all compared to what you are doing. This converted Volvo is already sold, but the site is below if you care to see/use it.

I have already purchased another Volvo that is identical to the one in the site below. I should have it finished within about 35 days.

There are 21 900 by 600 pictures. If you have a dial up connection, it may take up to 8 minutes to load.

http://onezman.tripod.com/igotyourrvhaulerrighthere/

Thanks again,
Larry
Old 10-16-2002, 01:40 PM   #6

I hope it wont be for awhile, but man that truck is clean. Was there even a driver in that thing to roll up 433,000 miles.

Anyone looking for a RV toter, must check out Larry's rigs. I can personally tell you that when I tally up what I spent to get my rig to that condition I am easily at the asking price for that truck. Plus his are 4 years newer!

What is the Super 10 trannie all about and how is it shifted? Sounds slick.

Bill

Old 10-16-2002, 02:55 PM   #7

Bill and Larry,
Keep the info coming, sure do enjoy this site. I
check it everyday and sometimes twice, disapointed
when nothing has been added. Would love
to get one of Larry's Volvo's for a motorhome
conversion...but with investments in the tank will
have to wait. Yall have a great day.
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 03:40 PM   #8

I have been following the warpath conversion
since the beginning and its very interesting.

I have just come from the Showhauler site and
the gallery.

I noted the very strong frame , lovely practical
interiors etc.

However, in the construction of the interior photos I noted they are using particle board or pressed wood for the walls.

If this is the only wall material used I would
pay a small premium and have a good quality plywood wall of the same thickness made.

Pressed wood, if it gets wet just gets soggy and
rots very quickly, if they can quarantee absolutely no leaks then the pressed wood would
be OK.

Just a thought, its going to be a lovely home
when finished.
kittywhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 08:12 AM   #9

Warpath,

Thanks for posting the picture of my latest conversion. This Volvo has already been sold. I have a link below concerning the Super 10 Transmission. The transmission in this Volvo is not the "top two". Otherwise, it's identical.

Super 10

onezman

[This message was edited by warpath on October 17, 2002 at 11:52 AM.]
Old 10-17-2002, 08:47 AM   #10

I did pose this question to Show Hauler on why they use the structural board over plywood. And they will probably get back to me later today or tomorrow.

My sole reason for moving into a truck conversion motorhome was to get away from traditional motorhome manufacturing processes. This is just my reasoning, I am not saying a TC mfg'er are bad for using these processes, just what I was looking to get away from. Show Hauler was by far the only guy who went so far above and beyond traditional motorhome manufacturing processes that my decision was easy to go with them. They have some of the items that set them apart at the below link.

The Show Hauler Difference

Old 10-17-2002, 06:49 PM   #11

Hi Warpath,

I went to the Showhauler site you posted. Their Frame contruction does look much stronger than anything I have seen.

Looking at the bottom rear of the unit, it appears to me that using that low a structural configuration might lack sufficient ground clearance. The rear of the Structure appears that it could drag the pavement when going in and out of driveways etc.

This is something I am aware of as I have had it happen several times with my Alfa. The Alfa has rear roller wheels to counter this problem.

OTOH, IM sure they have considered ground clearance. Possibly the wheelbase configuration
prevents this from occuring.

Just a thought,
onezman
Old 10-19-2002, 06:54 AM   #12

Larry -

I also experienced the same dragging rear end on my Coachmen on occation. The over hang will be slightly less on the conversion, and it has not been a issue that Show Hauler has encountered.

As for the OSB structure board Show Hauler uses. OSB by design has much more adhesive within it than does plywood. So it actually resists water penetration better than plywood. Although once it does get wet from a presistant leak it does tend to degrade faster than plywood. OSB has almost a 2 to 1 shear strength advantage over plywood, and I would say the most important advantage is it's 1/3 cost savings over plywood. Since this is one of those overkill areas Show Hauler preforms, they try also to keep costs as low as possible to there customers.