Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #1

Default Interior wall covering

I am in the process of a motorhome with garage conversion.The box is steel framed, outside is fiberglass.My question is what would be the best type of Interior wall covering?I'd like to do a finish like the professional MH have.what is that wall covering called?

daddywoofdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #2

Default Wall Covering

Your choice of wall coverings is a personal one and totally up to you. Your best bet would be to check out an RV sales center and ask. I've seen virtually all types of wall coverings used over the years. I like wood paneling but not the cheap stuff like you may have remembered from a late 60's basement remodeling job. The look today is more that of a luxury upscale executive office or even that of a library in a Victorian mansion. Decide on the look that you want and then go to a paneling store where the choices are very, very extensive. You won't get that in a box store. There is a wide range of patterns of wood look as well as that of a wall paper look. The material is a Masonite like product with a vinyl textured top surface which is very easy to put up and also to take care of. Real wood paneling or even actual bead board or v-groove tongue and groove boards are more expensive, heavier, and harder to put up but it is the real thing. I've seen the full range of all these coverings on new units at large RV centers. I like crown molding but again that can be difficult as the corners require a complex double miter cut unless you use pre-made decorative corner blocks. They look nice and are very easy to put up. All your cuts are right angles and can be done with simple tools. Be sure to use good indoor outdoor construction adhesive to install it. You don't want any squeaks or rattles. Indoor panel adhesive isn't song enough and may not be able to withstand the huge variations in temperatures that your parked motorhome might have to endure.

LesReiselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

hey daddywoofdawg i was going to use quality plywood paneling. 1/8 inch thereabout. hey what kind of fiberglass did you use for the outside. im trying to figure out what to use and were to get it. highdesertranger
highdesertranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #4

HighDesertStranger, I mentioned originally that our truck had been used as a mobile radiology lab and had a rather stark and sterile look to it. The original wall covering was luan plywood with the bonded vinyl covering for the walls and padded vinyl for the ceiling. As there was a lot of water damage from leaks, I stripped everything to the outside FRP and started from scratch. I first sealed all the potential leaks and seams both inside and out and then did it all a second time just to be certain. I used 2 inches of Styrofoam in the walls and 6 in the ceiling and everything is held together with both screws and also construction adhesive. I covered it all with luan and then that with padded vinyl which I got online from a company specializing in doing upscale boat interiors. The foam backing on the vinyl is 1/4 inch and this is held up with spray adhesive and the seams are covered with wood strips to hide the cut edge. I also used push in type fasteners similar to what is used in automotive interiors and even was able to create a nice diamond tufted motif on the ceiling with very little additional effort. This is really a bit more info than you were asking about but what I've ended up with is well worth the extra effort that I'm putting into it. I'm now in the process of installing the cherry cabinets and granite counter tops along with the appliances and I'll be done.
Les Reiselt
1999 Freightliner FL70 with Renegade Conversion, Cat 300 hp Allison 6 speed automatic
Old 09-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #5

Any photos Lee? We're in Sanford, central FL, and hope to start our conversion soon having recently acquired a truck to base it on. What do you use yours for? general traveling around, or for attending events?
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

JBeech, I have been taking pictures all along but have not downloaded any as of yet. I'm located in North Port so just down the road from you. Our plan was to do some general traveling both to family in Ohio and also to go out west to the mountains but as yet have done very little aside from local drives. I have tools spread out inside to expedite any time which I have to spend working. This summer, I have been active managing a local candidate for city commission and more recently my wife's health seriously declined so I haven't done much on the truck. We had looked forward to a significant amount of travel in it but at this point, my plan is to sell it when I have it finished. I can give you the name of the company from which the vinyl came. It is a Florida company.
LesReiselt
1999 Freightliner FL70 with renegade Conversion, Cat 300hp Allison 6 speed automatic
Old 09-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #7

Sorry to hear of your plans to sell, but I understand how things change.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

JBEECH Sadly, my wife passed away in September and I've done nothing on the truck since that time. The back 1/3 is complete and is stunning. The flooring is Pergo and I added two additional windows, one on either side. I've started the bathroom area and have all the supplies to complete the job but at this point would like to sell it as is.

1999 Freightliner FL70 Renegade conversion Cat 300 hp Allison 6 speed 20,000 watt Kubota generator
Old 11-23-2012, 08:50 PM   #9

I am very sorry for your loss.

Keep your chin up pal, you have my condolences.