Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Join Truck Conversion Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Old 11-13-2003, 06:21 PM   #21

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by warpath:
... add a picture by coping the location of the pic online and paste it in the slot when you click the picture icon in the reply window.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Therein lies the problem... how do I find out the location of the picture online? I checked one of the links to your inline photos and its in this format:
www.truckconversion.net/photopost/data/3001/2motorc40.jpg
How do I find out the portion of the link that follows "photopost"?

Regards,
Alan

DrFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:53 PM   #22

So Warpath....are you going to remount your Showhauler or build a total new rig? Any Idea how much for the old rig yet?....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 05:40 AM   #23

It's too bad that one has to go to the 112 to get into the mid-bore motors. The 3126 simply is too small for areas outside the flatlands of the Midwest. (I spent 14 years in Illinois, much of it involved in trucking, and there is a large difference between the conditions there and those in the far east and west.) All of the trucks similar to the M2 have this flaw. The Cat C10 at its highest rating (350/1250, I think, a 50% increase in torque), would probably suffice, but to get there, one ends up in Class 8 land. This is likely to negate the potential advantages of the M2 for someone in a different situation than Warpath's.

The decrease in speed on a real pull (Sherman on I80 in Wyoming, Ryegrass/Vantage on I90 in WA, Jacob's Ladder on I90 in Mass, the rolling hills on I70/I80/I81 in PA, for examples; there are many more) is not merely unpleasant, but dangerous. Since I live out west, and even a short weekend jaunt to central Montana takes me across three stout passes, this is a serious issue for me. (Just commuting to work takes me up Vantage, and I see a lot of problems from speed disparities on that climb.)

Another drawback is the lack of some of the other options. For example, the air suspension for the front axle is only available in the full size class 8s (at least from Freightliner), and that is potentially worthwhile for an RV conversion - I'd sure look closely at it.

Also: has anyone else noticed that the engine classifications listed by Freightliner do not match the listings on Cat's website? I am guessing that Cat may not have updated it, but that's not consistent with my prior experiences with that site.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 09:22 AM   #24

Alan -

When you get to the photo, right click your mouse on the photo and you will get a menu, at the bottom is properties, click on this and the url of the photo is listed, copy this and then paste it in the slot.

Geof -

I have no clue what I would sell my rig for yet. I have so much custom stuff done to this thing, I am still struggling over if I really even want to sell it. I have my pro & con list going and I am leaning towards doing the M2, I just need to think this through. Sometime in the next month or so I will list out everything I have done and into my current rig and try to set a price. I will say I am not going to be giving it away, I want to put together a fair price and if it sells, great if not I am not going to be to worried about.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2003, 10:59 AM   #25

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug:
Also: has anyone else noticed that the engine classifications listed by Freightliner do not match the listings on Cat's website? I am guessing that Cat may not have updated it, but that's not consistent with my prior experiences with that site.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I noticed the inconsistencies between the Freightliner and Caterpillar web pages too. I too am guessing that the Freightliner pages are correct and the Cat pages haven't been updated. A definitive "ruling" would be nice.

I too live in the west and am shunning the 3126 engine for the same reasons you listed (except that I don't have the first-hand experience that you do).

I'm considering an M2-112 with a MBE 4000 engine with at least 375 HP. I'm also interested in knowing more about the new MB autoshift tranny (see: Mercedes AGS) Does anyone have info on this new transmission?

Also, does anyone know if the cab height (top of frame to top of cab) is the same for the 106 and 112?

Last any comments about the lack of front air suspension options on the M2 would be appreciated too.

Bill: Thanks for the tip on posting pictures inline with the correct URL. And thanks for starting this very informative discussion.

Regards,
Alan
Old 11-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #26

It doesn't look like that is available for anything other than the MBE900 motor, here is a press release I found on it:

----------------------------------
The Mercedes-Benz Automated Gear Shift (AGS) transmission used electronic controls and hydraulics to manage all gear changes.

The "two-pedal" design is based on the company's 6-speed manual and will be available with the MBE900 in the Business Class M2 early next year in two torque ratings – 520 lbs. ft. and 660 lbs. ft.

----------------------------------

As for the front air suspension, I have yet to here anyone is running it, so I am not sure that that is a disadvantage. I was just looking at the Brocks ad-a-ride site and they finally have a picture of a setup and I swear my FL dealer put mine on wrong. My front has always sat much higher since we added the air ride and I think it is because they have the top bracket flipped the wrong way, I have to check this out this weekend.

Bill

2003 28' Show Hauler Motorhome on a 1995 FL 120 www.showhauler.com
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 11:57 AM   #27

I found a bit more info on M2 engine/tranny options for 2004 on Today's Trucking

Freightliner rekindles Cummins relationship, expands M2 powertrain options

LAS VEGAS (Sept. 17, 2003) -- Emerging from a time when it made news because of its finances rather than its products, Freightliner Trucks yesterday unveiled new powertrain options for its Business Class M2 medium-duty trucks.
The company has rekindled its relationship with Cummins, offering the engine maker's redesigned ISC and ISL diesels in its M2 line "to compete with the Caterpillar C9" in Freightliner databooks at least through 2007, said Freightliner chief engineer Michael von Mayenburg.

The 8.3-litre ISC and 9-litre ISL have exhaust aftertreatment but do not use exhaust gas recirculation and do not comply with 2004 emission standards from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Cummins will apply "credits" from other compliant engines sold in order to avoid EPA fines.

"In spite of not being '04 compliant, the engines are very competitive as far as price and functionality are concerned," von Mayenburg said.

Freightliner is not expected to expand its relationship with Cummins beyond the ISC and ISL. The company already offers heavy-duty engines from Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, and Mercedes-Benz; the latter two are, like Freightliner, owned by DaimlerChrysler.

The standard engine for the M2 remains the MBE900, available in four- and six-cylinder configurations in horsepower ratings ranging from 170 to 330 hp and torque from 1,350 to 1,550 pounds-feet.

M2 buyers also will be able to spec the Mercedes-Benz Automated Gear Shift (AGS) transmission, a two-pedal, six-speed synchromesh design that requires no manual shifts and no clutch work, because there is no clutch pedal to use.

The transmission mates to the Mercedes-Benz MBE900 engine up to 250 hp. Two torque ratings are offered: 520 pounds-feet for vehicles with a gross combination weight up to 40,000 pounds, and 650 pounds-feet for vehicles with GCWs up to 60,000 pounds. Both have a robust, right-side power-take off, mounted in the 5 o'clock position to avoid interference with the exhaust system.

For applications that require higher torque, Freightliner offers the Eaton AutoShift six-speed.

A manual shift option is available using Freightliner's SmartShift shifter.

Commenting on the addition of the Cummins engines and the new transmission, Von Meyenburg said, "The component situation clearly shows we are selecting the best components in terms of functionality and competitiveness.

"A good mix of proprietary and non-proprietary components offering real benefits for Freightliner customers is the best solution. We are flexible when we see a special opportunity. ... If someone thinks we are moving toward a vertically integrated truck, they have missed the boat."

Regards,
Alan
Old 12-05-2003, 09:24 PM   #28

Send your e-mail about insulation again. I lost it in record time-percoset and 'puters don't mix well....So sorry....back surgery has messed up my week.....geof

geof is offline   Reply With Quote